Save the Children
12 Dec 2019
TERMS OF REFERENCE
POSITION MEAL Expert
AREA/DEPARTMENT International Programmes / Portfolio Department
PLACE OF WORK Save the Children Italia Onlus (Roma)
TYPE OF CONTRACT Co.co.co. 3-6 months
SALARY Range 26.000 € – 28.000 €
CSP LEVEL 1
INTRODUCTION TO SAVE THE CHILDREN
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children.
OUR VISION is a world in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development and participation.
OUR MISSION is to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives
Save the Children Italia (SC IT) was created as an ONLUS in 1998 and is now a prominent member of Save the Children International.
SAVE THE CHILDREN’S VALUES
ACCOUNTABILITY: We take personal responsibility for using our resources efficiently, achieving measurable results, and being accountable to supporters, partners and, most of all, children.
AMBITION: We are demanding of ourselves and our colleagues, set high goals and are committed to improving the quality of everything we do for children.
COLLABORATION: We respect and value each other, thrive on our diversity, and work with partners to leverage our global strength in making a difference for children.
CREATIVITY: We are open to new ideas, embrace change, and take disciplined risks to develop sustainable solutions for and with children.
INTEGRITY: We aspire to live to the highest standards of personal honesty and behavior; we never compromise our reputation and always act in the best interests of childre n.
To finance our work we depend on the support of the general public, volunteers, the corporate sector, governments and international donor agencies.
CHILD SAFEGUARDING POLICY
At Save the Children Italy we are committed to the safeguarding and protection of children in our work. Save the Children believes that a child or young person should never experience abuse of any kind. We have a responsibility to work in a way that promotes the welfare of children and protects them from harm. Our Organization has a zero tolerance approach to any harm to or exploitation of a child by any of our staff, representatives or partners. Save the Children expects the highest standards of behavior from all its staff when dealing with children. Those who are representing Save the Children must adhere to the Child Safeguarding Policy, both in their private and professional lives
Save the Children Italy will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work with children are recruited to work for us.
The MEAL Expert will guide or support the development and implementation of MEAL components of SC Italy’s international programme portfolio and strategic initiatives.
Contribute to ensuring quality, consistency and coherence of SC IT international programmes through MEAL:
In proposal development:
· To provide support in the design of MEAL components in proposal development activities: support the design and adequate resourcing of MEAL components, in alignment with Save the Children Italy’s programmatic and strategic priorities, including on the evidence and learning component.
In project implementation:
· Advise and provide support to COs as required on the implementation of Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning components, including on MEAL plans, baseline studies, data collection tools, databases and project reports as required;
· Provide support in project baselines and evaluations including by sharing templates and available tools at the planning stage; reviewing TORs, inception reports and draft evaluation reports to ensure quality and rigour in the process;
· Collect and organize existing internal and key external MEAL tools and resources, and share them as needed;
· Contribute to strengthening MEAL capacity in the field through field missions, dedicated remote support, training and resource sharing as needed.
Strengthen MEAL applicable framework in Youth Empowerment Programme:
· Support the Child Poverty and Youth Livelihoods Advisor in consolidating learning from the four countries involved in the Youth Empowerment programme supported and led by Save the Children Italy;
· Collect and analyse data on aggregated indicators for the Youth Empowerment Programme yearly reporting to donor.
· Contribute to the use of measurement tools on Life Skills for Success Common Approach and ensure the use in the YEB programme;
Save the Children Italy’s Strategic Priorities on MEAL
Core Thematic Indicators, Programmatic KPIs and SDG tracking
· Maintain and regularly update a database for collection of core indicators for Education, ASST, Child Protection and FSL programmes, as well as programmatic KPIs and SDG relevant indicators for yearly aggregated reporting.
· Support the implementation of the MEAL component for the Resilient Economic Development (RED) gains strategic initiative led by the Child Poverty Food Security and Livelihoods Advisor. In particular:
Support CO in integrating results of inception phase in final proposal, learning agenda and MEAL framework (possible field visit in Malawi).
Support the design of the baseline methodology, together with data collection tools, as well as analysis and reporting.
· Support the implementation of the MEAL component for the Case Management strategic initiative led by the Child Protection Advisor. In particular:
- Provide steer on the development of the analytical framework to be used in the analysis of practices mapped on Steps to Protect toolkit aimed at reviewing its adequacy to the needs of children involved in migration.
• At least 4 project proposals supported
• At least 6-7 projects under implementation supported
• Data on YEB aggregated indicators collected for yearly donor report
• Database for core indicators updated with new projects mapped
• MEAL components of Strategic Initiatives RED (FSL) and Case Management (CP) monitored in implementation and consequently reviewed, including the applicable theory of change
• Baseline report for RED initiative commented and finalized
• Set up of DB for analysis on mapping of Steps to Protect toolkit on children involved in migration realised
• Up to 2 field visits conducted
• Analysis and consolidation of YEB four-country yearly reports conducted for aggregated reporting
• Baseline TOR and data collection tools for RED strategic initiative finalized in collaboration with CO
EXPERIENCES & QUALIFICATIONS
• Master degree in social sciences, economics, statistics or other relevant area
• Extensive experience (minimum 3 years) in Monitoring and Evaluation and MEAL related work
• Ability to work both in a hands on implementation and advisory capacity
• Significant experience in designing and managing assessments and evaluations (at least 3 years)
• Previous experience in designing and conducting impact assessments
• Demonstrated strong monitoring and evaluation skills, including setting up and providing technical advice to M&E systems and plans, databases, and data collection tools.
• Experience establishing systems of community participation and accountability
• Ability to write clear and effective assessment and project reports with high level of written and spoken English
• Experience of contributing to successful funding proposals for donors
• Proficiency with data management and data analysis
• Availability to travel
• Previous experience in an International NGO
• Fluency in English and Italian, both written and verbal
• Capacity to relate to a different range of internal and external stakeholders
• Flexible and adaptable to changing context
• Pragmatic/solutions oriented/problem solver yet having strong analytical skills
• Strong team player
• Able to work effectively with others towards the achievement of common objectives
• Commitment to Save the Children values