UNFPA – United Nations Population Fund in Suva
Job Title: Service Contract: Programme Associate, Spotlight Initiative, Suva, Fiji, SB4, Temporary Appointment
Job ID: 27426
Location: Asia and Pacific
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Closing date: 19 December (5 pm Suva time)
Duration: One year (renewable*)
- No expectancy of renewal
Duty Station: Suva, Fiji
The Programme Associate provides the lead responsibility for programme activities, research & networking and is part of the Programme team, which provides integrated programme and technical support within a systems strengthening approach fundamental to UNFPA’s overall strategy.
The Programme Associate works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and project staff in the RO, UNFPA HQ, Recipient UN Organizations (UNDP, IOM, UNESCO, UN Women, UNICEF), Spotlight Secretariat, EU, Steering Committee and Civil Society Reference Group, and partners as required for resolving complex finance-related issues and exchange of information.
You will report directly to the Gender Technical Advisor.
The Programme Associate also works in close collaboration with the Programme and Technical teams working to implement the Spotlight programmes at the regional level as well as in Fiji, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu and Samoa.
Please kindly note that this post advertisement is also a roster. Even if you do not get selected for this particular post, we may contact you directly if there is a suitable opportunity in the future and a more specific JD will then be shared.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
The European Union (EU) and the UN are embarking on a new multi-year programme, called the ‘Spotlight Initiative,’ which is focused on eliminating violence against women and girls (VAWG) and harmful practices (HP). In a focused set of countries, the Spotlight Initiative will deploy targeted, large-scale investments to improve the rights of women and girls, helping them to live lives free of violence.
The Spotlight regional and multi country programme as well as the programmes in Samoa and Vanuatu aims at adding value, maximizing investment, and contributing to the scale, sustainability, visibility, lessons learnt and replication of programming to prevent and address intimate partner violence throughout the Pacific region.
UNFPA is the Lead Agency to coordinate the implementation of the Vanuatu programme and a recipient UN agency (RUNO) within the regional and Samoa programmes. UN Women, UNDP, IOM, UNESCO and UNICEF are also recipient UN organizations (RUNOs) that will jointly implement resources and provide technical assistance for the implementation of these programmes. Intergovernmental organizations, regional networks of CSOs and other regional partners will be engaged as well.
In a global organisation, where many of our people are based in challenging environments, you will play a vital role in ensuring the smooth running of critical services research, financial and administrative/general services across the Pacific offices implementing Spotlight programmes. You will build close relationships with stakeholders, communicating regularly to support best practice in fixed assets management.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
A. Programme Oversight
- Provide administrative support in the preparation of programme work plans, budgets, and proposals on programme implementation arrangements;
- Provide technical guidance to the UNFPA Spotlight staff on routine delivery and reporting of programme supported activities and finances;
- Prepare information for the audit of the joint programmes and support implementation of audit recommendations
- Supporting the monitoring of Spotlight project activities, establishing ways to assess achievement and recommending corrective action as required; conducting field visits; participating in review meetings and monitoring missions, including the Spot Check of Implementing Partners and preparing regular inputs to status and progress reports.
B. Financial Management
- Create projects in Atlas, prepare budget revisions, revise project awards and status; and determine unutilized funds and the operational and financial close of joint programme;
- Provide administrative support in monitoring budget preparation and the finances of joint programmes; including the finalization of FACE forms;
- Review financial reports; prepare non-PO vouchers for development projects;
- Process payment for consultants;
- Maintain internal expenditures control system;
- Create requisitions in Atlas for development projects; register good receipts in Atlas;
- Assist in the preparation and follow up of cost-recovery bills in Atlas.
- Generate financial reporting for the Spotlight Initiative for UNFPA across Regional, Samoa and Vanuatu programmes.
C. General Administrative Management
- Undertake all logistical, administrative and financial arrangements for organization for meetings, workshops, events, and missions;
- Make travel arrangements for the Programme Team, including travel requisitions and claims;
- Maintain control of travel claims ensuring accuracy and compliance in a timely manner;
- Obtain quotations for all the processes of acquisition of goods and services (micro purchasing);
- Prepare public information materials and briefing packets;
- Assemble briefing materials and prepare power-point and other presentations;
- Maintain proper filling system of finance records, project documents – hard and soft copies.
Carry out any other duties as may be required by UNFPA leadership.
Qualifications and Experience
- Completion of secondary level or an equivalent high school education is required;
- First level university degree in Business Administration or a related field is preferable.
- Recognized training and/or certification in basic financial principles is an asset.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum of Seven (7) years of relevant experience in the data support management systems and financial management in the private, public sector and/or in an international organization.
- Prior work experience in providing similar support to programmes and projects within the United Nations and/or an International Organization is desired;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment respecting diversity of work teams
- Sound interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to use analytical tools and logic to gather, define information, situations, problems, and draw logical conclusions to the data;
- Make timely and appropriate decisions, taking into consideration, various and complex issues.
- Computer Skills: Proficient in MS Office Packages, databases and the Internet
Fluency in English is required. Fluency in the local Pacific language is an advantage.
- Exemplifying integrity
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
- Embracing diversity in all its forms
- Embracing change
- Achieving Results
- Being Accountable
- Developing and Applying Professional Expertise/Business Acumen
- Thinking analytically and Strategically
- Working in Teams/Managing Ourselves and our Relationships
- Communicating for Impact
- Logistical Support,
- Managing data, documents, correspondence & reports,
- Planning, organizing and multi-tasking,
- Managing financial processes,
- Strategically positioning UNFPA programmes,
- Providing conceptual innovation to support programme effectiveness,
- Generating, managing and promoting the use of knowledge and information;
- Facilitating quality programmatic results
- Providing strategic focus,
- Engaging in internal/external partners and stakeholders,
- Leading, developing and empowering people, creating a culture of performance
- Making decisions and exercising judgment
UNFPA Work Environment
UNFPA provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, Embracing diversity in all its forms, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. We are committed to maintaining our balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply. UNFPA promotes equal opportunities for all including persons with disabilities.
WARNING TO APPLICANTS: UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you have received a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web. Should you feel that you have received a fraudulent notice, letter or offer that makes use of the name or logo of UNFPA, you may submit a report through the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm
HOW TO APPLY:
UNFPA has established an electronic application management system. This allows applicants to create a candidate profile, which can be updated regularly and submitted for more than one vacancy.
Download the Step by Step Guide to Applying in the E-Recruit System of UNFPA at http://www.unfpa.org/employment.
Please print out the Guide for your reference during the registration and application process.
Notice: There is no application, processing or other fee at any stage of the application process. UNFPA does not solicit or screen for information in respect of HIV or AIDS and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
For any questions or comments please contact [email protected]