New Delhi, India
ADB New Delhi
Reference Number: 190561
Position Level: NS 3
Department: South Asia Department
Division: India Resident Mission
Location: India Resident Mission
Date Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2019
Closing Date: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 11:59 p.m. (2359 Manila Time, 0800 GMT)
This is a re-advertisement. Previous applicants need not apply. Applications received in response to previous posting will be considered together with applications received in response to this advertisement.
Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB. 1 Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle.
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O.
- 03, paragraphs
- 8 and
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
This vacancy is a local staff position. It is open only to nationals and residents of India.
This is a special fixed-term appointment for a period of three (3) years following Section
- 1 (c.) of Administrative Order No.
- 01 (‘Recruitment and Appointment’). This appointment is not convertible to a regular appointment. It may be extended on exceptional basis for a further fixed period at the option of ADB. This appointment is open to internal and external applicants.
If the successful candidate is an ADB staff member holding a regular appointment, his/her regular appointment will be converted to a special fixed-term appointment. A special fixed-term appointment will automatically and without prior notice expire at the end of the term.
OverviewAsian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in India Residence Mission (INRM) within the South Asia Department (SARD). INRM assists in the project implementation of the loans and technical assistance (TA) projects and supports the ADB HQ in processing new loans in India. INRM works closely with government agencies, development partners, private sector partners, and other stakeholders to facilitate the successful formulation, processing, administration and monitoring of ADB-financed loan and technical assistance (TA) projects.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Economics Officer will undertake analytical work on economic and financial sector issues in India and will be responsible for monitoring and reporting on economic and related political developments and maintaining databases on economic and financial statistics. The incumbent will through diligent economic research, support upstream policy work undertaken by the economic and the project development unit. The incumbent will also support relevant policy loan processing initiatives undertaken by HQ staff and use considerable independent judgment to make decisions in carrying out assignments that have significant impact on services or programs of ADB or the Resident Mission (RM). The incumbent will report to Country Director/Deputy Country Director and/or designated International Staff.
- Takes responsibility for the preparation of the Asian Development Outlook country chapter for India and its updates.
- Reviews, analyzes, and prepares briefs and presentations on economic developments including macroeconomic performance and key economic policy issues, and maintains databases on economic and financial statistics.
- Supports the Resident Mission’s knowledge management functions, especially as they relate to economic and finance sector issues.
- Supports ADB’s country strategy and programming process for India by assessing the implications of economic developments, including policy initiatives of the government, for ADB operations.
- Actively engages in supporting upstream policy research of the economics and project development unit
- Assists in preparation of the Country Partnership Strategy and Country Operations Business Plan documents in line with Strategy 2030.
- Supports the implementation of ADB-financed loan and technical assistance projects, especially those relating to public sector management, economic policy advisory assistance, and regulatory issues concerning private sector and financial sector development.
- Maintains contacts with government agencies, academic/research institutions, and international agencies and other entities on economic and finance sector issues.
- Undertakes/performs other duties that may be assigned as reflected in the incumbent’s workplan.
Relevant Experience & Requirements:
- Master’s degree in Economics; Ph.D. will be an advantage
- Relevant experience in applied economic theory/quantitative methods and policy work of at least 10 years.
- A track record of publications on economic issues would be a significant advantage.
- Specialization in macroeconomics and public finance preferred; knowledge of financial sector issues would be an advantage.
- Strong analytical skills, including application of econometric and other quantitative methods for economic policy analysis and formulation.
- Demonstrated ability in writing in English effectively is essential.
- Excellent computer skills including database management and high level of proficiency in econometric and statistical packages (e.g., Stata).
- Able to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and the national language
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a multicultural team.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff Level 3 –
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial fixed term of 3 years with a probation period of one year.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.