UNICEF MENA RO Amman
Job no: 528062
Position type: Temporary Appointment
Department/Office: Amman, Jordan
Categories: Information Communication Technology, NO-1
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
Purpose of the Job
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Head of ICT, the ICT officer will act as a business analyst by providing technical support to UNICEF programmes in navigating the technology landscape of Jordan, and identifying, assessing, and integrating technological solutions, standards, and tools to deliver results for children in Jordan. The ICT officer is responsible for supporting and strengthening internal capacity to implement digital development tools and initiatives, identify emerging information and communication technologies for humanitarian and development response, engage with key tech partners, assess reusable and replicable technical building blocks, and maximize potential for technology for development scale-up and roll-out. The ICT officer will work with all sections to build and adopt scalable, sustainable, and demand-driven technological solutions that address development challenges and accelerate results for children. The ICT officer will support the Head of ICT, in identifying regional and global trends in digital development; examining initiatives with programmatic counterparts and assessing opportunities for utilization; advising government counterparts, strengthening partnerships and supporting capacity building with local and regional stakeholders; supporting the design and development of T4D initiatives, software applications and hardware components; coordinating testing and supporting the deployment of T4D initiatives with internal and external staff members, consultants and/or companies; working with programmatic counterparts to oversee testing, scale-up and handover phases of various initiatives; and monitoring and evaluating outcomes.
How can you make a difference?
1. Provides technical support with the development, and solutions design to identify the right architecture and technology
- Provide support and technical assistance to the country office in the identification, selection, concept design, deployment and sustainability of technology interventions to address bottlenecks towards the achievement of programme results.
- Develops, implements, and maintains system documentation and source code to ensure compliance with UNICEF policies and standards.
- Identifies benefits, risks, and alternatives in proposed system designs and their impact on the interface with other systems.
- Supports the system development, programming, testing, debugging and implementation of new applications and systems and customizing existing applications, in accordance with global policies and guidelines.
- Work with end users to collaborate on user stories, system requirements, and translate those into functional and technical specifications.
- Support agile and human/user-centered design methods to enable user-acceptance testing, evaluation, documentation and analysis.
- Proactively interacts with colleagues, users and user groups in establishing systems/solutions requirements and proposes them the concerned development entity (ICTD, external vendors, etc.), provides training on new systems and applications and monitors optimal utilization.
- Development when required for certain applications using any of the following languages js, jquery, c#, php, or ‘other similar languages.
- Support when required developing and managing workflows and APIs for integration into web applications.
- Assist in the identification, extraction, preparation of data originating from several online and Microsoft office solutions (UNICEF insight, sql-based databases, excel, access)
- Assist the development of scripts and various programming tools for data preparation and loading into corporate business intelligence solutions.
- Design, develop and maintain Platform of applications using available open-source rapid application development tools compatible with UNICEF software environment.
3. Contracts and project management
- Assist programme and operations teams in the management and monitoring of 3rd party ICT development vendors and contractors
- Based on identified user and business requirements develops required technical specifications and statements of work for 3rd party software development vendors and contractors.
- Oversees and manages development, testing and implementation of new software and/or enhancements by 3rd party developers and contractors.
- Coordinates and oversees user acceptance testing.
- Support programme team managing ICT companies’ contracts.
- Assist in developing terms of references (TOR) for engaging vendors, service providers and consultants.
- Assist on contractual process, evaluations and selections.
- Assist in developing project plans for technology innovation initiatives.
- Support in managing the ICT development vendors contracts.
- Monitor the progress of T4D projects, take appropriate control and corrective measures.
4. Capacity building
- Build capacity of programme staff in utilizing and administering T4D tools such as mobile-based system for real-time information, BI tools, data visualization and analysis, among others.
- Liaises with the regional office sections, programme sections and other stakeholders to identify and document requirements for development of knowledge management solutions on SharePoint and other existing UNICEF knowledge management platforms.
- Support counterparts and implementing partners to build capacity and nurture independence;
5. Enable continuous operation of ICT infrastructure and accessibility to ICT services and solutions
- Support in escalating ICT incidents or problems to UNICEF headquarters;
- Support the office business continuity plan.
- Participate in inter-agency events, meetings or discussions to present UNICEF ICT interests, priorities and position.
- Liaise with regional office, UNICEF headquarters to keep abreast of new initiatives and opportunities to innovate and modernize office operations and to contribute to the collective ICT evaluation.
- Assists with the rollout and ongoing support of corporate UNICEF software solutions to automate and simplify business and office processes.
- Analyze technical issues and suggest solutions.
- Provide technical and operational support to end-users.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Education: University degree in information technology, computer science, software engineering, or other related field in information technology is required
- Experience: A minimum of one year of professional experience in identifying, designing and implementing solutions for large scale projects with technical components is required. Experience in managing ICT projects, particularly software development projects is required. Experience in Open source, mobile and emerging technologies and working experience in an agile software development environment is highly desirable. Demonstrated substantial hands-on experience in software development of web-based applications using Microsoft frameworks tools and platforms, e.g. .Net, MS SQL, and Open Source platforms, e.g. PHP and MySQL is an asset. General experience in other technical areas, i.e. network administration, and support services management is an asset. Knowledge on information systems requirements and analysis gathering is an asset
- Language: Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
Our core values of Commitment, Diversity, Accountability, Trust and Integrity as well as our core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Advertised: Nov 21 2019 Jordan Standard Time
Application close: Dec 04 2019 Jordan Standard Time
Back to list Refer a friend
Send me jobs like these
We will email you new jobs that match this search.
Ok, we will send you jobs like this.
Oops! Please check your email for errors!
Subscribe Recaptcha Privacy agreement
Closes Dec 04 2019
Information Comm. Technology (ICT) Officer, NO-A, Temporary Appointment, Amman, Jordan Country Office, #111946 in Jordan
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) Jordan Country Office in Amman seeks a dedicated, experienced, highly motivated and proactive candidates ICT professionals. Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Head of ICT, the ICT Officer NO-A will act as a business analyst by providing technical support to UNICEF programmes in navigating the technology landscape of Jordan, and identifying, assessing, and integrating technological solutions, standards, and tools to deliver results for children in Jordan.
Powered by PageUp
Full site © 2019 unicef