Northeast Nigeria is currently facing a growing humanitarian crisis with a vast number of Internally Displaced Persons in need of emergency assistance. These IDPs are living among host communities, lacking access to livelihoods and resources, ultimately leading to unprecedented levels of malnutrition and food insecurity. FHI360 has been working in Nigeria for over 30 years and is now expanding activities in Borno state to respond to the IDP crisis.
FHI360 is expanding its expertise by responding to this humanitarian crisis through integrated WASH, Health and Protection interventions
The TO WASH will provide technical and programmatic support in the three field sites. Under the supervision of the Field Manager with technical oversight from the WASH Coordinator, S/He will supervise contracts to provide upgrades to water systems, latrines, showers and water points. Other responsibilities will include conducting water quality testing for all water points rehabilitated under the program and working with Community Volunteers and latrine users to develop cleaning and maintenance schedules for latrines.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Coordinate day to day operational and programmatic support to all WASH activities.
- Supervise the environmental health component of the program and ensure effective service delivery
- Support in designing frameworks and indicators to monitor WASH and environmental health components of the program
- Works closely with assigned team to ensure activities are implemented according to standard operating procedures (SOP’s).
- Build capacity of Community Volunteers (CHWs) through trainings and hygiene promotion.
- Oversee activities related to hygiene and environmental health promotion at field site and additionally, at the health facilities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Knowledge of WASH and humanitarian programming in emergency situations.
- WASH technical expertise especially in regards to engineering latrines, showers and water points.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English & Hausa communication.
Qualifications and Requirements:
BSc/BEng. in engineering with 5 to 7 years’ relevant experience in WASH with a sound understanding of hygiene in humanitarian relief settings.
Or MPH or MS/MA in relevant degree with 3 to 5 years relevant experience in WASH with a sound understanding of hygiene in humanitarian relief settings.
Familiarity with Nigerian public sector health systems and NGOs and CBOs is highly desirable.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
- Job City Maiduguri, Nigeria