Under the guidance and supervision of the DSS Chief Security Adviser and the Fleet Manager, the Driver will provide reliable and safe driving services ensuring high accuracy of work. The Driver demonstrate a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
The Driver provide driving services to the operations and DSS staff in the DSS CO, Consultants and Experts and UN staff on mission.
The duty station is Raqqa hub, but the selected candidate will be based in Qamishli hub for temporary period.
- Ensures provision of reliable and secure driving services by a) driving UN Official vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items and b) meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport or border posts, helping them with visa and customs formalities arrangement when required;
- Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle, maintaining the daily vehicle logs, checking the fuel and oil consumption, following the schedule of maintenance and providing any required report;
- Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc. He is also responsible for the operation and maintenance of vehicle tracking equipment and the emergency communication equipment installed in the vehicle;
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, PPEs and helmets (if provided), ETB Bag (if provided), first aid kit, toolkits, and necessary spare parts (through Fleet Manager). He must sign an inventory list that will be kept by the Fleet Manager;
- Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents or incidents.
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the accurate, safe and timely execution of the CO services.
Planning and Organizing:
- Demonstrated ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor his/her own work plan with minimum supervision. Ability to work under pressure or in crisis situations. Availability to travel within the area of responsibility.
- Ability to actively seek to improve services, offer new and different options to solve problems/meet client needs, and promote and persuade others to consider new ideas
- Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to listen and work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Proven and sustained communication (verbal and written) skills.
- High School certificate and valid driving license.
- 3 years’ work experience as a driver prior experience with the UN system or an International NGO is desirable; safe driving record; knowledge of driving rules & regulations, skills in minor vehicle repair, knowledge of the areas of duty-stations (Aleppo, Homs, Tartus & Damascus).
- Fluency in Arabic, knowledge of English.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 6 months with possibility for extension