Follow this company
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization. Founded in 1965, we have built a long-term, local presence in 28 developing nations in Asia, Africa, and Latin America, and provide innovative, market-driven solutions in Agriculture, Renewable Energy, and Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH). SNV works with local partners to equip communities, businesses, and organizations with the tools, knowledge, and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services. SNV USA is the organization’s United States-based 501(c)(3) affiliate connecting North American partners to SNV’s implementation capacity around the world. SNV works to empower people to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own sustainable development. SNV has been operating in Zimbabwe since 1983 supporting smallholder farmers to access markets, primarily in livestock, horticulture, and oilseeds.
For more information, please visit: www.snv.org. Job Description
Start Date – Contingent upon award, anticipated late 2020
Location – Mutare, Zimbabwe Agriculture Market Systems Lead candidates to propose for an anticipated USAID/Food for Peace (FFP) Development Food Security Activity (DFSA) in Zimbabwe. The position is contingent upon contract or grant award.
Through FFP, USAID supports multi-year development food security activities to improve and sustain the food and nutrition security of vulnerable populations. The 5-year Zimbabwe DFSA will work at the individual, household, and systems levels to address the underlying causes of chronic food insecurity to improve and sustain the food and nutrition security of vulnerable populations. This program will reduce food insecurity among vulnerable populations and help build resilience in communities facing chronic poverty and recurrent crises through a multi-sectoral approach including food-supporting agriculture interventions, income diversification, preventive approaches to malnutrition and disaster risk reduction, and other activities.
The Agriculture Market Systems Lead will serve as a technical advisor to the project team, private sector partners, and communities on inclusive value chain development, access to markets and financing, and agribusiness and producer group professionalization. The Agriculture Market Systems Lead will serve as a key member of the program’s technical and leadership teams and is specifically responsible for developing and delivering interventions in output and input market systems to improve livelihoods, agricultural outcomes, nutrition and food security of rural households. The Agriculture Market Systems Lead is expected to have both the technical and management qualifications necessary to manage a team under a USAID‐funded food security program.
- Provide technical leadership and oversight to establish agribusiness capacity building and market system development activities.
- Utilize market facilitation approaches to strengthen input and output market systems and increase access to and affordability of nutritious food in markets. Output market systems activities span from production through end markets, including production and marketing of nutritious foods.
- Analyze all aspects of relevant agricultural market systems related to inputs, services and, targeted crop, livestock and/or aquaculture commodities, from inputs/services through end markets.
- Address priorities related to establishing/strengthening input and output market linkages to encourage and support increased production and income generation.
- Ensure programming supports inclusive growth, with attention to ensuring equitable benefits for women, youth, the very poor, hired labor and other marginalized populations
- Engage private sector partners to foster sector buy-in and program sustainability
- Advise on access to credit and other agricultural trade issues.
- Ensure quality control and timeliness of all deliverables.
- Lead the development of workplans and periodic written program reports in the market systems area.
- Collaborate internally and externally to synthesize, share and apply learning
- Serve as program representative at relevant conferences, stakeholder and donor meetings as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in agribusiness or related field required (Master’s degree preferred), plus eight (8) years of prior work experience in international development or related field, including at least five years of work experience in the agriculture trade and rural development sector;
- Prior management experience required;
- Experience leading market systems activities in projects using the M4P or inclusive market systems approaches, including the use of facilitation tactics and adaptive management;
- Proven record of accomplishment in capacity building of agribusinesses and producer groups of varying sizes, including professionalization, access to finance, and market linkages;
- Experience working with agricultural market systems, value chains, producer and farmer associations, including working with marketing groups, private sector partners, and NGO’s/Associations;
- Knowledge of Zimbabwean environmental and agriculture legislation and issues preferred;
- Familiarity with Government of Zimbabwe structures and reporting systems desirable;
- Strong intercultural skills, excellent networking skills and high-level learning skills;
- Ability to work independently in various environments and geographic settings;
- Strong commitment, passion and positive attitude to work;
- Strong communication and writing skills;
- Proficiency in MS-Office and other computer applications;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work in a team and be self-motivated;
- English language written and verbal fluency is required.
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a highly professional and diverse working environment.
For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org
Please note the position is contingent upon award. The anticipated start date is late 2020.
Award Duration: 5 years
How to apply: Please submit a cover letter, your CV, and three references all in English.
SNV USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. SNV encourages applications from qualified persons of every race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, and disability.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.