UNOPS East Africa Hub Nairobi
UNOPS Kenya Multi country Office (KEMC) helps partners achieve their project goals in sectors including: governance, education, health, the environment, grant management and rural development. UNOPS KEMC has over twenty years of experience working in East Africa, including large scale infrastructure projects. With a flexible and responsive presence throughout the region, UNOPS is able to scale up rapidly, through various mechanisms into high risk areas which have proven to be beneficial to partners.
UNOPS KEMC has its own Technical Services Unit (TSU) which comprises a core group of technical staff supplemented by experts employed on a retainer basis. The group conducts feasibility studies and assessments and engages in design and monitoring work. The core group’s skills include Civil, Structural, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, Architects, Design Associates and Quantity Surveyors. Retainers provide additional capacity in core disciplines as well as GIS and sector specific expertise (roads, healthcare, heritage etc).Under the overall supervision and guidance of the Technical Service Unit Manager and Project Manager, the ICT Analyst- ICT Infrastructure will give his/her technical expertise as required to develop designs for new and rehabilitation works including the calculation of quantities and technical supervision during implementation. Travel will be expected to remote sites for assessment and during implementation of the project.
The incumbent will be responsible for the following substantive tasks. The tasks would involve the following but not limited to:
- Review and analyse existing documents
- Review and analyse existing network equipment and installations (field assessments)
- Prepare assessments and designs, together with associated reports and specifications of the ICT installations.
- Calculate approximate quantities for purposes of solicitation of bids for the project.
- Liaise with other technical, procurement colleagues, client and funding representatives as required.
- Co-ordinate the timely issuance of drawings, specifications, quantities and respond to queries as required by design review.
- The consultant will be prepared to travel to any site in or around the countries under KEMC as required and as UNDSS permits.
- Contribute to the review of existing ICT installations and associated infrastructure (civil and electrical) in selected facilities with specific focus on the LAN network to identify gaps and provide recommendations for the design and implementation phase
- Undertake the design of the ICT components in the selected facilities, with a primary focus on LAN network and communication infrastructure.
- Undertake full documentation of components, configuration and procedures for the installation of the ICT networks to ensure it conforms to UNOPS Design Standards and other associated International Codes and standards.
- Contribute to technical plans and advise on feasibility and soundness of proposed approach.
- Assist in technical aspects of the procurement activities of the ICT and Lan network installations as required;
- Assist in liaising with vendors, consultants and partner agencies during the implementation of the project.
- Assist in monitoring quality, measure project progress and record keeping.
- Prepare site progress reports as required;
- Supervise testing and commissioning of the ICT installations and issuance of take over certificates
- Assist in other related duties as relates to the ICT installation and the LAN network in the selected facilities.
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for planning and knowledge building within UNOPS.
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science, ICT network engineering or related field from an accredited university is required
- Advanced Degree from an accredited university will be an asset;
- Minimum of two years of relevant experience in providing technical expertise in developing designs for rehabilitation works with technical supervision is required.
- Experience working on projects in conflict/disaster prone areas will be an asset.
- Experience working in Africa and Indian Ocean Islands will be an asset.
- Excellent knowledge of both written and oral English is required.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement
Contract level: LICA 8Contract duration:12 Months renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
- This is a local post and it is for only Kenyan Nationals or individuals with valid residency work permits are eligible to apply.
- The position is based in a family duty station.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.