PNUD en Cuba
Job ID: 27419
Practice Area – Job Family: UN Coordination – UN COORDINATION TEAM ASSOCIATE
Vacancy End Date: (Midnight New York, USA) 13/12/2019
Duty Station: Havana, Cuba
Education & Work Experience: E-Technical School – 6 year(s) experience
Languages: English, Spanish
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
Posting Type: External
Bureau: Latin America & the Caribbean
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
Los puestos categoría de Servicios Generales (GS) están sujetos a reclutamiento local, personas reclutadas dentro y residentes del país. Es posible que se apliquen disposiciones especiales para el personal de GS contratado localmente en países donde los extranjeros que son residentes del lugar de destino han recibido el estatus legal de trabajo por parte del gobierno anfitrión.
Under the direct supervision of the UN Resident Coordinator, and the guidance of the UNRCO Team Leader, the UN Coordination Team Associate provides assistance to the execution of services in the UN Coordination Unit by managing data and providing support to UN activities implementation. He/She must also provide secretarial assistance to the UN Resident Coordinator ensuring full confidentiality in all aspects of assignment, maintenance of protocol procedures, management of information flow and follow-up on deadlines and commitments made. The UN Coordination Associate promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
The UN Coordination Team Associate works in close collaboration with the UNRCO team leader and supports management, operations, programme and projects. S/he liaises with UN Agencies staff for resolving complex UN programme-related issues and exchange of information.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provision of secretarial assistance to the UN Resident Coordinator and Coordination Unit under the guidance of the RCO Team Leader.
- Support to effective and efficient functioning of the unit
- Assists in the creation of communications materials
- Provision of administrative services
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1. Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the UN Resident Coordinator focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the supervisor’s calendar, contacts with high-level visitors, arrangement of appointments and meetings, acting as an interpreter when required and/or taking minutes.
- Maintenance of protocol procedures
- Preparation of informal translations
- Management of RC missions and representation schedule
- Maintenance of rosters of high-level partners, telephone lists
- Preparation of correspondence, directives, comments on behalf of RC for his/her signature and making follow-up when required
- Use of automated office management systems for effective functioning of the RC office
2. Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the UN Coordination Unit, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Contacts with visitors and staff, arrangement of appointments and meetings, acting as an interpreter when required and/or taking minutes;
- Compilation and preparation of briefing and presentation materials, reports, background information and documentation for meetings and missions;
- Translation of simple correspondences, when needed.
- Facilitation of information sharing between UNCT and the UN Coordination Unit
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to the RC/RCO
- Screening of all incoming calls and correspondence
- Presentation of proposals to eliminate communication bottlenecks in the office streamline procedures between the supervisor’s office and subordinate division
3. Ensures effective managerial and administrative support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Administrative support for inter-agency working groups and structures workplans and activities, including financial monitoring of cost-sharing resources, maintenance of an internal income and expenditures control system, assistance in the preparation of budgets, provision of information for audit.
- Liaise with UNDP on a daily basis for operational and administrative support issues in regard to the services provided to RCO and its activities;
- Support the research and retrieval of data from internal and external sources; preparation of charts, tables and reports;
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to head of UN Coordination Unit;
- Administrative support to conferences, workshops, retreats;
- Maintenance of the UN Coordination Unit filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials;
5. Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the training for the operations/projects staff on administration;
- Organization of specialized trainings for secretaries or others if needed
- Support on the organization of trainings from the UN Coordination Unit to UN Staff
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Advocacy/Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda (For UN Coordination)
- 1: Support the preparation of information for advocacy
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for a variety of audiences
- Makes research of contacts in the media, government, private sector, donors, other agencies, civil society in other stakeholders for UN’s advocacy efforts
Results-Based Programme Development and Management (For UN Coordination)
- 1: Contributing to results through provision of information
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals
Building Strategic Partnerships (For UN Coordination)
- 1: Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
- Maintains databases of donor information
- Tracks and reports on mobilized resources
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches (For UN Coordination)
- 1: Implementing processes and uses products
- Responds positively to new approaches
Resource Mobilization (For UN Coordination)
- 1: Providing information and documentation to resource mobilization
- Records information on donor contributions/funding in a timely, organized and accessible manner
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing (For UN Coordination)
- 1: Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- 1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools, and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UN Coordination’s Goals
- 1: Research and analysis
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for UN’s goals for a variety of audiences
- Maintains a network of contacts in the media and civil society, for use in UN’s advocacy efforts
- Support the identification of opportunities for advocating for UN’s mandate
- 1: Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
Minimum educational requirement of High School/Technical School (Mínimo Nivel Medio Superior: Preuniversitario o Técnico Medio). University Degree or equivalent in Communication, Administration, International Relations or another related field would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
At least 6 years of progressively responsible administrative and managerial support experience is required at the national or international level. Experience in the provision of high-level secretarial services. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc). Experience in project management, budget management and monitoring of financial information is highly desirable; Experience in preparation of managerial and administrative support and provision of high-level secretarial services to international personnel is an asset.
Fluency in the Spanish and English is required.
Fluency in another UN Language will be an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.