ITU HQ Geneva
ITU is the leading United Nations agency for information and communication technologies, with the mission to connect the world. To achieve this, ITU manages the radio-frequency spectrum and satellite orbits at the international level, works to improve communication infrastructure in the developing world, and establishes global standards that foster seamless interconnection of a vast range of communication systems. ITU also organizes global Telecom events bringing together the most influential representatives of government and the private sector to exchange ideas and knowledge for the benefit of all.
VACANCY NOTICE Nº 4SSA-2019/BDT-PDD/EXTERNAL
Date of Issue: 2 December 2019
Applications from women are encouraged
Functions: Junior Programme officer
Deadline for Applications (23.59 Geneva CH) : 23 December 2019
Duration of Contract: 5,5 months
Type of Appointment: Special Service Agreement
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
Grade: To be defined / Other
The Telecommunication Development Bureau (BDT) is responsible for the organization and coordination of the work of the Telecommunication Development Sector (ITU-D) of the Union which deals mainly with ICT-focused development policies, strategies and programmes, as well as technical cooperation activities, to promote digital inclusion and drive digital transformation at community, country and regional levels. To effectively and efficiently serve the needs of ITU members, BDT is organized into four functional areas:
- Office of the Deputy to the Director and Field Operations Coordination Department
- Partnerships for Digital Development Department
- Digital Networks & Society Department
- Digital Knowledge Hub Department
The Partnerships for Digital Development Department is responsible for the development of sustainable and impactful partnerships with donors, foundations, and the private sector. It further coordinates the delivery of these resources to meet the needs of the membership in accordance with World Telecommunication Development Conference (WTDC) and ITU Plenipotentiary Conference (PP) outcomes. This department is also responsible for project design and support, and contributes actively to the implementation of the regional initiatives. Finally, this department is charged with defining the BDT membership strategy and for the sound management of the ICT Development Fund.
Duties / Responsibilities
Under the supervision of Head of the Project Support Division, and in close consultation with the Head of the Communications and Promotion Service, the incumbent assist in the development of activities and products relevant to the BDT Youth programme. To this end, the incumbent performs the following duties:
- Develops and assists in the implementation of a plan to promote the outcomes of the Future casters Summit, linked to the BDT Youth activities.
- Assists in the development and organization of activities to support the work of BDT on Youth in 2020.
- Develops a plan to organize BDT Youth activities during Telecommunication Development Advisory Group (TDAG) 2020 and assists in their organization.
- Performs other duties related to BDT Youth activities, as requested.
- Assistance to promote the outcomes of the Futurecasters Summit is developed.
- Activities on the work of BDT on Youth for 2020 are planned, organized and assisted.
- BDT Youth activities at TDAG 2020 are organized.
- BDT Youth activities have been performed.
- Core Competencies: Applying Expertise; Effective Communication; Learning and Knowledge Sharing; Organizational Commitment; Results-Focused, and; Teamwork and Collaboration.
- Essential Functional Competencies: Planning and Organizing; Analysis, Judgement and Decision-Making, and; Client and Service Orientation.
- Essential Technical Competencies: Ability to organize workshops, summit and seminars in line with BDT Youth Programme. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing in English.
University degree in public relations, project management, economics, or a related field OR education in a reputed college of advanced education, with a diploma of equivalent standard to that of a university degree in one of the fields above.
At least one year of experience in public relations, project management. An advanced university degrees in related fields can be considered as a substitute for one year of working experience.
Fluency in oral and written English is a requirement. Knowledge of French is an additional advantage.
$ 200 per day
The title right, copyright rights, and all other rights of whatsoever nature in any material produced under the provision of this agreement shall be vested exclusively in the ITU.
Applicants will be contacted directly if selected for written test. Interviews may be used as a form of screening.
For further information concerning the Conditions of Employment please click the following link
Applicants will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration
ITU is a smoke-free environment