Program Officer – Europe and Eurasia
Years of experience:
27 Jan 2020
The Program Officer is an intermediate professional position at IFES providing tactical support to the program division. S/he will be primarily responsible for overseeing IFES programs in the Balkans and/or region in general. Specific duties will include development, technical, administrative and financial management support and oversight. Job Responsibilities:
- Serve as primary interface with Country Director(s) and local staff to implement projects.
- Achieve project requirements within budget, established time frame, standards of quality, and funder satisfaction.
- Assist with preparing budgets, review and approve field expense reports, wire requests, vendor and consultant payments etc.
- Responsible for critical review and reporting of project financials in partnership with Finance team. Track project activities in line with budget, forecasting and evaluation of burn rate.
- Establish, maintain, and develop productive working relationship with field staff, subordinates, consultants at large, and other departments within IFES HQ.
- Assist with program design, knowledge of IFES systems, tools for project implementation and monitoring.
- Work with Monitoring and Evaluation team to design/determine program indicators, assist with monitoring to ensure activities are meeting indicators.
- Contribute to knowledge management and thought leadership.
- Troubleshoot project problems, identify and implement creative solutions.
- Monitor pending IFES grant/contract actions and coordinate timely action and response.
- Travel to field office to assist with project activities as needed.
- Participate in proposal development/new initiative process.
- Encourage professional developmental of junior program staff.Evaluate performance of supervisee(s), and provide constructive feedback and proactive management. Provide feedback on project team and project performance.
- Work with HR to source and recruit critical talent.
- Support the process of designing and implementing sub-awards and monitor progress including reviewing deliverable. Work with Contracts and Grants to ensure timely acquisition and delivery of commodities.
- Contribute, coordinate and ensure the quality of reports.
- Provide input into annual work plans, PMPs, and other programmatic reports.
- Work with Contracts and Grants to ensure timely acquisition and delivery of services.
- Other duties as assigned. Qualifications:
Education: Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s Degree in international relations, political science, international development preferred.
Experience:** Minimum of 4 years of overall work experience in the international development sector with NGO experience a plus. Experience with budget management and oversight of large single project or multiple small projects. Supervisory experience a plus.
Related Skills or Knowledge: Experience with program design and project management. Knowledgeable on USAID and non-US based grant and contract proposals, regulations, and procedures. Familiarity with USAID and non-US structure and personnel as well as other international donors. Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Excel required. Strong written and verbal communication skills are required.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: English required. Proficiency in a regional language is a plus.
TRAVEL: Travel up to 10% of time.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Standard office work environment, with occasional field travel. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
“All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment/promotions and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, race, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
IFES takes affirmative action with respect to the employment and promotion of women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and covered veterans. IFES will also take affirmative action on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.
IFES is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor”