Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Specialist
Follow this company
DRC began its operations in Djibouti in April 2015 in order to respond to the growing refugee needs in the country as well as to the mixed migration flows from the Horn of Africa – particularly from Ethiopia and Somalia. Over the years, Djibouti has been an important transit country for migration with most migrants crossing its territory en route to Yemen and then Saudi Arabia or the Gulf states. Djibouti has one of the highest per capita rates of refugees in the world. More than 100,000 migrants are estimated to transit through Djibouti every year, representing more than 10% of the tiny country’s population.
The MEAL Specialist in Djibouti will be responsible for leading and providing technical guidance in matters related to accountability, knowledge management and learning, and internal and external communications. Specifically, the Specialist will ensure compliance with DRC’s existing accountability standards, will develop and implement processes for collecting, managing and institutionalizing program knowledge, and will lead communications and advocacy initiatives.
- Ensure all accountability policies and procedures, including the operation of field-level feedback and complaints mechanisms, are adhered to, are fully operational and understood by DRC staff and beneficiaries.
- Further develop and update DRC’s accountability-related communications and learning materials for staff, implementing partners and beneficiaries.
- Provide informed advice and guidance on improving accountability, including accountability issues related to DRC’s Code of Conduct.
- Conduct regular field visits to monitor DRC’s compliance with the internal accountability policies and procedures as well as the Core Humanitarian Standards.
- Oversee the systematic and continuous data collection and analysis on the progress of activities over time and monitor results in terms of timeliness, quality, accuracy in line with the logical framework approaches (LFAs) best practice and project documents.
- Provide technical support to field teams in planning and monitoring of ongoing projects as well as the development of systematic regular and structured M&E exercises such as evaluations, reviews, lessons learnt workshops.
- Compile various periodic internal reports for smooth and timely implementation and accomplishment of planned project activities.
- Ensure proper filing of reports and data collection tools.
- Conduct site visits when requested to monitor and assist local partners and field teams in data collection process to insure data quality.
- Oversee all reporting actions and ensure templates are appropriately used and Standard Operating Procedures are followed.
- Coordinate the development of a comprehensive overall monitoring and evaluation framework, toolkits including performance indicators and benchmarks for each aspect of the organization’s life to ensure transparency and accountability.
- Recommend and implement a systematic approach to integrate thematically defined results.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Lead the development and operationalization of a knowledge management and learning strategy for collecting, analyzing and summarizing knowledge and learning, and ensuring the integration of knowledge and learning into ongoing and future programming.
- Support program teams and implementing partners to better document and integrate knowledge and learning in their daily activities through the development of appropriate tools, guidance notes and standard operating procedures.
- Collaborate with the ETH CO office’s information management staff to develop and maintain libraries or databases of knowledge and learning content.
- Organize and facilitate internal and external learning events and participate in the development of MEAL plans, as well as project kick-off, review and closure meetings.
- Lead the development and operationalization of a communications strategy for developing and releasing regular communications pieces both internally and externally.
- Document organizational achievements in publicly accessible communications pieces including one-pagers, reports, social media posts and multimedia pieces. This will entail frequent travel to field locations to collect information in the form of observation, interviews, photos and video.
- Collaborate with DRC Ethiopia grants team to ensure compliance with donor visibility standards in all external communications.
- Support the Area Manager in liaising with journalist and external communications entities as necessary
To be successful in this role, we expect you to be a positive, mature leader with a proven track record of developing effective initiatives, programmes, and impact.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate each of DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results through the country team both to position DRC and ensure excellence in all deliverables.
- Collaborating: You lead country initiatives and processes by involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen to other stakeholders and staff; and you communicate concisely and persuasively.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Experience and Technical Competencies:
- A minimum of 3 years of MEAL and Knowledge Management experience within the humanitarian or NGO field.
- University degree in communications, social sciences or a related discipline
- Experience in knowledge management, and in the development and management of other related tools, trackers, guidelines and policies.
- Demonstrated competence to assess priorities, and concurrently manage a variety of activities effectively to meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, cross-cultural communication and ease in managing a multi-ethnic team
- Good team leadership and conflict resolution skills, consensus team building, and adaptability
- Good computer and IT skills and strong communication and writing skills
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Self-motivated and able to work with a minimum of guidance and supervision;
Availability: 1st January 2020
Duty station: Djibouti this is a non-family and unaccompanied positon.
Reporting: Area Manager
Duration: 6months, contract possibility of extension, subject to performance and funding.
Contract: Salary and conditions in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Global Expatriates available at www.drc.dk under Vacancies graded as Band N.M.G For qualified Djibouti staff the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for National staff in Djibouti
Commitments: DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework (http://www.drc.dk/HAF.4265.0.html). All DRC staff must be committed to the Red Cross Code of Conduct, as well as the Core Humanitarian Standards.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
All applicants must send a cover letter (max 1 page) and an updated CV (max 3 pages) in English. The cover letter should outline your personal motivation for applying and your key qualifications for the position. Apply online on our page Current Vacancies at www.drc.ngo. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 20th December 2019
Applications will be reviewed as they are received
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport
You can cancel email alerts at any time.