- Brief Overview of VSF Germany
VSF Germany is an International Non-Governmental Organization, providing humanitarian assistance and development aid to agro-pastoral and pastoralists and vulnerable communities in areas where livestock is of importance. In the Horn of Africa region, VSF Germany implements programmes in South Sudan, Sudan, Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia and Uganda. VSF Germany programmes focus on Food Livelihoods, and Nutrition Security, Natural Resources Management, Peacebuilding, Water and Sanitation, Protection and Response to Disasters and Emergencies; and One Health. Each country program is managed through the country offices and country teams with coordination and facilitation from the Regional Office Nairobi (RON). The organization is a registered charity in Germany with its headquarters in Berlin.
- Purpose of the Position
VSF Germany seeks to recruit a dynamic, self-driven and results oriented individual to join the team at the office in Nairobi, Kenya. The successful candidate will be part of the team responsible for the management and implementation of VSF G’s Human Resources (HR) Policies, Procedures, and Guidelines management. S/he will work with the Country Directors and the HR and Administration team in Nairobi to ensure that organizational HR policies and procedures are adapted to the specific context of each category of staff and are that all staff are informed.
The SHRO will conduct training on site for HR staff and others and facilitate development and implementation of appropriate HR management responses including plans and Standard Operating Procedures that fits VSF Germanys policy and standards in the different contexts. S/he will provide expert HR advice to all levels of VSF Germany staff working in the region.
- Key Tasks and Responsibilities
The Senior Human Resource Officer shall be required to perform a wide range of generic tasks as for delegated countries in the region. A detailed specific Job Description will be elaborated, but generic tasks and responsibilities shall include:
- HR Planning:
- Review and contribute to the HR strategy for the Country Programs which are in line with the organizational goals and objectives.
- Develop and implement a staff planning, helping the new/existing departments to have the needed staff with the right competence on time, both national and international.
- Devise and implement metrics as and when needed
- Hiring and Recruitment:
- Full-cycle recruitment process using traditional sourcing strategies, network and employ innovative, creative recruiting methods to hire the best talent
- Ensure adherence to VSF Germany policies and procedures in recruitment.
- Recruitments and orientations/transition of both new/ transferring staff.
- Vacancy posting in internal and external media as appropriate.
- Interviews and provide interview outcome summary.
- Review of job offers and contracts and ensure internal equity
- HR Administration and Compliance:
- Implementation for VSF Germany’s global HR Operating Policies and Procedures
- HR-related administrative duties and ensure they are compliant with existing legal and government reporting requirements
- Compliance with all labor laws, and minimization of legal exposure.
- Contribute to ensuring Staff Handbooks are developed and in place; Review of policies and procedures, making recommendations
- File and update of all staff personnel and statutory documents and ensure that all staff information are properly kept, updated and confidentially maintained
- Monitor and coordinate staff contract management.
- Exit management procedure to ensure seamless and positive transition for departing employee
- Serve as a champion for VSF Germanys Code of Conduct; escalate arising code of conduct issues to the Regional Office for additional support and to ensure issue is resolved and appropriate follow-up is carried out
- On an as needed basis liaise with local legal counsel on HR issues that requires legal interpretations
- Compensation and Benefits Management:
- Facilitate administration of staff benefits and compensation as stipulated in the HR policies
- Processing of the monthly HR payroll documentation on timely basis ensuring completeness and accurate documentation
- Facilitate staff clearance and ensure that all exiting staff clearance forms are submitted before final dues are processed.
- Ensure all staff are properly oriented and trained on the completion and submission of monthly Timesheets.
- Performance Management
- Support the performance management process including creating a plan to manage annual reviews, conduct training on goal-setting, utilize budgets to organize development activities and work one-on-one with managers and employees
- Coordinate and ensure timely completion of the annual performance evaluation process.
- Employee Relations and Discipline:
- Support employee relations with professionalism; support investigations to resolve issues/conflict in the workplace
- Act as an impartial mediator in disciplinary procedures and ensure it is administered in an equitable and fair manner and meets all legal and labor regulations and requirements
- Maintain an effective negotiation process and harmonious employee/employer relationship
- Advise supervisors in determining appropriate disciplinary plans of action
- Staff Welfare:
- Develop supportive plans of action for staff care, ensuring a comprehensive approach to support the well-being of staff and foster a positive working environment. Recommendations in this plan should address actionable activities and advice to support the morale and the social, physical, and psychological well-being of staff.
- Work to actively engage in building trust with staff at all levels and in all roles.
- Develop, gather and distribute personal well-being educational reading and materials to all staff on a regular basis.
- Essential Requirements
- Human Resources Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent required
- Postgraduate Diploma in Human Resource Management.
- Should have a minimum of 3 years of experience in human resources Management.
- Certification in Human Resource Management
- Demonstrated ability to identify, recommend and implement best practice approaches that deliver rapid, consistent, high-quality HR management and service provision in a fast paced organization
- Proven abilities to effectively work with local legal counsel and government departments to rapidly identify host country legal requirements, for expatriate and national staff, negotiate approvals and constructively resolve HR legal issues.
- Good written and verbal communication skills. Capable of managing conflict and conflicting views.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Legal right to work in Kenya is a requirement
- Selection Criteria
Selection will be based on requirements, competencies and skills outlined above. Shortlisting of candidates will be done on a rolling basis. VSF Germany is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Job City Nairobi