Senior Global Advocacy and Media Adviser
Years of experience:
26 Dec 2019
Are you skilled and ready to play a pivotal role in promoting and defending the rights and dignity of displaced-affected communities across the world?
Advocacy represents one of NRC’s three core functions and is an important component of work undertaken across each of our operations. You will be front and centre in helping to strengthen NRC’s country-driven advocacy while reinforcing our position globally as the leading go to organisation on displacement.
Working closely with Field Operations and representative offices, you will provide strategic guidance, counsel and leadership to country offices so they can identify, document, analyse and address factors that prevent displaced people from accessing their rights. You will always be on the lookout for innovative opportunities that allows NRC to engage and communicate more effectively with our targets.
You will be just as comfortable discussing complex issues at high level private meetings to speaking out publicly on behalf of those who don’t have a voice.
You are a sharp, confident and influential change agent who refuses to accept the status quo and believes in the power of possibility!
Duties and responsibilities
- Lead the development of NRC’s global advocacy strategy and an action plan. Work collaboratively with senior colleagues to facilitate and ensure the implementation of the strategy and action plan at global, regional, country and representative office level.
- Be accountable and responsible for building NRC’s capacity to do private and public advocacy, including through the development of global procedures, supporting the design and delivery of regional and global trainings and seminars and creating strong interdepartmental links that support NRC’s global ambitions.
- Develop and disseminate tools to enable informed risk assessments for advocacy in cooperation with relevant stakeholders within field operations and security and provide strategic guidance to country offices to employ them.
- Act as global spokesperson for NRC in TV and radio interviews. Manage media interviews for other senior NRC staff as required.
- Ensure public advocacy products include clear, concrete advocacy messages in line with NRC’s global positions.
- Support NRC’s contingency crisis communications plan to protect NRCs brand.
- Initiate, produce and support the production of strong advocacy messages on behalf of the Secretary General in collaboration with the Senior Media and Communication Adviser to the SG.
- Function as NRC’s organisation-wide expert on private and public advocacy strategy, providing guidance through using existing or developing new material and tools.
- In depth knowledge, expertise and experience of advocacy, campaigning, or similar and ideally within the humanitarian sector
- Relevant university degree, and may have post graduate specialist qualifications, within a relevant field
- Substantial experience within the humanitarian field
- Strong knowledge and understanding of humanitarian sector, including policy and practice
- Proven communication and interpersonal skills, with experience of senior level networking, representation and negotiation
- Experience in representing an NGO, donor or UN agency – high level of strategic and evaluative skills
- Proven ability to analyse complex political and humanitarian contexts
- Experience in developing complex and sensitive advocacy strategy and ensuring effective implementation
- Excellent writing, editing and language skills and experience in editing wide-reaching public humanitarian documents.
- Demonstrated communication and media performance on high strategic levels, and ability to act as the advocacy representative of NRC in highly visible forums.
- Ability to identify and deliver advocacy recommendations on global level.
You possess high level interpersonal and relationship building skills, including networking, collaborative working, and with a ability to engage others!
You have a natural authority that reinforces your ability to provide strategic advice to senior colleagues. Furthermore you are flexible and have and ability to adjust to changes and new requirements. It is of utmost importance that you have both possibility and willingness to travel as the position requires this.
We can offer
Challenging, meaningful and varied work!
A strongly committed, international team in a well-known, knowledge organisation. This is a permanent position at our Head Office in modern locations in central Oslo where national contract conditions will apply. Salary by agreement, good pension and insurance schemes.
Only CVs and applications submitted in Webcruiter will be considered. NRC reserves the right to conduct a full background check on candidates.
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s values;To be dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable are attitudes and beliefs that shall guide our actions and relationships.