Project Support (International Programmes)
Years of experience:
Save the Children
11 Dec 2019
TERMS OF REFERENCE
POSITION Project Support
AREA/DEPARTMENT International Programmes / Portfolio Department
PLACE OF WORK Save the Children Italia Onlus (Roma)
REFERS TO Sub-Saharan Africa Head of Unit
PEOPLE MANAGEMENT No
BUDGET MANAGEMENT No
TYPE OF CONTRACT Co.co.co. 6-12 months
SALARY Range 26.000 € – 28.000 €
CSP LEVEL 1
INTRODUCTION TO SAVE THE CHILDREN
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organization for children.
OUR VISION is a world in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development and participation.
OUR MISSION is to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives
Save the Children Italia (SC IT) was created as an ONLUS in 1998 and is now a prominent member of Save the Children International.
SAVE THE CHILDREN’S VALUES
ACCOUNTABILITY: We take personal responsibility for using our resources efficiently, achieving measurable results, and being accountable to supporters, partners and, most of all, children.
AMBITION: We are demanding of ourselves and our colleagues, set high goals and are committed to improving the quality of everything we do for children.
COLLABORATION: We respect and value each other, thrive on our diversity, and work with partners to leverage our global strength in making a difference for children.
CREATIVITY: We are open to new ideas, embrace change, and take disciplined risks to develop sustainable solutions for and with children.
INTEGRITY: We aspire to live to the highest standards of personal honesty and behavior; we never compromise our reputation and always act in the best interests of childre n.
To finance our work, we depend on the support of the general public, volunteers, the corporate sector, governments and international donor agencies.
CHILD SAFEGUARDING POLICY
At Save the Children Italy we are committed to the safeguarding and protection of children in our work. Save the Children believes that a child or young person should never experience abuse of any kind. We have a responsibility to work in a way that promotes the welfare of children and protects them from harm. Our Organization has a zero tolerance approach to any harm to or exploitation of a child by any of our staff, representatives or partners. Save the Children expects the highest standards of behavior from all its staff when dealing with children. Those who are representing Save the Children must adhere to the Child Safeguarding Policy, both in their private and professional lives
Save the Children Italy will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work with children are recruited to work for us.
The Project Support contributes, under the supervision of the Regional Head of Unit, to the management and oversight of some specific projects in close collaboration with the Regional Programmes Officer.
In particular, the PS has a key role in:
Ø The monitoring and management of the specific project Portfolio;
Ø Financial management and monitoring for the specific project Portfolio.
Ø Support some specific project development in line with SC Ita strategy in the region.
Key areas of support
· Under the supervision of the Head of Unit, and in coordination with the Senior Regional Programmes Officer, oversight of the award management and compliance, budget monitoring and SC Ita internal focal point for the following projects:
in Ethiopia: 3 Institutional funded projects (EU RESET+, AICS Emergency and IOM), as well as further high risk or strategic projects which may be granted during the period;
in Somalia, Uganda and Rwanda support for proposal development for flexible funds projects.
· Revision and appraisal of new project proposal in Somalia and or Uganda, and any support to the Regional Officer working on the Horn of Africa SC Ita portfolio, in coordination technical and proposal development staff as appropriate
· Under the supervision of the HoRU, provides inputs and support the business development and engagement with institutional and private donors where needed on Ethiopia, Somalia and Uganda;
Specific Project management
· Develops knowledge of in Country context and current issues in relation to the projects implementation
· Monitoring oversight of above mentioned SC Italy funded projects, monitoring progress of projects, providing input/advice to implementation teams in Country offices and raising red flags to the Head of Regional Unit;
· Provides programmatic feedbacks to project reports and coordinates revision from the technical staff where appropriate;
· Liaise with the Grant Unit to ensure all relevant documentation is donor-ready (Narrative Report, Amendment Request; Work plan etc);
· Ensures general compliance with Internal and Donors requirements through support to CO implementation for the assigned projects, in coordination with the Grant Management unit where relevant;
· Liaises with technical team to facilitate delivery of technical support and identification of good practices and opportunities of learning
· Inputs into risk assessment process for the given project;
· Ensures adherence to all Sc Ita administrative process (creating, monitoring and close out of awards), leading on the administrative steps for all awards (through the AMS system, server etc)Contributes to the effective coordination with other departments (Coms, Marketing, Domestic Program) on the projects;
· If needed carry out field visit in the assigned projects.
Financial management and monitoring:**
· Leads on all abovementioned project’s budget monitoring, including monitoring of budget variances, amendments, etc
· Support Grant Management Officer in institutional (DEVCO, AICS and IOM) projects’ budget monitoring, including monitoring of budget variances and assessing amendments
· Carries out consistencies check between budgets and projects planning/narrative documentation (main focus on private funds) and substantial analysis of the financial report (over/underspent) (main focus on on private funds);
· Supports the Head of Unit and the SRPO in the identification of good practices and innovative approaches within the portfolio.
Reports for the given projects are revised and archived for the given projects;
Reports to institutional donors are submitted on time;
Assigned projects’ delivery support is coordinated at Sc Italy level between IP departments/with Finance;
Somalia, Uganda and Rwanda 2020 proposals are finalised;
Above 80% of awards activated (through a FS or PAL) within 14 days of start date;
Above 80% of Member Award Close out actions for the closing projects completed on time.
EXPERIENCES & QUALIFICATIONS
· Fluent in Italian and English;
· At least 3 years of working experience in development cooperation/humanitarian aid, in a Project/Programme management related position;
· At least 2 years working experience overseas in a management position in development cooperation/humanitarian aid;
· Comprehensive experience in proposal development and report writing;
· Working experience in HQ in a similar role is an advantage;
· Experience in working with institutional donors and knowledge of EU (DEVCO and ECHO), AICS or other Institutional Donor compliance;
· Strong experience in project cycle management and budget management;
· Knowledge and experience of the East Africa context is advisable.
· Able to work effectively with others towards the achievement of common objectives
· Capacity to work effectively with international staff on development and humanitarian issues
· Negotiation skills
· Capacity to relate to a different range of internal and external stakeholders
· Flexible and adaptable to changing context
· Pragmatic/solutions oriented/problem solver yet having strong analytical skills
· Commitment to Save the Children values