AIIB HQ Beijing
Senior Environmental and Social Specialist – Private Sector
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank with a mission to improve social and economic outcomes in Asia. Headquartered in Beijing, we began operations in January 2016 and have now grown to 100 approved members worldwide. By investing in sustainable infrastructure and other productive sectors in Asia and beyond, we will better connect people, services and markets that over time will impact the lives of billions and build a better future.
The Senior Environmental and Social (ES) Specialist—Private Sector will support the implementation of high environmental, social standards and other requirements in AIIB’s investment in private sector transactions including ESG portfolio and capital market initiatives.
This position involves activities to (1) support AIIB’s development and implementation of relevant policies and rules consistent with leading environmental, social and governance (ESG) approaches in the private sector and lead engagement with relevant stakeholders and (2) support and monitor the implementation of high ESG standards in private sector transactions where AIIB’s investments are involved, including lending operations, capital markets operations, equity participation and through financial intermediaries (FIs), etc.
Policy and Strategy
- Advise on the compatibility of ESG approaches recognized in the private sector with AIIB’s Environmental and Social Policy (ESP) and other policies covering ESG aspects.
- Lead engagement with ESG ratings agencies and coordinate AIIB’s input into the annual ESG rating process.
- Discuss ESG topics, sustainability initiatives and portfolio issues with AIIB stakeholders, including the Bank’s Senior Management and Board members, AIIB clients and prospective clients, civil society and nongovernment organizations, investment funds and ratings agencies, etc.
- Lead the review and appraisal of proposed investments in the private sector, focusing on capital markets, private equity, direct lending and on-lending through FIs, to ensure compliance with AIIB’s operational policies including the Environmental and Social Policy and guidelines.
- Actively engage with AIIB’s asset managers on implementation of AIIB’s ESG Framework and Sustainable Capital Markets Initiative.
- Monitor the ESG performance of fixed-income portfolios, including using a variety of ESG databases (e.g., RepRisk, MSCI, Bloomberg, etc.).
- Assess existing practices of relevant clients to manage ESG risks and recommend actions to strengthen their management systems and/or organizational capacity to address ESG risks in a manner consistent with AIIB’s ESG Framework.
- Undertake monitoring and supervision of an FI’s financing activities through meetings, site visits as needed and/or conference calls with the FI client, desk review of the FI’s environmental and social performance reports, etc.
- Minimum 8-10 years of experience in environmental and social risk management practice related to private sector operations, particularly infrastructure transactions. Exposure to a variety of types of operations such as capital markets, private equity, direct lending and FIs as well as impact investing experience would be highly desirable.
- Sound professional expertise in environmental or social disciplines and corresponding applications in private sector infrastructure transactions.
- Previous experience in industry environmental and social instruments such as environmental assessments and frameworks, social assessments and frameworks and involuntary resettlement plans and frameworks.
- Previous familiarity with ESG ratings and ESG impact data sets would be highly relevant.
- Knowledge of impact investment trends and private sector strategies related to the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Master’s degree or equivalent from a reputable university.
Previous experience and qualifications will determine the grade level and job title at which successful applicants will enter AIIB.