Senior M&E Specialist,
Afghanistan Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Activity (AMELA)
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, D.C. metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with organizations across all sectors of international development to support clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the United Nations Development Program to national and local governments, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.
The purpose of AMELA is to provide monitoring, evaluation, and learning support services/assistance to strengthen the implementation of USAID development programs in Afghanistan, and to build the technical M&E knowledge and skills of USAID/Afghanistan Mission staff and stakeholders. The services provided under AMELA will contribute to supporting USAID/Afghanistan as an effective development organization with strong learning and adaptive management processes.
**Please note: Only Afghan citizens are eligible for this position
The Senior M&E Specialist will play a critical role in managing evaluations, assessments and other tasks assigned to the AMELA Evaluation Team. Assisting the Senior Evaluation Team Lead, and the Deputy Evaluation Team Lead, specialists will be expected to work closely with a variety of stakeholders to ensure that the quality of deliverables submitted under component one adheres to the SOWs, and to the standards set forth in ADS 201. As project manager for a task, the Senior M&E Specialist will be responsible for “taking ownership” for the efficient and successful accomplishment of task. This position is based in Kabul with potential travel to other Afghan cities.
- Assist M&E Senior Management Team in supervising evaluation and/or M&V project management.
- Assist Senior M&E Management Team in training of AMELA M&E Specialists, including cross-training on M&V and evaluation techniques/protocols.
- Provide inputs to AMELA M&E Specialists on best practices for evaluation project management.
- Assist in development of data management processes with AMELA data management team.
- Manage evaluation and task teams along each phase of the task cycle, including: conceptualization and client engagement, recruitment, task design, data collection, data analysis, and report drafting.
- Take notes for all meetings involving key external stakeholders.
- Draft SOWs and other documentation during the recruitment process and ensure the completion.
- Onboard STTA staff into the Kabul office and help them to understand the practical implications of their SOW.
- Assist the Evaluation Leads and any STTA hires to draft, test, and finalize study tools and instruments.
- Manage teams during data collection, including: coordinating travel, transport, and accommodation, ensure that sampling and field work plans concur, accompany the team in the field and participate in data collection, check quality of transcripts, field notes, data, and troubleshooting as needed.
- Lead team planning meetings and analysis workshops.
- Analyze plans and the methodologies designated in the evaluation plans as followed, running thematic coding teams, and assisting the Team Leader in drafting presentations for USAID.
- Contribute to report drafting as needed.
- Maintain version control of internal and deliverable documents.
- Provide periodic assistance coordinating, monitoring and validating exercises.
- Provide technical leadership in coordination with the Evaluation Leads
- At least a Master’s degree with five (5) years working experience in a relevant field OR a Bachelor’s degree with seven (7) years relevant experience.
- Experience in managing the evaluation needs and activities associated with development projects in complex environments, ideally including Afghanistan.
- Willingness and ability to visit project sites in the insecure operating environments throughout Afghanistan.
- Knowledge of USAID performance monitoring and evaluation guidelines and rules (ADS 203).
- Excellent English writing skills and speaking ability, and ideally working knowledge of local languages.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.
To apply: Please visit our website, www.msiworldwide.com