OSCE in Kyiv, Ukraine
Issued by: OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine
Vacancy number: VNSMUS00990
Vacancy type: International Seconded
Field of expertise: Rule of Law
Number of posts: 1
Duty station: Kyiv
Date of issue: 5 December 2019
Deadline for application: 26 December 2019 – 23: 59 Central European Time (CET/CEST)
General Minimum Requirements
The general minimum requirements for working with the OSCE are:
- Excellent physical condition
- Possession of a valid automobile driving license and ability to drive using manual transmission
- Ability to cope with physical hardship and willingness to work extra hours and in an environment with limited infrastructure
Field of Expertise Requirements
The general minimum requirements for working in this field of expertise are:
- Experience in the practice of law, e.g. judges, prosecutors, lawyers, etc.
- Knowledge of courtroom proceedings and criminal law and procedure
- Knowledge of international legal procedure standards and instruments
- Demonstrable organizational, analytical, communication and interpersonal skills
Level of Professional Competence Requirements
Furthermore, this level of responsibility requires the following:
First-level university degree in law, preferably with a specialization in public international law or other relevant field
Minimum 6 years of relevant professional experience
Mission Specific Requirements
Additionally, this particular post has specific requirements:
- Minimum of six years of professional experience, directly-related to the tasks and responsibilities of the post;
- Demonstrated ability to grasp the important aspects of complex issues and make expeditious and firm decisions based on sound judgement;
- Strong ability to deliver written and oral information clearly;
- Professional fluency in English, including excellent drafting skills; working knowledge of another OSCE official language would be an asset;
- Demonstrated gender awareness and sensitivity, as well as the ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and constructive working relationships with people of different cultural and religious backgrounds, different genders, and diverse political views, while maintaining impartiality and objectivity;
- Ability to operate Windows applications, including word processing and e-mail.
- Experience practicing as lawyer in an international organization, law firm, company or Government;
- Experience with the OSCE, UN common system and/or other international organizations;
- Knowledge of the regional historical, cultural and political situation;
- Experience in working in Eastern Europe and/or knowledge of the region.
Tasks and Responsibilities
If applicable, deployment is subject to attendance to and successful completion of pre-deployment training and assessment.
Applicants are hereby notified that the Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine (SMM) is designated by the OSCE as a nonfamily duty station. This designation is based on the fluid and dynamic working environment in the SMM. The currently prevailing working conditions in the duty station may include working in a hazardous location with extended hours of service, and possibly curtailed freedom of movement. Successful candidates who are appointed to locations deemed by the OSCE as hazardous will receive hazard pay. In addition, all successful candidates will be required to participate in the OSCE accident and life insurance scheme in accordance with the OSCE Staff Regulations and Staff Rules.
This is a unique opportunity for a Legal Officer to join the SMM Legal Office team of approximately five staff in Kyiv. Should you be selected for this role, you would gain insight into the legal workings of an international organization as a part of the OSCEs largest field mission and be exposed to a dynamic and multicultural working environment.
Should you be selected for this role, you will work under the direct supervision of the Senior Legal Adviser who heads the SMM Legal Office, and co-operate regularly with the OSCE Secretariat Office of Legal Affairs. In particular, you will carry out the following duties as a Legal Officer:
Providing legal advice on the elaboration, review, interpretation, and application of the regulatory framework of the Mission, including the OSCE Staff Regulations, Rules and Instructions, Financial Regulations, and other administrative issuances; Reviewing and providing legal advice on the interpretation of legal instruments, such as the SMM Mandate, agreements, memoranda of understanding, or other legal materials relevant to the work of the Mission; Providing legal advice in relation to the SMMs contracts such as for the lease of premises and for the acquisition of goods and services as well on in relation to vehicle insurance, customs, and OSCE property loss or damage; Drafting legal documents for appeals or other matters related to the OSCE Staff Regulations and Staff Rules as well as other administrative issuances; Providing advice on matters related to SMM Committees and Boards; Drafting correspondence including Note Verbales for the Chief Monitor, and advice to SMM units; Providing legal advice on dispute resolution, including by examining claims by or against the SMM and its officials; Performing extensive legal research and analysis on legislation, legal instruments and any other legal materials relevant to the work of the Mission; Performing other duties as requested.
For more detailed information on the structure and work of the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine, please see //www.osce.org/special-monitoring-mission-to-ukraine’>https: //www.osce.org/special-monitoring-mission-to-ukraine
The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages the nomination of qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious, ethnic and social backgrounds. Please note that nationals or permanent residents of the country of the duty station are not eligible to apply
Candidates should, prior to applying, verify with their respective nominating authority to which extent financial remuneration and/or benefit packages will be offered.
Please apply to your relevant authorities several days prior to the deadline expiration to ensure timely processing of your application. Delayed nominations will not be considered.