Health Access Assistant
IRC – The International Rescue Committee
Open positions at IRC
Founded in 1933, the IRC is a leading nonsectarian, voluntary organization providing relief, protection and resettlement services for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. In the U.S., the IRC resettles approximately 11,000 refugees per year and provides numerous program services to assist the refugee from their arrival through citizenship. The IRC in Salt Lake City opened it office in 1994 and provides resettlement services through extended case management to newly arrived refugees for up to 24-months as well as over twenty different programs to educate and empower refugees.
The IRC SLC Health Program works to ensure that newly resettled refugees have access to comprehensive, linguistically and culturally appropriate medical and mental health services. Under the direction of the Health Empowerment Coordinator, the Health Access Assistant will be responsible for facilitating health access for newly resettled refugees from pre-arrival up to eight months, through scheduling, coordination and transportation.
•Schedule and coordinate health screening follow up appointments and referrals, including transportation & interpretation
•Provide transportation for client health/medical/dental appointments
•Assist clients in ensuring medical bills have been billed to Medicaid
•Schedule and coordinate dental appointments for clients
•Complete R&P health related case-notes in ETO
•Ensure client health needs are addressed in a timely manner
•Coordinate immunizations for adult clients
•Support health team staff in teaching clients how to navigate the U.S. healthcare system
•Comply with all policies and protocols of the agency
•Support overall functioning of Health Programs, projects and initiatives
•Participate in all program meetings and staff development activities
•Other related duties as assigned.
• Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Public Health, Health Promotion or Social Work; or equivalent work experience
• One to two years of work experience in health education/administration; preferably with diverse/refugee population
• Familiarity with Medicaid, US health care system, and refugee health needs/issues
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and demonstrated success working and communicating effectively in a multi-cultural environment and with limited-English speakers
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team member
• Strong computer skill with proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook); database experience a plus
• Well-organized with proven ability to prioritize duties and manage time effectively
• Commitment to the IRC mission and core values
• Valid driver’s license, current insurance and access to reliable transportation required
IRC- leading the way from harm to home
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires candidates who are selected for interview to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for this position.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Updated 1 hour ago