CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST – VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT : 1902851
Knowledge Management Specialist
Job Posting: 28/Nov/2019
Closure Date: 12/Dec/2019, 10:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit : ESD
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition : Consultant / PSA (Personal Services Agreement)
Grade Level : N/A
Primary Location: Italy-Rome
Duration : 11 months
Post Number : N/A
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Governance and Policy Support (GaPS) Unit in the ADG-ES Office (Economic and Social Development Department), provides cross-Organizational support to maintain and enhance the quality of FAO’s role and work in governance and policy support. The GaPS team also works with FAO Strategic Programme teams, regional SP Coordinators, FAO Representatives and policy officers in the field to support analyse and formulate strategies to address key process bottlenecks and political economy challenges impeding effective policy formulation and implementation.
The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the subsequent UN development system reform both call for scaled-up action to support transformative change. Integrated policy support services, linking data and policy analysis, are an important area of support, and FAO has been called upon to lead UN efforts to make its technical and policy analysis capacities more available to a wide range of internal and external stakeholders.
FAO’s science-based, country-led Hand-in-Hand Initiative aims to accelerate progress toward the Sustainable Development Goals with a special focus on eliminating extreme poverty, hunger and all forms of malnutrition, has been identified as a critical corporate effort to ascertain FAO’s technical and policy leadership rural development and governance support in the context of 2030 Agenda. As part of the Hand-in-Hand Initiative and preparation for the global food systems summit, FAO is engaging member states, multilateral development banks, other UN agencies, and private companies. It is analyzing policy objectives and technical interventions in pilot countries where the initiative will roll out in early 2020.
There is a critical need for strategic knowledge management support. Specifically, this support is aimed at strengthening FAO’s data analyses, deploying its analytical tools using the corporate policy portal www.fao.org/policy-support and other platforms, engaging in evidence-based Common Country Analysis, and establishing and managing communities of practice with internal stakeholders and external partners.
She/he will work under the overall supervision of the ADG-ES and under the day-to-day supervision of the Senior Coordinator, Governance and Policy at ESD.
Knowledge management, policy dialogue, policy strategic partnerships, digital strategy, multi-stakeholder approaches, governance and political economy analysis, analytical reports, workshops facilitation and case studies related to FAO governance and policy work.
Tasks and responsibilities
Corporate Policy Portal
- Complete the upgrade of the policy portal in consultation with internal stakeholders in FAO, as well as policy officers in regional offices.
- Enhance the portal’s search function, develop and roll out the regional sections.
- Update existing content and develop new material, including regular policy impact blogs for posting.
- Conduct a survey to collect feedback from internal stakeholders, permanent missions and country-level decision makers on the portal’s contribution to their policy and governance work.
- Incorporate their feedback to improve the performance of the portal.
- Monitor the portal’s performance and implement any innovation to increase its impact.
- Provide any other support as necessary.
Corporate initiatives: Hand-in-Hand and 2021 Global Food Systems Summit
Under the guidance of the supervisor and in collaboration with team
- Work with internal stakeholders and external partners to define and coordinate efforts for rolling Hand-in-Hand at the country level.
- Be responsible for the outline and content of technical reports and associated briefing notes.
- Develop and implement a knowledge management strategy and activities.
- Execute the strategy across different platforms, with a strong focus on capturing and promoting the reach and impact of the initiative.
- Coordinate content creation with internal members.
- Closely follow the external environment with regard to significant public policy issues to propose and develop solutions that support the implementation of the initiative and maintain the FAO’s comparative advantage.
- Support to Common Country Analysis (CCA) and UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF).
- Carry out any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING:
- Advanced university degree (master’s degree or equivalent) in internal relations, social science, business administration, or other relevant field (mandatory for COF.REG). A first-level university degree in a related field may be accepted with an additional five years of relevant professional work experience (for PSA.SBS).
- A minimum of 12 years of relevant work experience in project or programme management, policy and governance support, strategic/web knowledge management, market and political economy analysis related to agriculture and food policy, nutrition, fragile states, environment, sustainable rural development, social inclusion and other related areas.
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and working knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Extent and relevance of experience in supporting open platforms for communities of practice linked to food and agriculture policy.
- Extent and relevance of experience in governance and policy support related to food security, nutrition and agricultural development.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in policy communications and governance support in developing countries.
- Familiarity with FAO’s governance and policy work is considered a strong asset.
- Ability to plan and organize work, deliver results and meet deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
FAO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list
Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
Candidates should upload language certificate/s when submitting their application.
For more information, visit the FAO employment website
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline
If you need help please contact: [email protected]
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT