Under the overall guidance of Operations Manager and direct supervision of the Admin/Finance Associate, the Administrative Assistant provides services related to travel and standard administrative processes ensuring high quality and accuracy of work in order to obtain the optimum travel services. He/she analyzes and interprets rules and guidelines regarding travel and entitlements and provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex issues related to travel. The Admin Assistant closely monitors travel expenditures and internal cost and ensures their timely and accurate billing, settlement and cost recovery. The Administrative Assistant promotes a collaborative, client-focused, quality and results-oriented approach in the delivery of travel services.
The Administrative Assistant works in close collaboration with Projects, UN agencies, Programme and Operations teams in the CO to ensure consistent service delivery.
Summary of Key Functions:
1. Ensures implementation of operational strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of UN/UNDP rules and regulations, policies and strategies on travel management.
- Ensure implementation of cost saving measures through negotiation with travel service provider, arrangement of the most economic route and appropriate itinerary.
2. Supports travel management processes for CO, NIM/DIM projects and at the request of other Agencies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Processing of Travel Requests in Atlas. Ensures availability of budget according to COA.
- Processing of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the travel services provided by UNDP to other Agencies.
- Follow-up with contracted travel agent to ensure provision of high quality professional service and most competitive price.
- Provision of information to the staff on travel including entitlements, travel route and hotel arrangement.
- Processing travel requests and travel claims in line with travel entitlements for staff, consultants, UN and visitors, ensuring that the travel arrangement follow the UN rules of most direct route and most competitive prices.
- Hotel reservations for visiting UN/UNDP officials.
- Processing requests for visas for all UN travelers, as well as requests for Resident Permit and Diplomatic Identification Card for international staff.
- Arrangement for airport pick-up of high-level officials and support to expediting of customs and immigration procedures, as necessary.
- Preparation of routine correspondence, faxes, memoranda and reports in accordance with CO SOP.
- Reconciliation of prepayments to DDS, Airport.
3. Ensures effective administrative and logistical support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Cash custodian functions for country office petty cash.
- Collection of information for DSA, travel agencies and other administrative surveys, support to organization of common services.
- Act as an Asset Focal for the CO assets and attractive items
- Act as a Custodian of transfer documents for non-UNDP assets transfers to national partners
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials.
- Research and retrieval of statistical data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports.
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to head of unit.
- Provision of inputs for preparation of the office budget, provision of information for audit.
4. Contributes to implementation of sourcing strategy focusing on achievement of the following result:
- Collection and analysis of market situation on travel service area. Support in conducting surveys/biddings of travel services.
- Conduction of DSA survey; survey and analysis of most competitive hotel prices and quality of hotel services; submission of report to HQ and distribution of the Hotel list to all UN agencies.
- Support in preparation of TOR for travel and hotel services LTA’s Provision of support to Head of Admin/Finance Unit and Operations Manager in asset management
5. Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the training for the programme, operations and projects staff on asset management and travel.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the execution of the CO travel services management in terms of quality and accuracy of work completed. Accurate data entry, presentation of information and client-oriented approach enhances UNDP capability in provision of efficient and first-class travel services.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Level 1.1: Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Level 1.1: Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Responds to client needs promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Level 1.1: Gathering and disseminating information
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
UNDP Procurement Certification programme
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or Finance. Specialized training in procurement and travel would be desirable.
2 years of relevant experience in the areas of finance, administration, procurement or travel. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and experience in handling of web based management systems.
Fluency in the English language and good knowledge of Uzbek/Russian language.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension