Africa Investment Director
Years of experience:
13 Dec 2019
Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
Reporting to the Africa Field Division’s Regional Senior Director for Conservation Finance, the Investment Director will have the primary responsibility for the day to day investing activities that support the development of sustainable finance models for programs and projects through the Division. Existing pursuits include the Sustainable Finance Solutions Hub, climate-smart financial inclusion (micro-finance and micro-insurance) and carbon financing
These will include the origination, negotiation and execution of new investment opportunities, program management, and fundraising.
The position requires a high level of interaction across multiple Divisions, with external clients and will require representation externally at global conferences and events, developing and maintaining partnerships with investment and development partners engaged in Conservation Finance, grantees and implementing partners
- Manage the day-to-day investing activities of CI Ventures (CIV) in Africa through:
- Deal origination: Articulating an investment strategy for the Africa portfolio;
- Investment Negotiation: Leading deal structuring and negotiation of terms with clients; designing and implementing conservation covenants, performance incentives, and innovative financing structures
- Deal Execution: Developing relevant conservation and investment briefs; coordinating internal approval process with relevant departments
- Active Portfolio & Post-Investment: Maintaining an active and supportive relationship with clients; coordinating closely with investees to pursue improvement and opportunities; developing and/or contributing to assessment tools to monitor and evaluate client-specific and portfolio-wide impact;
- Governance: Ensure all activities of CIV are carried out in compliance with internal standards and provisions and Investor/Donor requirements.
- Investment Partner Relationship Management; Mapping out the global network of partners in environmental impact investing in Africa; developing formal MOU’s for investor partner relationships with over 5 investment partners in each CIV market
- Communications and External Events: Raising the profile of CFD through internal/external communications and speaking and external events
- Support fundraising efforts and explore new and joint funding opportunities within the global donor and grants sphere. Ensure that the quality of funding proposals is high and compliant with funder interests and requirements.
The deadline for receipt of applications is December 13, 2019
Applicants will need to have the legal right to work in South Africa without employer sponsorship.
View all Conservation International Career Opportunities HERE
Conservation International Values
We expect that all employees will embrace the values of our organization.
Passion: We are inspired by nature and cherish the diversity of life in all of its forms.
Respect: We respect and trust each other, and we embrace our diversity of cultures, talents, and experiences.
Integrity: We act with integrity and are accountable for our actions.
Optimism: We are optimistic about the future of life on Earth and are confident that, with our partners, we will achieve unprecedented conservation results.
Courage: We tirelessly pursue our vision, taking bold action and persevering through challenges.
Teamwork: We work together, recognizing that openness, collaboration and cooperation are fundamental to achieving a healthy and prosperous world for all.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled