IFES Baghdad, Iraq
Local National Employee
IFES is seeking a full-time interpretation and translation for programmatic activities and consecutive interpretation during meetings with Government of Iraq officials and other program stakeholders in Iraq.
Since 2003, IFES has provided technical electoral assistance to Iraqi authorities and civil society stakeholders. IFES has provided advice to these stakeholders on incorporating electoral processes into Iraq’s post-conflict transition and establishing a legal and institutional framework for elections, including the creation of an independent election body.
The overall objective of IFES’s current electoral assistance program is to support the Independent High Elections Commission (IHEC) in planning and conducting credible elections and ensuring integrity of the electoral process. IFES Iraq Provincial Election Activity (IPEA) project provides technical and operational assistance to the IHEC as it prepares for the conduct of upcoming provincial elections scheduled for April 2020.
- Provide consecutive Arabic/English interpretation at private and public events and meetings on governance, civic participation, and elections;
- Ensure that translation fully and accurately captures statement and intent of speakers in both languages, including for highly-technical topics related to governance, civic participation, elections, and other areas of IFES’ work;
- Provide translation in politically-sensitive and confidential environments that may include senior or high-level government officials, and ensure absolute confidentiality;
- Translation of documents, English to Arabic and Arabic to English, as needed throughout the period of the contract. Translation of documents may include workshop agendas, workshop deliverables, reports, charts, and power point slides;
- Travel, when requested, to Irbil or other areas of Iraq for programmatic activity needs.
- Minimum 6 years’ experience providing translation and interpretation services
- Bachelor of Arts Degree Required
- Excellent communication skills;
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in working with government ministries and stakeholders in Iraq
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Fluency in written and spoken Arabic and English required.