Social Enterprise Lead, East Africa
Years of experience:
26 Dec 2019
Job Title Social Enterprise Lead – East Africa
Department: Social Enterprise
Location: Based in East Africa
Reports to the Vice President, Social Enterprise
Who we are
With over 45 years of experience, working in over 60 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
There are over 7,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
PSI’s Social Enterprise department is responsible for leading PSI’s sustainable product and service delivery initiatives. This is a dynamic department that works at the intersection of social impact and financial sustainability to ensure the long-term availability of quality health products and services in the markets where we work.
We are looking for an Enterprise Lead, based in East Africa. This position will play a critical role in leading the strategy and design for existing and new product and service business models in East Africa. This will include the development of business plans, the identification of strategic partnership opportunities that address market needs with social business approaches, and the development of financing strategies for these and other enterprise activities within PSI.
This position will report to the Vice President for Social Enterprise, based in PSIs Washington, DC office.
We are looking for someone who can lead new and bold initiatives to deliver consumer powered care in key markets. This is not just business as usual. In this role, we are looking for someone who can lead, provide clear and concise operational guidance to market group teams. We need someone who isn’t afraid to step outside of their comfort zone, challenge the status quo and who is willing to be an agent of change for the development sector. This person will need to demonstrate an understanding of the health market in East Africa, an ability to cultivate appropriate strategic partnerships, identify critical talent and actively fundraise/finance for enterprise approaches, including innovative finance investment opportunities. Given the exciting challenge this person will be addressing we are looking for a self-starter, someone who is curious and solution oriented and not afraid to course correct and adapt to change.
You will bring critical thinking and the ability to develop and execute strategies related to the success of product and service social enterprises, including but not limited to fundraising, strategic partnership, monitoring and evaluation, budgeting and business development and cross-country and regional coordination. The below is a sample of what you will bring to PSI’s enterprise work and what you can expect to contribute.
Enterprise Development and Management
- You will lead the execution of business plans for existing social enterprises in East Africa, delivering on business plans and engaging with teams as necessary to track and report on results and activities against annual, quarterly and monthly goals and projections;
- You will bring problem identification and a consumer-oriented approach to social enterprise strategy development and delivery;
- You will lead on developing and successfully maintaining relationships relevant for EA businesses including distributors, manufacturers, insurers, or others as applicable;
- You will be accountable for the overall financial operational performance of all enterprise activities related to EA business, encompassing financial results, performance standards, operational standards and performance culture.
- Identify, assess and prioritize risks associated with enterprise activities in East Africa and deploy resources accordingly to minimize likelihood and/or impact of risks to the businesses
- Strengthen and develop as necessary (internally or externally) the appropriate technical capabilities needed to support businesses from idea stage through to scale. Build out the capabilities to support and scale viable enterprise opportunities focused on market resilience and long-term financial sustainability of development approaches.
Fundraising, Financing, and Partnership
- You will work with the SE Director on the development of new business opportunities and the integration of revenue stream approaches into traditional development financing, including developing a long-term financing plan, ensuring adequate and appropriate financing for EA businesses via traditional donors, non-traditional partners as well as investment vehicles as appropriate;
- You will lead all enterprise related partnerships in the East Africa region and work closely with the Nairobi based Innovation hub on digitally enabled social business approaches. This includes corporate, social enterprise and non-profit partnerships;
- Develop and maintain strong local, national and regional relationships with associated networks and organizations eg. Social Franchise leaders, Impact investing networks, social entrepreneurs, etc;
- Internal Liaison across the organization to advance as appropriate enterprise needs (anglophone Africa, Acceleration Markets, Marketing, Procurement.
You will bring analytical prowess and interpersonal finesse to the job every day. You will know how to read a P&L, but also the emotions of your colleagues;Qualifications
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Collaboration: You can work independently but thrive within a team.
Trust: You trust that your manager and team will have your back and care deeply about gaining that same trust from your teammates
Pragmatism: You dive in and maintain momentum even when things are ambiguous, and you don’t let perfect get in the way of good enough.
Honesty: You aren’t afraid to speak up and speak your mind.
Measurement: You set clear and challenging goals and hold yourself accountable to driving measurable results.
Commitment: You’re independent and a free thinker, but you’re ready to buy in to the direction of the team and commit to its success.
You will have
- Proven ability to navigate complex issues, significant experience in market, enterprise management experience preferred
- Commercial business experience in East Africa preferred
- An MBA or other relevant Master’s level education
- 7 – 10 years of experience in emerging markets and social enterprise
- A proven track record of securing financing for new initiatives
- Tenacious diplomacy – you are unrelenting when trying to get things done, but understand that relationships matter
- Demonstrated experience walking the fine line between the social return and the bottom-line enterprise return.
- You are fluent in English, familiarity with other regional languages preferred.
- Ability and willingness to travel
- References will be required.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.