Research Economist (Economics Specialist/Sr Specialist), Washington
This is an internal opportunity. Only IDB staff and DTCs are eligible to apply for internal opportunities.
Research Economist (Economics Specialist/Sr Specialist) – 1900000908
Research Economist (Economics Specialist/Sr Specialist)
You are an economics researcher who is familiar with the development challenges faced by Latin America and the Caribbean and wants to make a difference in the development of the region. Your peers recognize you as someone who possesses: (1) strong technical skills; (2) a record of-or good prospects forÂ—high-quality, original research in peer-reviewed journals; and (3) the ability to communicate with a wide range of potential audiences.
Our culture: Working with us you will be surrounded by a diverse group of people who have years of experience in all types of development fields, including macroeconomics, education, labor, institutions, integration, trade and much more.
Background: The Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) is looking to identify and interview Ph. D.-level economists to work in its Research Department (RES) or other areas of the organization. This call is open to all areas, but we particularly seek a combination of rigorous academic approach and the potential to publish as well as a strong interest on policy issues. We are considering Ph.D. candidates, as well as those who have recently graduated.
What you’ll do:
- Conduct economic research, identifying challenges and issues, applying theoretical and/or empirical economic analysis and developing policy recommendations.
- Contribute to the development of new or revised tools and methodologies of economic analysis.
- Present research to academic and non-academic audiences and refine research papers in the light of comments for eventual publication in refereed journals.
- Coordinate and/or review and evaluate the academic work of outside researchers (consultants and research institutions hired through the Latin American Research Network or otherwise), ensuring that they meet the highest standards of quality. Coordinate and/or review and evaluate the academic work of outside researchers (consultants and research institutions hired through the Latin American Research Network or otherwise), ensuring that they meet the highest standards of quality.
- Develop networks for disseminating research findings, promoting cooperative research initiatives, and discussing policy issues within and outside the Bank.
- Participate in the conceptualization, production and dissemination of publications such as the annual Latin American and Caribbean Macroeconomic Report and the flagship publication known as Development in the Americas, by leveraging internal and external resources and addressing new research issues to encourage policy discussions and enhance the visibility and impact of our work.
Skills you’ll need:
Education: Ph.D. in Economics required (completed at the time of appointment). Experience: Minimum of 4 years (for grade 5) and 5 years (for grade 4) of experience. We are considering future Ph.D. graduates as well as those who have recently graduated. Preference will be given to individuals who combine a strong academic profile with an interest in policy and who have worked on topics relevant to development in Latin America and the Caribbean. Languages: A good working knowledge of at least two official Bank languages (English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish). About us: At the Inter-American Development Bank, we’re devoted to improving lives. Since 1959, we’ve been a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social, and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. We do more than lending though. We partner with our 48 member countries to provide Latin America and the Caribbean with cutting-edge research about relevant development issues, policy advice to inform their decisions, and technical assistance to improve on the planning and execution of projects. For this, we need people who not only have the right skills, but also are passionate about improving lives.
Opportunity Summary: Type of contract: Full-time Staff Location: Washington, D.C. Requirements: Candidates must be citizens of one of the IDB’s 48 member countries and have no family members currently working at the bank.
Members of the selection panel will conduct interviews during the 2020 Allied Social Sciences Association (ASSA) Annual Meeting. A cover letter, CV, and job market paper must be submitted along with the application. Additionally, information regarding whether you plan to attend the ASSA Annual Meeting or not along with three (3) academic reference letters must be e-mailed to [email protected] The deadline for applying is November 25, 2019.
The IDB offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package The IDB is committed to diversity and inclusion and to providing equal opportunities in employment. We embrace diversity on the basis of gender, age, education, national origin, ethnic origin, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, and HIV/AIDs status. We encourage women, Afro-descendants and persons of indigenous origins to apply.
Job: Senior Specialist
Primary Location: HQ-US-Washington DC
Job Posting: Nov 1, 2019, 4:00:00 AM
Closing Date: Nov 26, 2019, 4:59:00 AM