Liberia Health Financing Advisor (Performance-Based Financing)
Years of experience:
20 Dec 2019
Do you believe that everyone deserves access to affordable, quality healthcare? Are you driven by creativity, bold ideas, and disruptive innovation? Are you inspired by exceptionally talented, diverse, impact-oriented colleagues? Do you thrive in a dynamic, high-growth, fast-paced environment? Most importantly, are you fed-up, even disgusted, with the status quo of foreign assistance in the health sector? Then consider a job with ThinkWell.
ThinkWell is an established health systems organization, with both global influence and local grounding. Our focus is on driving transformation in the global health space by always questioning and disrupting conventional wisdom about what works or what can or cannot be done. We develop solutions tailored to a client’s context and political realities and do not replicate global models and all-purpose solutions and believe in pragmatisms over ideology. We know that to drive change, we must focus on how the world could be, rather than making excuses for the status quo.
ThinkWell is seeking a Health Financing Advisor for a four-year USAID Liberia Strategic Technical Assistance for Improved Health System Performance and Health Outcomes (STAIP) project. The STAIP Activity aims to improve health system performance which will address sustainable capacity building through deployment of a range of technical approaches including embedded technical assistance. The health financing areas including the following; domestic resource mobilization, strategic purchasing and pooling, introduction of solutions for sustainable health financing and ensuring financial protection of the poor.
The Health Financing advisor role is embedded within the Ministry of Health (MoH) and will work collaboratively with the Ministry counterparts and the Health Equity Fund Advisor for this project. S/he will also work within a broader program team that addresses the pillars of health system funded by USAID STAIP. The advisor will report to ThinkWell’s Health Financing lead.
Liberian nationals are encouraged to apply. This position includes a national benefits package and does not include international relocation or expatriate benefits.
- The Health Financing Advisor will work within the MOH’s PBF unit to support strengthening of PBF in order to improve health system performance and quality of care.
Areas of responsibility include:
Provide technical leadership for PBF design, implementation, monitoring and verification, with Ministry of Health counterparts
Drive the evidence use to inform related health financing policy development at the national level to help achieve key STAIP objectives related to public financial management, performance-based financing, and the Liberia Health Equity Fund (LHEF)
Provide technical assistance for priority health financing areas to scale PBF and actively contribute to related health sector reforms, including sub-sector policies and strategies for integration of output-based financing approaches
Work with the STAIP program team members to develop collaborative learning and adaptation (CLA) to advance health financing knowledge management and evidence use, counterpart program learning, and to catalyze formative health systems development
- Design and manage a capacity building model that ensures local counterparts within the PBF Unit build solid competencies within the priority areas of health financing and policy work
- Write high-quality technical reports and policy briefing materials
- Master’s degree in health economics, health systems or related field
- Minimum of ten years of relevant work experience in health sector programming, preferably in Liberia
- Deep knowledge and expertise in performance-based financing (PBF) design, delivery, and monitoring at national and district level is preferred
- Demonstrated expertise in design, implementation, and monitoring of health financing programs
- Familiarity with USAID-supported projects and experience collaborating with donors, country institutions, and implementing organizations
- Excellent knowledge of methodologies used in health finance and policy research as well as monitoring, evaluation, and learning
- Strong written and oral communication skills for high-level technical and policy audiences
- Excellent oral and written English with ability to write reports and other documents is essential
Skills and Competencies
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, high-growth, fast-paced environment
- Creative technical approach that pushes boundaries
- Understanding of how to navigate relationships and advocate for bold ideas within complex environments such as ministries of health, ministries of finance, and large funding organizations and technical agencies
- Strong skills in managing client expectations and delivering to meet client needs
- Ability to represent ThinkWell convincingly and credibly
- Independent thinker who thrives working in a team
- Ability to mentor and coach junior colleagues
- Exceptional ability to write compelling technical reports, position papers, and proposals
- Comfort in speaking to and engaging a range of different audiences on technical concepts