UNOPS APO Bangkok
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
The UNOPS Bangkok Shared Service Centre (BSSC) is a Shared Services Centre (SSC) unit established for the purpose of providing internal, global, cost-effective transactional services which enhance the operational capacity of UNOPS and standardize systems and procedures. The BSSC, among other functions, carries out high-quality transactional services within the area of personnel contract administration and payroll.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Finance and Accounting Service Unit’s Team Lead and the overall supervision of the Finance and Accounting Service Unit’s Manager; the Administration Senior Assistant provides a range of administrative and financial services to corporate, portfolio and client managers and associates. The incumbent’s main role is to assist in calculating and raise requests for payments for travel/daily subsistence allowance payments. The incumbent will be working in close collaboration with Finance and Travel policy owners, Travel Focal Points in Regional/Project Centres and with UNOPS HQ staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery in line with the current practices and travel policies. Besides the daily tasks, the incumbent will assist the Finance and Accounting Services’ Team Lead in organizing daily tasks for the DSA Calculation team.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of operational strategies and procedures
- Operations & administrative support
- Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing
1. Ensures implementation of operational strategies and procedures, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of operations with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Inputs to the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in operations, in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
- Assist BSSC management in any further roll out of the DSA team’s services to other offices/regions.
- Contribute/provide feedback on future system tool(s) being developed by UNOPS ICT team that will be used by the DSA Team with the aim of further efficiency gains.
2. Provides administrative support to travelers who are under BSSC travel portfolio, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Creates/processes timely and accurate DSA/travel related payments in line with UNOPS Travel Policies and procedures.
- Provide advice and answers general queries on travel procedures and processes.
- Ensure UNOPS documentation retention policy is being followed in relation to the payments being raised by the DSA team.
- Ensure that all travels processed by the team are accurate and correctly logged on the DSA log book.
- Assist in future recruitment and performance appraisal of team members of the DSA team.
- Manage and coordinate team members’ leave plans
- Familiarize and provide feedback to BSSC management on any new system tools that may potentially affect services of the DSA Team.
3. Provides support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support the organization and delivery of training and learning initiatives for personnel on travel related topics.
- Prepare/draft knowledge material and templates used by the DSA Team when necessary or based on request from supervisor.
- Assist in training/onboarding new team members.
- Contribute feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilize productively.
- Draft/prepare presentation material upon request from supervisor or Finance and Accounting Service Team’s Manager.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Education: Secondary education is required. A university degree (preferably in Business Administration, Social Science or related area) is an asset.
Experience: Minimum of 5 years of relevant working experience within the areas of administration or a related field is required. Knowledge of UNOPS or UN travel policy; working knowledge of ERP (particularly Agresso), experience with GSuite are desired.
Language Requirements: Fluency in English is essential. Knowledge of another official UNOPS language is an asset.
Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement
Contract level: LICA 5
Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.