Reference Number: 190677
Position Level: IS 4
Department: Southeast Asia Department
Division: Office of the Director General, SERD
Location: Asian Development Bank Headquarters
Date Posted: Monday, November 18, 2019
Closing Date: Thursday, December 19, 2019 11:59 p.m. (2359 Manila Time, 0800 GMT)
Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB. 1 Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O.
- 03, paragraphs
- 8 and
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Office of the Director General (SEOD) within the Southeast Asia Department (SERD). The department covers operations in Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, the Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste, and Viet Nam. SEOD provides overall support to the SERD management in terms of programming, portfolio management, results monitoring, and implementation of ADB’s long-term strategic framework to deliver projects that create economic and development impact in the region.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Infrastructure Specialist (Innovation and Green Finance) will support development of the SERD Innovation Hub in four critical areas, a) management and implementation of the ASEAN Catalytic Green Finance Facility (ACGF) and the ASEAN Inclusive Finance Facility (IFF); b) development of innovative country programs, policies and project concepts including a climate/green finance focus; c) origination of innovative project pipelines (in close discussion and coordination with PSOD for private sector projects)and implementation of select sovereign projects; d) development of innovative or structured finance capacity building programs for internal and external clients. In all these the Specialist is expected to support the Hub in management of technical assistance sources, work closely with SERD sector and country teams, represent ADB in internal and external events, and explore areas for collaboration with other ADB departments including Private Sector Operations Department (PSOD), Office of Public-Private Partnership, Strategy, Policy and Partnerships Division, Treasury Division and Office of the General Counsel.
The incumbent will report to Director General, SERD and Advisor, SEOD and will supervise one or more National and Administrative staff.
The ASEAN Catalytic Green Finance Facility (ACGF) and the ASEAN Inclusive Finance Facility (IFF)
- Supports development and implementation of operationalization strategies for project origination (with SERD resident missions and sector divisions), policy harmonization with ACGF partners, fund raising, future ACGF and IFF product and pricing development
- Develops, maintains and evolves ACGF green frameworks for project selection as well as other eligibility criteria, including interface with relevant ADB departments
- Leads reporting and monitoring on ACGF and IFF operations
Innovative country programs, policies and project concepts especially with a climate/green finance focus
- Reviews, leads discussions (with government agencies and ADB teams) and provides inputs to Country Partnership Strategies, Country Operations Business Plans, and SERD project pipelines, to introduce innovation approaches [e.g. new development/sector/Sustainable Development Goals (SDG)/green finance goals; carbon/ocean credit schemes; technology; leveraged finance approaches; policy changes]
- Works closely with selected ADB sector and country staff to develop innovative project concepts in a local or regional context
Origination and implementation of innovative project pipelines
- Undertakes dialogues with country and sector staff and government agencies to undertake in-country roundtables, project pitches, and project concept formulation to develop a pipeline of innovative projects (in close discussion and coordination with PSOD for private sector projects); provides feedback to relevant ADB departments on required ADB products, cofinancing projects (in close discussion and coordination with PSOD for commercial cofinacing), and local currency options
- For both the ACGF/IFF and the larger Hub, develops structured capacity building programs (with global leaders in this area) on key development and innovative finance areas including structured, capital markets and blended finance, SDGs, green finance, oceans pollution amongst others
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master’s degree in, or equivalent, in Business Administration, Environment, Sustainable Development, Finance, Economics, or related fields; University degree in Business Administration, Environment, Sustainable Development, Finance, Economics, or related fields combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- At least 8 years of relevant professional experience in developing advanced green frameworks and climate methodologies, and, of green/climate finance funds and operations of global development agencies;
- Experience with leveraged finance/blended finance approaches, particularly in the infrastructure context of developing countries;
- Experience with multilateral development agencies and ASEAN governments;
- Experience in leading development related policies and origination efforts would be an advantage;
- Experience in working across developing and developed sectors/countries would be an advantage;
- Knowledge of ADB processes, departments and products would be an advantage;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English;
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for IS4.
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.