WHO South Sudan
Measles SIAs Consultant
( 1905433 )
Grade : No grade
Contractual Arrangement : External consultant
Contract duration : Six Months
Job Posting: Nov 29, 2019, 8:05:15 PM
BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES OF THE FUNCTION
The 2015 measles strategic plan for South Sudan provided a guiding framework including activities geared towards the global measles elimination agenda by the year 2020. To achieve this goal, different strategic interventions are being implemented covering supplementary immunization, accelerated immunization activities, measles surveillance, strengthening of case management. Measles catch up campaign was conducted in a rollover form from 2005 to 2006; this was followed by two Follow-up Campaigns in 2011, 2014 and 2016 respectively.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the guidance and leadership of the WHO Communicable Disease Cluster Lead and the day-to-day supervision of the EPI Program Manager, the consultant is expected to work closely with the Ministry of Health, WHO, UNICEF and NGOs partners to execute the following activities to ensure quality of Supplemental Immunization Activities (SIAs) preparation in South Sudan:
- Support the central coordination of the planning and preparation for the Measles SIAs.
- Promote and support the regular use of the various tools and methods to track and assure high quality preparations at all levels- including the readiness assessment at national and district levels, timely supervision of preparations.
- Collaborate with the various SIAs subcommittees (logistics, social mobilization, planning and resource mobilization, etc) to produce updates on the SIAs preparation and implementation activities for distribution to relevant partners.
- Support the review of the county level micro-planning for the SIAs to ensure high quality and consistency as per the national guidelines, and to ensure that hard to reach communities are identified and special strategies are designed to reach them
- Support the review/update of the South Sudan Measles campaign guidelines . Participate in the training at all levels, including the training of supervisors as well as independent monitors as per the SIAs field guide .
- Ensure measures are put in place for preventing, reporting and managing AEFIs and waste management
- Promote and support the regular use of the various tools and methods to assure high quality implementation of the SIAs- including the rapid convenience monitoring, the post-campaign independent monitoring,
- Participate in the coordination meetings for planning and implementation of the SIAs
- Support the analysis of the end-process (post-campaign) Independent monitoring and provide recommendations on the conduct of the mop-up activities.
- Participate in any post SIAs review meetings to share lessons learnt and take action for reaching the missed persons
- Submit a written report on the assignment prior to departure
- An advanced university degree (Master’s level or above) in public health, management or public administration or related field from an accredited/recognized institute.
- Medical degree from a recognized University.
- At least 7 years of professional work experience at national and international levels in measles and rubella elimination initiative, routine immunization, and vaccines preventable diseases and surveillance programs activities.
- Demonstrated international experience in providing SIAs, measles/rubella elimination initiative (MRI) program technical support to various previous experience in the coordination of measles, rubella, polio, and meningitis SIAs and routine immunization program activities. Is an added advantage.
- Experience in countries with special needs (Affected by Conflicts and Wars)
- Experience on the development of SIAs guidelines, SIAs monitoring tools.
- Experience in development of Post SIAs coverage survey protocol & it’s Implementation
- Experienced in planning and facilitating of training at national, state and county level.
Use of language skills
- Essential: Excellent knowledge of English. Working knowledge of Arabic will be an asset.
Specific skills required:
- Ability to work closely with national and international actors with tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships with both national and field staff.
- Good computer skills including utilizing spreadsheets and database to monitor key campaign indicators.