CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST – VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT : 1902914
Specialists for the Evaluation Team
Job Posting: 09/Dec/2019
Closure Date: 10/Jan/2020, 10:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit : OED
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition : Consultant / PSA (Personal Services Agreement)
Grade Level : N/A
Primary Location: Home-Based
Duration : from 40 to 50 days spread over 3-4 months
Post Number : N/A
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The FAO Office of Evaluation (OED) is seeking Expressions of Interest (EOIs) from qualified individuals to join the team for the Evaluation of FAO’s Strategy for Partnerships with the Civil Society Organizations . The FAO Governing bodies have requested the FAO Office of Evaluation to conduct this evaluation, with the expected completion by July 2020. The evaluation will aim at providing evidence-based analysis of the appropriateness of the Strategy and related achievements.
The main purpose of this evaluation is to provide FAO management and governing bodies with an assessment of the progress made by FAO towards implementing its Strategy for partnerships with the civil society organizations. Namely, the evaluation intends to examine the extent to which the Strategy has contributed to FAO’s role in promoting the quality and scope of partnerships with the civil society organizations. It will seek to examine the appropriateness of the design of the Strategy and its supporting mechanisms and approaches, assess the Strategy’s implementation modalities and report on the achievements resulting from partnerships with the civil society organizations. In addition, the evaluation aims at determining the reasons why the expected results of the strategy did or didn’t occur. The evaluation will also aim at identifying good practices and lessons learned during implementation of the Strategy to assist in decision-making around the formulation of future partnership development approaches.
The evaluation will be led and managed by the FAO Office of Evaluation (OED) with inputs from independent technical experts, who will make substantial written contributions in their respective areas of expertise. International consultants will conduct the evaluation-related tasks under the supervision and guidance of OED Evaluation Manager.
The FAO Office of Evaluation is seeking experts with evaluation background and/or experience in working with or engaging civil society organizations in development work; and/or supporting the United Nations system organizations to strategically cooperate and engage with the civil society organizations as well as directly setting up, managing and maintaining partnership programs.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Provide inputs and contributions to the evaluation design and methodology
- Conduct data collection through documentary reviews, interviews and potential field visits
- Produce written analytical outputs in line with the evaluation questions and the evaluation report template
- The evaluation team members should expect to work from home and to travel to a selection of countries as part of this assignment.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in international relations, social sciences, economics, agricultural sciences or any other
- discipline relevant to the work of the Organization;
- At least 12 years of experience, of which at least 7 in the formulation of partnership strategies, or development of partnerships between the civil society organizations and the UN system organizations, including, but not limited to:
- Experience in working with the civil society organizations and UN organizations in the analysis, planning and management of policies and programmes promoting sustainable development, including experience with multistakeholder platforms and/or networks in institutional spaces;
- Experience in engaging civil society organizations in policy dialogue on issues related to food and nutrition security;
- Experience working in national governments on the promotion and inclusion of civil society organizations in public policies;
- Experience in promoting and implementing partnership development activities in development programmes at global, regional or national levels;
- Engaging civil society organizations in norms and standards setting;
- Harnessing civil society organizations’ knowledge, technology and research capacities;
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian.
- The candidates should not have been involved in the design or implementation of relevant FAO activities in recent years, and will have to sign a declaration concerning conflicts of interest.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Previous experience in conducting/taking part in evaluations of development programmes;
- Expertise in designing and carrying out evaluations of strategic programmes, institutional effectiveness mechanisms and results-based management systems;
- Knowledge of FAO structure and its organizational/institutional mechanisms, and focus areas.
- Excellent analytical and leadership skills;
- Experience working with international development organizations, such as UN agencies and international financial institutions on agriculture, food security and rural development;
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills;
- Good knowledge of, and network within, the main international institutions and mechanisms relevant to the evaluation;
- Experience in development evaluations
- Proven track record of experience in managing or conducting development evaluations, or contributing to evaluation analysis;
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
FAO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list
Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
Candidates should upload language certificate/s when submitting their application.
For more information, visit the FAO employment website
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline
If you need help please contact: [email protected]
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT