- Coordinate document processing related to project development in the region (regional and country level projects) as relevant to all stages of the project cycle;
- Collection, analysis and checking for accuracy and consistency of information against established formats;
- Updating the UNDP-GEF project data base (PIMS+);
- Tracking required information for project completion and/or processing requirements;
- Following-up on correspondence with project proponents, Country Offices (COs) and UNDP-GEF Headquarters; and
- Processing documentation for submission, including final quality check regarding accuracy and compliance with formats and guidelines.
- Effective communication to COs on the processes relating to Delegation of Authority (DOA) and ensure COs receive a DOA Letter and the approved final UNDP Project Document and any other associated/necessary documents and requested clearance (including financial and technical clearance) in a timely manner once UNDP-GEF receives an approval/endorsement from a source of funds;
- Ensures Annual Work Plans are submitted for Regional Technical Advisor’s (RTA) approval and Authorized Spending Limit (ASL) issuance;
- Assist the Regional Technical Advisors in reviewing projects’ annual and multi-year work plans in a timely manner, ensuring compliance with Donor requirements in terms of budgeting and identify irregularities;
- Assist the Management and Programme Support Analyst in regional portfolio analysis, in particular, ensuring all data necessary for the analysis is collected from COs and consistent for any specific projects under his/her portfolio;
- Assist COs in completing budget revision processes in time for on-going projects under his/her portfolio.
- Ensure all project information in UNDP-GEF database (PIMS+) is correct and up to date at all time from the creation of a project in PIMS+ until the project’s operational and financial closure for projects under his/her portfolio;
- Monitor project delivery and submission of progress reports and budget revisions for the region, identifying reasons for shortfall in delivery and alert RTAs of any projects with concerns;
- Undertake financial monitoring of the portfolio in the region and analyze individual projects’ budgets and budget revisions in close coordination with the COs and RTAs;
- Assist in all aspects of regional portfolio management, including tracking of standard project related management actions, monitoring and evaluation requirements and progress reports (TPR/APR, PIR) including processing of required documentation;
- Maintains the electronic project data base fully updated and, where necessary, organizes and maintains hard-copy files of all projects and associated information and official documentation;
- Assist in the preparation, updating, and dissemination of PowerPoint and other presentations and in managing dissemination of information that describe the work and achievements of UNDP-GEF via the media;
- Conduct financial follow-up and advise Country Offices (or executing agencies in case of regional or global projects without Project Principle Resident Representatives) with regard to the deployment of the funds and the project closure, as well as, the preparation of the quarterly reports flagging to the RTA any discrepancies, need for action, or progress in disbursement;
- Maintain close contact with COs on projects in varying stages of the project cycle, tracking project development and/or implementation progress against established time-frames for project maturation and/or the attainment of implementation milestones as indicated in project annual work plans, recommending courses of action as appropriate and bringing to the RTAs’ attention all technical issues that require attention/resolution;
- Draft correspondence and assist with other administrative tasks, as required;
- Backstop other members of the Team and performs ad-hoc tasks, as required, to ensure the Team will deliver at the highest standard;
- Support in all aspects of the organization of meetings, seminars, and workshops including making timely conference room booking, assisting in preparing, sending, and following up on invitations, agendas and/or background documentation, etc.
- Managing information flow between COs and HQ on the regional portfolio to meet all reporting requirements;
- In coordination with RTAs, advise environmental focal points on procedural issues, approval processes and associated time-frames related to UNDP-GEF project cycle management, according to the UNDP POPP, UNDP-GEF Programming Manual, and any other appropriate Advisory Notes and guidelines;
- Assist COs, Europe and CIS Team, or HQs on staff recruitment processes and consultant procurement processes, including the development of TORs, finalizing advertisements, long and short listing, organizing interviews, ensuring necessary records and documentation throughout the recruitment process, etc., as requested by RTAs;
- Work in close collaboration with the UNDP-GEF Management and Programme Support Unit and the operations, programme and projects’ staff in COs as required for resolving complex issues related to project administration or portfolio management;
- Organize UNDP-GEF training programmes and workshops in the region as appropriate, including logistics, communications with COs, documentation requirements, and any other logistical and administrative support.
- Learn from and contribute to corporate knowledge tools including programming manual and PA training manuals;
- Organize and participate in UNDP-GEF training programmes and workshops as required, oversee logistics, documentation, and preparation/review of budget and authorization of expenses;
- Coordinate focal area knowledge management activities. Manage dissemination of information through Power Point or similar means, resulting in public awareness of the work and achievements of UNDP-GEF;
- Undergo training in UNDP and vertical fund requirements.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Ability to persuade others to follow.
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Ability to get things done.
- Ability to perform administrative and procedural activities to insure that quality requirements and goals are fulfilled.
- Ability to manage programmes and projects with a strategy aimed at improved performance and demonstrable results.
- Ability to organize and retrieve data in a useful fashion.
- Ability to evaluate data and derive relevant findings.
- Knowledge of methodologies, tools, systems and apply practical experience in planning, monitoring, evaluating and reporting.
- Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge.
- Ability to plan, organize, motivate, and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
- Secondary education with at least 6 years of relevant experience preferably with specialized certification in Business or Public Administration, Finance or related area;
- A Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences, Natural Resources Management or other closely with at least 3 years of relevant experience would be desirable;
- Certification in project management would be an added advantage.
- Minimum of 3-6 years of experience in financial resources management, budget management or Administrative support functions;
- Solid experience in project oversight and/or management highly desirable;
- Knowledge of tools and methodologies to follow-up on projects or project cycle management;
- Experience at the national or international level with organizations that manage grants is an advantage;
- Demonstrated interest in the environment is an asset;
- Mastery in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, as a minimum, database management as a plus) and demonstrated experience in web research;
- Good knowledge of an ERP System (such as Atlas) and UNDP Procurement, Finance and Accounting structure will be considered an advantage;
- Knowledge of UNDP-GEF is an advantage.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Turkish;
- Knowledge of Russian, French, and/or Arabic strongly desired;
- Proficiency in other UN languages is an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 364 days