UNDP – United Nations Development Programme in Algiers
The Incumbent of this position will be located in the United Nations office of Drugs and Crime (UNODC) Regional Office for the Middle East and North Africa (ROMENA), in Algeria.
Within the Regional Programme for the Arab States to Prevent and Combat Crime, Terrorism and Health Threats and Strengthen Criminal Justice Systems in line with International Human Rights Standards (2016-2021), Sub-Programme 1 on ‘Organized Crime’, and Sub-Programme III on ‘Combating Corruption and Financial Crimes’, UNODC is implementing the project ‘Strengthening the framework of the Arab Region to prevent and combat human trafficking and migrant smuggling‘, and the project ‘Action Against Corruption in the MENA region’, managed by the UNODC Regional Office for the Middle East and North Africa (ROMENA), based in Cairo.
The incumbent of this position will report to the Programme Officer (Anti- Human Trafficking and Migrant Smuggling), located in Algiers, Algeria, as the first reporting officer, and the Regional Project Coordinator (Anti-Corruption and Anti-Money Laundering), located in Cairo, Egypt, as the second reporting officer, in coordination with the Operations Manager, located in Cairo, Egypt.
The work of the incumbent entails dealing with external contacts from different UN agencies and counterparts inside and outside the duty station.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Project Coordinator (Anti-Corruption and Anti-Money Laundering), and the Programme Officer (Anti- Human Trafficking and Migrant Smuggling), the Project Assistant will support the implementation of the Algeria component of the UNODC project ‘Strengthening the framework of the Arab Region to prevent and combat human trafficking and migrant smuggling‘. This will include:
- Support the administrative and financial planning and logistical implementation of the project strategies and activities as outlined in the project documents;
- Support the development of detailed work plans and accompanying budgets and budget revisions for all project activities for the timely and realistic achievement of the project objectives, and monitor expenditure per funding agreement;
- Support timely project review, revisions, monitoring and completion of related reporting obligations;
- Organize and oversee all procurement of services as per project activities and in line with UN procurement regulations and financial rules;
- Monitor the issuance of payments for services procured and costs incurred for the purposes of the project;
- Prepare Terms of Reference for sub-contractors to ensure qualitative and objective procurement of services and support quality assurance of deliverables;
- Prepare and contribute to field missions and capacity-building activities, including the preparation of workshops and trainings in the MENA region under the project, and carry out logistical and administrative arrangements, including the preparation of travel requests and expense reports for meetings’ participants;
- Translate short written outputs and communication from French, English to Arabic and vice versa;
- Control and administer all project documents and maintain updated records for the different project deliverables and revisions;
- Carry out any other tasks as required.
Impact of Results:
Smooth implementation of UNODC activities on combating money laundering, human trafficking and migrant smuggling.
Communication: Effective communication (spoken, written and presentational) skills. Ability to prepare, consolidate inputs and finalize programmatic reports, project documents and other relevant materials.
Teamwork: Good inter-personal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnership and working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity and gender.
Planning, organizing and managing performance: Ability to plan own work, manage conflicting priorities and to use time efficiently. Ability to organize and implement activities and outputs. Ability to maintain focus and pay attention to necessary details.
Accountability: Reliability and a high level of commitment to timely delivery of a heavy volume of high quality outputs and to achieving organizational goals. Strong sense of responsibility and result orientation.
Required Skills and Experience
First level university degree in administration, human resources, finance or related areas.
- Three years of relevant progressively responsible professional experience in the administration of projects, including on financial management, procurement or related areas is required.
- Work experience with the United Nations system or similar international organizations is desirable.
Other deirable skills :
- Experience in the use of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages are required.
- Experience in handling web-based management systems is an advantage.
Language requirements :
Fluency in English, French, and Arabic.
Interested candidates should submit their duly filled P.11 form and a cover letter explaining why they think they are the best candidate for the position to [email protected]; by close of business 07.12.2019 writing in the subject line the title of the position.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Refer a Friend Apply Now