Mexico: Project Coordinator (consultancy)
Mexico City, Mexico
|Closing Date : 2019-12-14
Duty Station : Mexico City, Mexico
See all 7 jobs in Mexico City, Mexico
Application : Apply for the job
Organization: Amnesty International
Closing date: 14 Dec 2019
Amnesty International is hiring a Project Coordinator for a conference on oversight of law enforcement officials to be held in Mexico City in March 2020.
TERMS OF REFERENCE
A group of human rights actors and experts in police oversight are organizing a regional conference for Latin America and the Caribbean (gathering approximately 55 key people and organizations) to improve independent police oversight and accountability. The conference will take place over 2.5 days bringing together key actors from across Latin America and the Caribbean working on police oversight, from government, law enforcement, existing oversight bodies, civil society, the UN system and academia.
Participants will principally focus on:
* Discussing concrete strategies to strengthen police oversight and the criteria and considerations to be taken into account when setting up or strengthening the effectiveness of existing police oversight mechanisms in a way that respects, protects and fulfils human rights.
* Identifying good practice procedures for investigating and scrutinizing excess use of force, and
* Strengthening the capacity of diverse allies (in government, NGOs, civil society) to leave the meeting able to advocate for improved independent police oversight in their respective countries.
Amnesty is looking for a project coordinator with strong coordination skills and practical experience in organising a regional and/internationals events. The overall responsibility of the Project Coordinator is to ensure that all operations for the preparation of the Conference in Mexico City are carried out smoothly within the agreed deadlines, framework and budget, that the Conference is held successfully, and that the immediate follow-up of the Summit is carried out.
Under the administrative supervision of the Deputy Campaigns Director for the Americas, and in close collaboration with other International Secretariat staff including researchers, volunteers and interns, and partner organisations the Project Coordinator will carry out the following tasks:
* Maintain and update a workplan for the Conference and wider project post-conference (with deadlines and responsibilities).
* Update and monitor the overall budget.
* Ensure coordination within the organizing group, including by organizing regular calls, ensuring information-sharing and prepare the decision-making process.
* Ensure regular reporting to the organizing group.
* Lead the hiring process of an external facilitator for the conference and ensure it s coordination with the organizing group and collaborating partners.
* Reach out to organizations identified by the organizing group to invite as collaborating partners.
* Ensure coordination between the organizing group, the task force and the collaborating partners, including by setting up regular calls and responding to emails and requests.
* Coordinate the invitation process, including the identification of organizations, experts, human rights defenders, and other participants to invite, together will the relevant partners.
* Coordinate, together with all relevant partners, the preparation of the Conference program and the consultation process to agree a draft joint vision to be adopted at the Conference.
* Support the coordination of logistics ahead and during the Conference, including: ensuring venues and accommodation are secured; interpretation and related equipment are arranged; receptions and other social events are organised as appropriate during the Conference; participants receive adequate support for their visas application; a registration system for participants is set up.
* Coordinate production of materials for the Conference.
* Act as the central point of communication and collaboration among external and internal stakeholders for all matters relating to the Conference.
* Assist with the recruitment, briefing and supporting of a team of volunteers.
* Act as the main contact person for any logistical issues during the conference
* Coordinate any follow-up and evaluation post-Conference, including the production of a summary of the event in multiple languages.
The Project Coordinator will be able to take initiative, while being a member of a team. He/she will have proven organisational, communication and interpersonal skills, and his/her focus on attention to detail will be strong, while keeping in mind deadlines and expected results.
He/she must be able to work in English and Spanish (Portuguese would be an additional advantage).
He/she will share Amnesty International s mission and values and have some experience and understanding of addressing human rights violations by law enforcement, and interest in supporting organizations to find solutions to this issue.
Location:Mexico City (International Secretariat Mexico City)
Duration: 4-month contract (January-April 2020)
Starting: January 2020
Closing date to apply: 12/12/2019
How to apply: