AIIB HQ Beijing
Principal/Senior Climate Policy Specialist
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank with a mission to improve social and economic outcomes in Asia. Headquartered in Beijing, we began operations in January 2016 and have now grown to 100 approved members worldwide. By investing in sustainable infrastructure and other productive sectors in Asia and beyond, we will better connect people, services and markets that over time will impact the lives of billions and build a better future.
Strategy, Policy and Budget (SPB) Department is responsible for (i) developing and monitoring the implementation of AIIB’s strategic agenda; (ii) developing and supporting the implementation of the operational policies and procedures for AIIB’s infrastructure investment portfolio (non-treasury), including environmental, social, procurement and financial management; (iii) overseeing compliance with AIIB’s operational policies and procedures and (iii) developing the annual business plan to implement AIIB’s strategies and manage the Bank’s administrative budget to support the implementation of the annual business plan.
The SPB Department is recruiting a Principal/Senior Climate Policy Specialist. The successful candidate will be responsible for leading the development and implementation of AIIB’s strategic approach for climate change. The specialist will undertake activities to: (i) address the climate change dimensions of AIIB’s policies and strategies; (ii) support the consideration of climate change in investment programs and projects of sovereign and nonsovereign clients and (iii) lead AIIB’s capacity building and knowledge management efforts related to climate change, particularly on climate change adaptation and resilience.
- Lead AIIB’s implementation of the common framework on the Paris Agreement alignment, including leadership of AIIB’s engagement with the joint Multilateral Development Banks’ working groups on climate change.
- Lead the development of a guideline to design and implement mitigation and adaptation measures in projects, including the development of initiatives, tools, databases and institutional capacity to screen climate-related risk and of measures to increase climate resilience and reduce vulnerability.
- Lead the development, monitoring and reporting of progress on climate change and ensuring adherence to AIIB’s green corporate value.
- Provide guidance and support to the design of proposed mitigation and adaptation components into investment operations, including assessing climate cobenefit of projects, supporting the tracking and reporting on mitigation and adaptation finance and monitoring and disclosing greenhouse gas emissions from AIIB-funded projects.
- Prepare climate change-related documents, reports, guidelines, tools as required by AIIB’s strategies, taking into account AIIB Members’ and AIIB’s commitments, including the implementation of the Paris Agreement and the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Contribute and advise on the communication of AIIB’s climate change efforts to internal and external stakeholders.
- Assess Bankwide capacity-building needs on climate change and leading the design and implementation of training programs for AIIB management and staff to this end.
- As required, support the SPB Department in any other climate change-related activities.
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in climate change policy, environment and natural resource management, economics or a related field.
- More than 10-15 years of direct experience in a combination of related fields including climate change, green finance, green growth and climate-related development, national and international climate policies as well as experience in a multilateral development bank or other international institutions.
- Proven track record of leading the preparation and implementation support of investment operations, involving climate change and green growth matters.
- Proven track record on policy dialogue and managing cross-institutional collaboration at a high level, including with representatives of government and nongovernment partners.
- Results-oriented and proactive, with a demonstrated ability to lead a team as well as being a team player; good attention to detail and ability to communicate verbally and in writing in English.
- Client orientation—Proposes effective services and solutions to staff beyond presenting issues and past challenges; gains respect through the depth of expertise demonstrated in effectively managing diverse clients and country situations.
- Innovation and Change—Consistently seeks more effective and practical ways for the departmental delivery of services, products and processes and proposes new ways to improve the quality and relevance of products and services.
- Strong practical experience in applying tools and instruments for mainstreaming climate change mitigation and adaptation, green growth and climate finance into development concerns in investment operations.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a multicultural environment and build effective working relations with clients and colleagues.
- Candidates are strongly encouraged to submit a piece of written analytical work (minimum of 10 pages) alongside the application.
Previous experience and qualifications will determine the employee level at which an applicant will enter AIIB.