Protection and Rule of Law Coordinator – Head of Program
International Rescue Committee
31 Dec 2019
Job Overview: The Protection and Rule of Law Coordinator leads the IRC’s efforts in Lebanon to meet conflict-affected people’s safety and protection needs, reducing protection risks and responding to cases of violence, coercion and deprivation, as well as mainstreaming protection throughout the IRC’s response in Lebanon. The Protection and Rule of Law Coordinator will define and manage a clear direction for the PRoL program in Lebanon in the coming years, drive forward implementation and ensure robust and effective management and oversight to best meet the needs and aspirations of local communities and accountability to stakeholders.
Currently the PRoL program is implemented in the North, Beirut and Mount Lebanon, Bekaa and the South of Lebanon and composed of protection monitoring, information dissemination, referrals, case management, community based protection and legal services. A core responsibility of the Protection Coordinator will be to ensure the quality of protection monitoring intervention in particular ongoing oversee of data collection and analysis and ensure that succinct and accurate protection reports that enable policy and program informed decision making are prepared for dissemination to relevant stakeholders, and utilized to inform programming and advocacy both internally and externally.
· Provide a sound technical basis for the consolidation and harmonization of all protection and rule of law activities across field sites and tools/methodologies, with an emphasis on maintaining and improving program quality.
· Ensure that all interventions are in compliance with the IRC’s strategic action plan, theories of change, protection mainstreaming framework, international law and protection standards and national policies.
· Oversee implementation of the protection and rule of law program through managing project work plans and budgets (budget forecasting, development of spending plans and budget follow-up), ensuring timely recruitment, quality implementation and accurate reporting in accordance with IRC and donor regulations.
· Lead the testing of the updated protection monitoring and case management tools and make necessary adjustment for increased impact.
· Ensure in collaboration with the M&E team that monitoring and evaluation systems are effectively designed and integrated into all stages of the project; that output and impact data are captured and that data is used to optimize program quality.
· Provide continuous support to and ensure targeted capacity building of staff.
· Participate in cross-departmental collaboration and coordination in order to ensure that linkages between programs are made and programs gain from protection best practice; in particular with regular contact and coordination with Coordinators and Managers from other IRC Lebanon sectors
Strategy and New business development
· Lead on defining comprehensive and adaptive IRC Protection Rule of Law sector strategy for Lebanon
· Identify opportunities for, design and develop concept notes and proposals for further protection programming Develop and/or input into protection assessments and protection reporting analysis for the purpose of program development
· Provide protection input on proposals from other sectors to ensure protection is mainstreamed and integrated across IRC programming
Representation and coordination
· Coordinate with IRC Technical coordinators and Advocacy Advisor to forge connections with key government counterparts at the ministerial level, UN, I/NGOs, human rights actors, municipal and other sub-national government actors.
· Represent the IRC in field and national level and strategic meetings involving protection actors such as the Core Protection Working Group, the Protection Working Group, LHIF, the Technical Durable Solutions Working Group, the inter-agency coordination meetings, and bi-lateral meetings.
· Regularly coordinate with internal program and operational stakeholders, the Protection/Rule of Law Technical Advisors, Women’s Protection and Empowerment, Child Protection, Economic Recovery and Development, Education, the Regional Durable Solutions Advisor and other IRC colleagues.
· In collaboration with the Advocacy Advisor, provide input for advocacy purposes and support achievement of advocacy goals, as need.
· Represent the IRC at meetings with donors and diplomats, provide protection context updates on an ad hoc basis and as requested.
The position line manages 6 direct reports
- 5-7 years’ experience implementing multi-donor funded protection programming and managing teams, including experience in emergency or post-conflict project management
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
Demonstrated experience using international human rights standards in protection programming
Demonstrated experience designing and implementing M&E systems
Strong strategic thinking and proposal writing skills
Strong leadership, program, staff and budget management and capacity building skills
Excellent communication skills, cultural sensitivity, flexibility, ability to improvise, team player.
Ability to productively work under pressure while maintaining a sense of humor
Strong organizational and time-management skills; proven ability to prioritize and deliver on time
Ability to work both independently and in a dynamic, cross-functional global team structure
Demonstrated ability to work effectively with stakeholders at all levels
Ability to manage and work through change in a proactive and positive manner.
Education: Advanced university degree in Law, Human Rights or a related field
Language Skills: English – Arabic is an asset
- Standard office working environment
- Regular travel to field locations in Lebanon