GAVI Alliance, Geneva
Vacancy No: VN1104
Job Title: Intern, Gender and Equity
Purpose of Position: Support the Policy team in conducting the Gender Policy review
Reporting to: Manager, Policy
Career Step Level: N/A
Job Description: BACKGROUND
In 2013, Gavi’s Board approved the Gender Policy. Through this, Gavi is committed to increasing immunisation coverage by 1) supporting countries to overcome gender-related barriers to accessing immunisation services and 2) promoting equity of access and utilisation for all girls and boys, women and men to immunisation and related health services that respond to their different health needs.
The Policy team is leading a review and update of the gender policy in 2020. The review will be conducted in light of findings and lessons learned from implementation since the last policy update in 2013, the changed global health environment and thinking around gender, and to best enable the pursuit of Gavi’s 2021-25 strategy – Gavi
- 0. This strategy emphasises gender throughout. There is an Alliance-wide principle to be ‘gender focused’ and a specific objective within Goal 2 (on strengthening health systems) to identify and address gender-related barriers to immunisation.
KEY RESULTS EXPECTED
- Development of discussion and presentation materials for the Gavi Board, synthesis of public and private consultations;
- Case studies on implementing gender in 3-5 countries, and integrating gender into grant and country guidelines and present findings to the Gender Working Group;
- Development of communication materials and presentations relating to gender and immunisation in support of the work of the Policy team.
- Support the policy team with the day-to-day activities of the gender policy review, including country and partner consultations and development of materials for the Gavi governance committees;
- Contribute to the implementation of the gender policy, including reviewing country documents, identifying potential partners to implement, integrating language on gender in guidelines;
- Support the Policy teams in producing information sheets, presentations and other communication materials relating to gender and immunisation.
Note: The essential functions listed in this section are not exhaustive of the job responsibilities; other duties may be assigned consistently with the department needs.
Work Experience: Skills/Competencies
- Understanding of gender as a social determinant of health, including gender-related barriers in access to health services in a public health context;
- Experience in conducting qualitative analyses;
- Experience in conducting consultations;
- Experience of report writing and research;
- Experience of international contexts;
- Desirable: Experience in monitoring and evaluating public health programmes.
- Excellent written and spoken English language skills;
- Knowledge of French, Russian, Spanish or Portuguese is an asset.
- Advanced qualifications in gender, behavioural or social sciences, social and behaviour change, anthropology, international development, public health or other relevant degree.
- Gavi Secretariat.
Additional Information: For more information on the Gavi Internship Programme please visit:
Please note, that to be eligible for this internship, you MUST be a student or have graduated within the last twelve months.
Gavi is committed to diversity within its workforce and encourage applications from all qualified candidates.
If you wish to apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter via our Careers webpage and apply by clicking on ‘Intern, Gender & Equity’. Application deadline is 10 December 2019.
Duration: Start date: January – April 2020 (flexible), for 3-6 months
Become part of our community and join us on Facebook and Twitter for updates about our mission to save children’s lives! You can also follow our hashtag #vaccineswork.