Reference Number: 190655
Position Level: IS 6
Department: Strategy, Policy and Review Department
Division: Results Management and Aid Effectiveness Division
Location: Asian Development Bank Headquarters
Date Posted: Tuesday, December 3, 2019
Closing Date: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 11:59 p.m. (2359 Manila Time, 0800 GMT)
Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB. 1 Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O.
- 03, paragraphs
- 8 and
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Results Management and Aid Effectiveness Division (SPRA) within the Strategy, Policy and Partnerships Department (SPD). SPD provides ADB with strategic planning perspectives and direction, ensures policy and operations coordination, develops policies and business processes for sovereign and nonsovereign operations, supports allocation and monitoring of the use of operational resources, manages the implementation of development results and effectiveness, maintains institutional relations with the international development community and quality assurance of country partnership strategies, country operational business plans, and selected projects. SPD also has direct oversight functions for the three Representative Offices in Frankfurt, Tokyo and Washington DC.
SPRA leads ADB’s actions and initiatives in implementing improved approaches, techniques, systems and procedures for better management for development results. SPRA ensures ADB’s alignment with the sustainable development goals and coordination of the implementation of ADB’s commitments on aid and development effectiveness.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Principal Results Management Specialist will oversee and provide support for the implementation of the Managing for Development Results (MfDR) approach within ADB and externally; support SPD’s quality review role; manage research on results issues and produces learning documents; and, work within a framework of broad policies, principles and goals, applying a high degree of autonomy in selection of work methods.
The incumbent will report to Director, SPRA and will supervise National and Administrative Staff.
a. Support Corporate Results Management
- Leads work on formulating measurement of ADB’s development effectiveness, including development and refinement of indicators for the Corporate Results Framework.
- Leads teams of staff and consultants to collect data, analyze, and report on areas of ADB’s performance in the Development Effectiveness Review Report.
- Supports the formulation and improvement of results management tools, including country partnership strategy results frameworks, operational priority, sector, and thematic results frameworks, project design and monitoring frameworks, and results-based work plans.
- Communicates within ADB and its stakeholders to deepen the awareness of ADB’s approach on MfDR, including participating in MfDR training programs for ADB staff and DMC officials.
b. Quality Review (QR)
- Undertakes quality review (QR) of selected Project Concept Papers and Report and Recommendation of the President.
- Takes lead responsibility for the QR of specific sectors, regions, or modalities.
- Works with processing teams as necessary to discuss and promote quality suggestions.
c. Research on Operational Issues
- Undertakes research on operational issues of concern to ADB, linked to ADB’s performance.
- Manages teams of staff and consultants to collect data, develop findings, produce recommendations, develop knowledge products.
- Carries out dissemination with Operations Departments and other stakeholders.
d. Staff Supervision
- Creates and leads multidisciplinary teams and ensure the overall quality of work.
- Supervises the performance of teams and individuals providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
- Provides coaching and mentoring to team and individuals and ensure their on-going learning and development.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master’s Degree in International Development, Public or Business Administration, Economics, or related fields; university degree in related fields combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree
- At least 12 years of combined professional experience in international development across multiple sectors, preferably including experience in a country office
- Proven experience in results management in a multilateral development bank context
- Hands-on experience with project processing and administration, preferably in a multilateral development bank context
- Experience managing research projects in an operational and/or academic context
- Able to perform effectively as a team leader, exercising supervision, coordination, and planning responsibilities over multi-disciplinary team/unit
- Able to mentor team members, providing guidance and advice on project or technical-related matters
- Able to coach team members to develop their capabilities/potential
- Able to act as an effective Officer-in-Charge of the Division when needed
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of ADB member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.