FAO in Dodoma
CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST – VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT : 1902869
Food Security and Nutrition Policy Specialist (FIRST Programme)
Job Posting: 02/Dec/2019
Closure Date: 16/Dec/2019, 10:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit : FRURT
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition : Consultant / PSA (Personal Services Agreement)
Grade Level : N/A
Primary Location: Tanzania, United Republic of-Dodoma
Duration : 11 months (with the possibility of extension)
Post Number : N/A
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
Food and Nutrition Security Impact, Resilience, Sustainability and Transformation (FIRST) is a FAO and European Union partnership programme with the purpose of providing a policy assistance mechanism for improved food security and nutrition and sustainable agriculture. FIRST is designed to strengthen the enabling environment for food security and nutrition and sustainable agriculture in a number of selected priority countries. FIRST is embedded within the FAO’s programme management and coordination structure.
The Specialist works under the direct supervision of the FAO Representative, under the overall technical guidance of the FIRST Programme Manager (FAO/Rome), in close collaboration with the EU Delegation, relevant government ministries/institutions, in particular the Ministry of Agriculture. He or she also works in collaboration with key development partners as well as other government line ministries for sustainable agriculture, food and nutrition security and social protection.
Development and implementation of coherent, integrated and effective policy advice, capacity development and governance for achieving food and nutrition security, sustainable agriculture and poverty reduction in accordance with the FAO Strategic Framework and in response to policy assistance needs and demands at country and sub- regional levels.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Design and support the Ministry of Agriculture in implementing an evidence-based and consultative process for developing an Action Plan to guide the implementation of nutrition-sensitive interventions through the ASDP II and NMNAP.
- Formulate, based on a consultative process, a proposal for strengthening the capacities of institutional mechanisms of the ASDP II and NMNAP to coordinate the implementation of activities related to nutrition-sensitive agriculture.
- Develop a proposal for updating the monitoring and evaluation frameworks of the ASDP II and NMNAP so that these are better able to capture the contribution of nutrition-sensitive agriculture to improving nutrition.
- Assess capacities of agricultural extension agents and District Nutrition Officers to design, implement and monitor nutrition-sensitive agricultural interventions through the ASDP II and NMNAP and develop a training programme to address capacity gaps.
- Performs other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in food security and nutrition, sustainable agriculture, or related area.
- Relevant experience in the area of policy analysis and advice related to food and nutrition security and/or sustainable agriculture policy.
- Consultant / PSA (Personal Services Agreement) level B: at least 7 years of relevant experience
- Consultant / PSA (Personal Services Agreement) level A: at least 12 years of relevant experience
Working knowledge of English, and limited knowledge of one of the following: Arabic, Chinese,French, Spanish, or Russian. (For PSA only one language is required)
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work particularly in field positions is desirable;
- Extent and relevance of experience in the field of policy analysis and advice and investment planning, in the areas of food security and nutrition;
- Extent and relevance of experience in facilitating policy dialogue and capacity development around food security and nutrition among a wide variety of stakeholders:
- Extent and relevance of experience in the region is considered as a strong asset.
- Knowledge of Kiswahili is considered as an asset but not a condition
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
FAO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list
Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
Candidates should upload language certificate/s when submitting their application.
For more information, visit the FAO employment website
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline
If you need help please contact: [email protected]
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT