UNHCR HQ Geneva
Job Title: Job ID: Principal Communic Adviser
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Salary Grade: D1
Hardship Level: H
Family Location Type: Family
Procedures and Eligibility
Before submitting an application, UNHCR staff members intending to apply to this Job Opening are requested to consult the Recruitment and Assignments Policy (RAP, UNHCR/HCP/2017/2 and the Recruitment and Assignments Administrative Instruction (RAAI), UNHCR/AI/2017/7 OF 15 August 2017.
Duties and Qualifications
Principal Communications Adviser
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
Under the direct supervision of the High Commissioner (HC) and in close coordination with the Head of the Global Communications Service (GCS), the incumbent will provide practical, sound guidance/advice to the High Commissioner on how to position the HCÂ’s public image strategically. The incumbent will also guide/advise on sensitive communications issues/matters that may directly/indirectly impact the public image of the High Commissioner and/or the Senior Executive Team (SET), including how to better manage the High CommissionerÂ’s and the SETÂ’s media profiles on social media and other fora. The incumbent is also expected to meet, interact with and brief journalists, including influential public audiences and opinion leaders.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCRÂ’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Provide practical, sound guidance/advice to the High Commissioner and the SET on how to strategically position the HCÂ’s public image.
- Guide/advise on sensitive communications issues/matters that may directly/indirectly impact on the public image of the High Commissioner as well as of the Executive Office, including the Deputy High Commissioner and the Assistant High Commissioners for Protection and Operations.
- Manage/support the High CommissionerÂ’s media profile on social media and other fora.
- In close collaboration with the Global Communications Service, advise on positioning on global issues impacting people of concern.
- Meet, interact with and brief journalists, including influential public audiences / opinion leaders, as and when required.
- Contribute to the HCÂ’s speeches, forwards, press statements, op-eds and other external interventions to ensure that these are based on sound and accurate analysis, effectively advance UNHCRÂ’s strategic aims, reflect current policy and are appropriately tailored to the format, audience, topic and purpose of each event.
- Coordinate public statements, messages and appearances by the High Commissioner with the Head of the Global Communications Service.
Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For D1 – 17 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 16 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 15 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Communication; Journalism; Public Information;
International Relations; Public Relations; Political Science;
or other relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk
Certificates and/or Licenses
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk
Relevant Job Experience
- At least 15 years of progressively responsible experience in public information, communications, public relations, including 10 years in large multicultural institutions or international organizations.
- Experience in dealing with the media, managing high-level contacts with civil society, organization, government officials, business groups, international/diplomatic organizations/entities.
- Excellent social media skills.
- Highly developed communication (spoken, written, public speaking and presentational) skills.
Ability to work under very tight deadlines.
Desirable: Not specified
CO-International Media Contacts
CO-Experience reporting, writing, editing for magazines, newspapers and websites
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk
Essential: Fluency in English
Desirable: Good working knowledge of French and/or another official UN language.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
- C001L4 – Accountability Level 4
- C002L4 – Teamwork & Collaboration Level 4
- C003L4 – Communication Level 4
- C004L4 – Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 4
- C005L4 – Client & Result Orientation Level 4
- C006L4 – Organizational Awareness Level 4
- M001L4 – Empowering and Building Trust Level 4
- M002L4 – Managing Performance Level 4
- M006L4 – Managing Resources Level 4
- M005L4 – Leadership Level 4
- M003L4 – Judgement and Decision Making Level 4
- M004L4 – Strategic Planning and Vision Level 4
- X006L4 – Policy Development & Research Level 4
- X005L4 – Planning and Organizing Level 4
- X007L4 – Political Awareness Level 4
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that the new closing date for this vacancy is Monday 16 December 2019 (midnight Geneva time)