Senior International Specialist(s) on Waste Management
UNDP – United Nations Development Programme
Open positions at UNDP
Earn money by selling insurances
Become a SafetyWing ambassador
UNDP Cambodia Country Office works in partnership with the Royal Government of Cambodia (RGC), non-government organizations, civil society organizations, community-based organizations, multilateral aid agencies, bilateral donors and private sector to support the progress towards the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
To assist the country to promote and achieve SDGs, the Policy and Innovation Hub (PIH) has provided high level policy and technical advisory support to the government, focusing on three pillars, 1. Prosperity, 2. Planet, and 3. People. Main focus areas under the Planet pillar include climate change, natural resources, waste, circular economy and energy.
Duties and Responsibilities
The main role of the senior international specialist is to provide technical assistance for priority policy initiatives in the field of chemicals and waste management through the following set of activities:
Policy, Research and Strategy Development:
- Analyse developments in sectors relevant for chemicals and waste including plastic waste, hazardous waste, E-waste and organic waste in Cambodia;
- Conduct technical analyses including value chain analysis, waste characterization, and feasibility studies of waste management solutions;
- Prepare policy briefs, reports and power point presentations on developmental challenges/issues/solutions related to waste management;
- Identify and design strategies and measures (e.g. Extended Producer Responsibility) for engaging the private sector for waste management;
- Make recommendations for course of action with a focus on activities with highest value added in terms of systemic change and/or quick wins; and
- Identify barriers and proposed recommendations for policy interventions and development.
Technical Advisory & Capacity Development
- Provide high quality technical inputs to trainings and technical assistance to partners on matters related to plastic waste, hazardous waste, E-waste and organic waste;
- Provide technical input and support for capacity building of national partners in developing and updating methodologies and procedures for safe management of waste.
Project Design and Formulation:
- Prepare conceptual frameworks/concept notes based on developmental challenges within target waste sector/ sub-sectors;
- Provide technical assistance in identification of developmental challenges, target areas, project target groups and partners and formulation of implementation strategy for UNDP support;
- Provide technical support in development of new interventions/projects with implementation (operational plan, monitoring and resource requirement), institutional, financial and management arrangements;
- Conduct studies on project/program highlights, activities and processes involved;
- Prepare project proposals to ensure innovation in concepts, strategies, theory of change, results-orientation using log frames, and incorporation of best practices;
- Prepare project documents following UNDP rules and procedures;
- Develop work plans, budgets, monitoring and procurement plans.
- Knowledge of chemicals and waste issues including related regulatory, fiscal and economic measures such as Stockholm, Rotterdam, and Minamata conventions and obligations
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Fulfils all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in Environmental Management and Policy or Sciences, Engineering, Waste Management, or other related fields
- At least 7 years of working experience in analysis, policy support, design and project development in the field of waste management (plastic, chemicals, e-waste, or organic waste) in developing countries contexts. Prior experience working with Cambodia is a plus.
- Prior experiences in conducting value chain analysis, waste characterization, and feasibility studies.
- Experiences in formulating project proposals for Global Environmental Facility (GEF) projects related to chemicals and waste is a plus.
- Excellent writing, editing and oral communication skills in English is required.
Interested offeror must read the Individual Consultant (IC) Procurement Notice, which can be viewed at https://procurement-notices.undp.org/view_notice.cfm?notice_id=96935 more detail information about term of references, instructions to offeror, and to download the documents to be submitted in the offer through online.
UNDP reserves right to reject any applications that is incomplete.
Please be informed that we don’t accept application submitted via email.
Interested Offerors are required to submit application via UNDP jobsite system as the application screening and evaluation will be done through UNDP jobsite system. Please note that UNDP jobsite system allows only one uploading of application document, so please make sure that you merge all your documents into a single file. Your online applications submission will be acknowledged where an email address has been provided. If you do not receive an email acknowledgement within 24 hours of submission, your application may not have been received. In such cases, please resubmit the application, if necessary. Please combine all your documents into one (1) single PDF document as the system only allows to upload maximum one document.
Interested individual offeror must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
1. Proposal: Letter of explaining why they are most suitable for the work
2. Financial proposal (Duly accomplished Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability using the template provided by UNDP)
3. Personal CV including past experience in similar projects and at least 3 references
Any request for clarification/additional information on this procurement notice shall be communicated in writing to UNDP office or send to email firstname.lastname@example.org and cc email@example.com . While the Procurement Unit would endeavor to provide information expeditiously, only requests receiving at least 3 working days prior to the submission deadline will be entertained. Any delay in providing such information will not be considered as a reason for extending the submission deadline. The UNDP’s response (including an explanation of the query but without identifying the source of inquiry) will be posted in Individual Consultant (IC) Procurement Notice page as provided above. Therefore, all prospective Offerors are advised to visit the page regularly to make obtain update related to this Individual Consultant (IC).