Job ID: 27584
Practice Area – Job Family: Management
Vacancy End Date: (Midnight New York, USA) 21/12/2019
Duty Station: Yangoon, Myanmar
Education & Work Experience: G-Bachelor’s Level Degree – 2 year(s) experience, I-Master’s Level Degree – 0 year(s) experience
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: External
Bureau: Asia & the Pacific
Contract Duration: One year
With the backdrop of changing political environment in Myanmar and in the context of the ongoing triple transition of national reconciliation, democratic reform and economic liberalization, the Resident Coordinator’s Office (RCO) provides the day to day support and advice to the Resident Coordinator and UN Country Team (UNCT) in its strategic positioning and coordination of the UN programmes and processes.
The UN System in partnership with the Government of Japan provides development and humanitarian assistance to communities living in areas affected by armed and/or ethnic conflict. With focus on Rakhine, Kachin, and northern Shan states, currently eight UN agencies are delivering development and humanitarian assistance as part of the Japan Supplementary Budget Programme (JSBP) in areas ranging from health to food security, nutrition, housing, inclusive and responsive service delivery, social cohesion, empowerment of women, WASH, protection/gender-based violence, creating the conditions for return of refugees, and promoting durable solutions for internally displaced persons. In the JSBP, the RCO is tasked with inter-agency coordination for coherent program implementation and reporting, promoting the development, humanitarian and peace nexus approach.
Under overall guidance of the Senior Development Coordination Officer, Strategic Planning and RCO Team Leader, the National administration officer will work closely with the Coordination and Reporting Specialist to support the operational aspects of the RCO with specific focus on the JSBP, including finance, administration, logistics, procurement, human resources, security and IT. S/he will mainly work in close collaboration with RCO staff as well as respective UNDP team.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provide efficient financial management support with the following results:
- Prepare, monitor, and revise budgets, in close collaboration with RCO staff and UNDP team;
- Support in the production of financial reports including for the JSBP;
- Keep track of financial transactions and follow up with UNDP finance colleagues as required;
- Keep track of all expenditures and produce a financial update report for the RCO, including the JSBP, on a regular basis;
- Ensure financial integrity with checks and balance;
- Ensure that all financial transactions are recorded and verified in compliance with the corporate policies and procedures; and
- Support any relevant audit and evaluation process and follow up on recommendations for all aspects of operation (finance, administration, logistics, human resources, procurement, security, and IT).
2. Provide various administrative support with following results:
- Submit and follow up on requests for recruitment and procurement processes;
- Provide travel and logistical support services, including facilitating security clearance, organizing coordination meetings and setting up IT equipment; and
- Classify, file and store documents in order physically and electronically in accordance with corporate policies and procedures.
3. Provide support to knowledge management with following results:
- Strive for operational excellence for the JSBP and the RCO;
- Provide operational support to RCO sub-offices outside Yangon as required;
- Lead relevant trainings and share knowledge with colleagues; and
- Support trouble-shooting effort and propose improvement in the existing systems and procedures.
Level 2: Identifying and building partnerships
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build alliances
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners
- Displays initiative, sets challenging outputs for him/herself and willingly accepts new work assignments
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 2: Developing tools and mechanisms
- Participates in the development of mechanisms, including identifying new approaches to promote individual and organizational learning and knowledge sharing using formal and informal methodologies
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 2: In-depth knowledge of own discipline
- Understands advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines (financial resources and human resources management, contract, asset and procurement, information and communication technology, general administration)
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Continually looking for ways to enhance financial performance in the office
Promoting Organizational Change a nd Development
Level 2: Assisting the individuals to cope with change
- Performs appropriate work analysis and assists in redesign to establish clear standards for implementation
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Level 2: Designing and implementing management system
- Makes recommendations regarding operation of systems within organizational units
- Identifies and recommends remedial measures to address problems in systems design or implementation
Level 2: Contributing to positive outcomes for the client
- Anticipates client needs
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective
- Solicits feedback on service provision and quality
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Level 2: Input to the development of standards and policies
- Provides inputs to the development of organizational standards for accountability
- Building support and political acumen
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Building and promoting effective teams
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of the UNRCO and setting standards
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking and
- Displaying cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree with minimum two years of demonstrated experience in the stated field or master’s degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, Public Administration, Economics or other relevant fields with minimum three years of experience.
- Relevant experience (years of experience depending on the grade) in providing operational support including finance and administration in large organizations.
- Experience in the UN organizations (including funds and programmes) and demonstrable knowledge in the UN rules, systems and procedures highly desirable.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, and experience in handling of web-based management systems and ERP systems are required, preferably PeopleSoft.
- Experience of accrual accounting, IPSAS or IFRS is highly desirable.
- Fluency in English and Myanmar languages.
UNDP is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
Women are encouraged to apply the post.
Only those candidates in whose qualifications and experience th eorganization has further interest will be contacted for subsequent interview (s).
UNDP regrets its inability to reply individually or attend to telephone or e0mail queries on the advertised posts.