The UN Resident Coordinator (RC) provides leadership to the Pacific Joint UN Country Team and the UN’s programming work, as outlined in the UN Pacific Strategy, in support of national priorities. The RC has a team composed of national and international staff, forming the Fiji RC Multi-Country Office (RCO), and is based in Suva, Fiji. The RCO Fiji oversees 10 Pacific Small Island Developing States (Pacific SIDS or PSIDS), namely Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Tonga, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, and Vanuatu. Twenty-six resident and non-resident UN entities are signatories to the UNPS and members of The Pacific Joint UN Country Team.
The RCO fulfils ten core coordination functions, namely strategic analysis and planning; oversight of the UN country programming cycle; representation of and support of UN Secretariat and UN agencies (incl. non-resident agencies); support to national coordination systems and processes; development and management of shared operational support services; crisis management preparedness and response; external communication and advocacy; human rights and development; joint resource mobilisation and fund management; and general UNCT oversight and coordination.
UN’s support to Tonga include regional and country focused programmes in the areas of Climate Change, Disaster Resilience and Environmental Protection; Gender Equality; Inclusive Growth, Equitably Basic Services; Governance and Community Engagement; and Human Rights. Most UN technical advisory assistance is provided from the office in Fiji; the current UN staffing in Tonga is approx. 5 international and national personnel.
The Country Coordination Specialist will be based in the UN Office in Tonga and report directly to the RC in Fiji. The work includes substantive collaboration with the team in Fiji as well as UN colleagues and national partners in Tonga. Tasks include but is not limited to support to strategic planning, coordination, monitoring and reporting of UN country level programming and partnership to advance on Agenda 2030 and the SDGs in line with national priorities and other functions as may be delegated by the RC and / or RCO Team Leader.
Under the guidance of the RCO Team Leader and in close collaboration with the M&E Specialist in Fiji RC Multi-Country Office, ensure strategic planning, coordination, monitoring, and reporting of UN country level programming:
- support the country level planning of UN programming aligned with the UN Pacific Strategy/UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework;
- support continuous monitoring, population and analysis of country level indicator data to inform reporting as well as further programming and resource mobilisation;
- Identify entry points for UN programming in support of national development strategies and the SDGs;
- Provide country context information to results groups and other inter-agency working groups under the UNPS;
- Support the RC and Pacific UNCT in identifying risks and opportunities related with specific partnerships and programming, and suggest mitigation measures as relevant;
- Support UN’s accountability to national entities through reporting, dialogue and consultations as required;
- Support facilitation of UN agencies’ correspondences and communication to national entities;
- Support UN incoming missions with establishing contact with relevant entities, suggestion for mission programme, provide supporting materials;
- Participate on behalf of the UN in development and coordination platforms.
- Strategic inputs and technical support to policy integration work on Samoa Pathway and SDF for RCO in Government and stakeholders’ platforms.
- In cases of humanitarian responses, under the guidance
Together with the Partnership and Development Finance Specialist based in Fiji RC Multi-Country Office strengthen partnership for resource mobilisation with country and regional level development entities, including:
- Provide strategic guidance and support to development and implementation of locally tailored partnerships and resource mobilization strategies and initiatives to engage partners, both traditional and non-traditional, for example through analysis of UN financial data, Common Budgetary Framework details and national development budgets as relevant to Tonga;
- Ensure good understanding of all existing resource mobilization partnerships and relationships at the country level, including organising development partners/donor meetings;
- Support in development of partnership engagement for continuity;
- In alignment with the UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Frameworks and MAPS (Mainstreaming, Acceleration and Policy Support) and similar processes, provide technical and advisory support on Financing for Development options, instruments, and modalities to the RC and the UNCT;
- Analyze trends and provide advisory services on new and innovative financing mechanisms for development and SDG acceleration;
- Facilitate engagement with, and guide and support external stakeholders -including national government, international financial institutions and others – on Financing for SDG acceleration.
- Provide country context guidance in design and implementation of innovative proposals to strengthen the UNCT’s engagement and reputation, and to generate greater financial resources in support of the SDGs.
- Encourage country context in design, formulation, and implementation, monitoring and reporting of joint programmes, and joint programming processes amongst UN entities with a view for joint resource mobilization;
Together with the Communications Staff based in Fiji RC Multi-Country Office strengthen Advocacy, External Relations, Communications at the country level:
- In support of the UN Communications Strategy and the UN Communications Group, establish and build the UN brand via events, media and public relations opportunities targeted to the diverse partners. This could include lead country level commemorations of international days such as UN Day, Humanitarian Day, 16 Days of Activism and other globally established days as appropriate;
- Identify developments at country level which will require communications actions by the RC;
- Support the roll out of the UN75 Campaign
Together with Fiji RC Multi-Country Office Team ensure effective and efficient Knowledge Generation and Management advocating for country contexts;
- Manage the development, maintenance and sharing of knowledge and intelligence such as political, socio-economic and environmental development and communicate such, to ensure RC and Pacific UNCT are informed and well positioned to effectively generate and harness opportunities to advance on the Agenda 2030 as well as maintain political dialogue with member states;
- Coordinate country level UN meetings to facilitate information sharing amongst UN resident agencies, identify common areas of work and ensure areas of common concern are addressed appropriately;
- Provide briefings and information on UN’s activities and mandates as required to national entities;
- Develop briefing papers, talking points, speeches, concept notes, letters, presentations etc, on issues related to the country context for the RC and other colleagues as appropriate;
- Attend RCO Fiji Team meetings and other platforms to remain up-to-date on developments around the Pacific and share information and experience about the country context.
UN Coordination Office
- Support appropriate admin, finance and logistic processes of the coordination related aspects of the UN Office as per UN Regulations and Rules and in close collaboration with relevant UN entity and national counterparts
- Liaise with Area Security Coordinator and UNDSS staff to support UN personnel’s security and safety both at residence as well as work place;
- Facilitate inputs to, and follow-up of, Operation Management Team tasks conducted at the country level as outlined in the Business Operations Strategy;
- Develop a work plan and budget related to coordination of UN activities in the country;
- Any other tasks assigned related to management of the Office.
Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Ability to persuade others to follow
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Education: Master’s Degree or equivalent in Economics, Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Sciences or related field.
Experience: 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects. Knowledge about the UN and RC systems would be an advantage. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Language Requirements: Fluency in English and the working language of the duty station. Working knowledge of other UN language desirable.
Other: Describe any additional qualifications: Non-Smoking environment
Important applicant information
All posts in the NO categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension