Job ID: 27106
Practice Area – Job Family: Management – NATIONAL PROJECT OFFICER
Vacancy End Date: (Midnight New York, USA) 06/12/2019
Duty Station: Vientiane, Lao People’s Democratic Rep
Education & Work Experience: G-Bachelor’s Level Degree – 7 year(s) experience, I-Master’s Level Degree – 3 year(s) experience
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: External
Bureau: Asia & the Pacific
Contract Duration: 1 Year Renewable
For Lao National Only
The International Trade Centre (ITC) is the joint agency of the World Trade Organization (WTO) and the United Nations (UN). It is the only multilateral agency fully dedicated to supporting the internationalization of SMEs. ITC’s mission is to foster inclusive and sustainable growth and development through trade and international business development. ITC Headquarters is located in Geneva, Switzerland.
ITC projects and programmes contribute to the global efforts to achieve UN Global Goals for Sustainable Development and the Aid for Trade agenda.
ITC works at three levels:
- Strengthening the integration of the business sector of developing countries and economies in transition into the global economy,
- Improving the performance of trade and investment support institutions for the benefit of small and medium size enterprises (SMEs), and enhancing the abilities of trade support institutions to better support them,
- Improving the international competitiveness of SMEs.
About the Project ARISE Plus – Lao PDR
ITC is the selected agency for the implementation of the ‘Lao PDR Trade-Related Assistance (ARISE Plus – Lao PDR)’ project, funded by the European Union (EU).
ARISE Plus – Lao PDR is the national Lao component of the regional ARISE Plus Programme supporting regional economic integration under focal sector 1 of the 2014-2020 Multiannual Indicative Programme for Asia. In line with the new European Consensus on Development ‘Prosperity’ chapter and its focus on inclusive and sustainable growth and jobs, it supports the Government of Lao PDR to reap the benefits of regional integration in line with multilateral trade frameworks such as the WTO Agreement on Trade Facilitation (TFA).
ARISE Plus – Lao PDR is the four-year National Lao component of the regional ARISE Plus programme that contributes to the integration of the Lao economy into global production chains through targeted support to both the public and private sectors, with a focus on smallholders and SMEs. The Overall Objective is to promote inclusive economic growth, increased climate change resilience, mitigation of vulnerability (especially due to dependence on a limited number of sectors and markets) and job creation in Lao PDR. The Specific Objectives are: a) to improve the business environment in targeted sectors with a focus on regional economic integration (ASEAN); and b) to increase trade and participation in global value-chains in targeted sectors.
Duties and Responsibilities
The National Project Officer will work under the overall supervision of the Geneva-based Project Manager and the direct supervision of the Lao-based Senior Programme Manager. Under the guidance of the Senior Programme Manager, the National Project Officer will be responsible for the support of the implementation of the ARISE Plus Project in Lao PDR.
Summary of key functions
Support to operational activities of the Project:
1. Draft status reports in accordance with the obligations on financial reporting.
2. Maintain accurate records of all operational and financial transactions for easy reference and retrieval;
3. Compile high quality briefing materials for appointments, meetings, missions etc.;
4. Support programme in conducting and facilitating workshops, meetings etc.;
5. Provide assistance in the administration and monitoring of procurement and routine administration aspects;
6. Prepare and obtain necessary permissions from the Lao Government when applicable for the implementation of project activities (e.g international consultant travel in the field).
Support the implementation of the Project:
1. Support the monitoring and evaluation of the effectiveness of activities of the projec
2. Provide support in the organization of programmatic activities such as workshops, publications, subcontracts, equipment and administrative support by, among others: preparing invitations, drafting agendas, selecting venues and participants according to agreed criteria, supervising logistical arrangements and preparing content and support material;
3. Support the effective selection of project counterparts, and beneficiaries in Lao PDR;
4. Support the organization of biannual meetings of the Project Review Committee;
5. Support the consultants hired for the Project including managing agenda, as well as for ITC HQ staff visiting Lao PDR, make related organisational arrangements, providing briefings to ensure that their inputs meet the local needs and facilitating their work in Lao PDR;
6. Coordinate with the EU delegation to Laos and provide information related to the project implementation as required ;
7. Perform other tasks related to the Project, as requested.
In this section list all core competencies as well as the most relevant technical/functional competencies the role will require along with the appropriate level. A Detailed list of competencies can be accessed through the following link: https://intranet.undp.org/unit/ohr/competency-framework/SitePages/Home.aspx
Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Level 3: Adapts deliverables to meet client needs
Ability to persuade others to follow
Level 3: Proactively seeks and recognizes contributions of others
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Level 3: Appropriately involves team in different stages of work and decision-making
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Level 3: Expresses information and views with adaptive reasoning and appreciation for complexity and variation
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Level 3: Takes responsibility for addressing critical situations and delivering core value
Detailed list of competencies can be accessed through https://intranet.undp.org/unit/ohr/competency-framework/SitePages/Home.aspx
and hiring managers are encouraged to familiarize themselves for more information
Ability to plan, organize, and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals Level 3: Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work
Knowledge of risk assessment methodologies and ability to determine degree of risk and apply to strategic and/or practical situation Level 3: Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work
Ability to identify and prioritize risks, and organize action around mitigating them Level 3: Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work
Financial Planning and Budgeting
Ability to create and manage processes to achieve Project’s long and short-term financial goals Level 3: Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in international trade, economics, business administration, development studies or related field with minimum 7 years of relevant experience in the field of technical assistance, including some experience in project management, administration or related field
- OR Master Degree or equivalent in international trade, business administration, development studies or related field with minimum of 3 – 4 years’ experience in the field of technical assistance, including some experience in project management, administration or related field.
- Understanding of UN System and prior work experience with UN Agency would be an asset;
- Familiarity with trade issues of sectors such as wood and agribusiness would be an asset;
- Familiarity with development cooperation and other trade-related technical assistance projects in the country and region is essential;
- Knowledge of public and private stakeholders in above sectors in Lao PDR would be an asset;
- Knowledge of Lao PDR Government structure and requirements for implementation of activities at local level is an asset;
- Knowledge of the structure and characteristics of the economy of Lao PDR is essential;
- Knowledge of the EU and the functioning of its institutions would be an asset;
- Updated knowledge and proven experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) is essential.
- Fluency in English (written and spoken) and Lao is required