View Position Description
- Noumea-based position
- Attractive expatriate package
- Join the principal development organisation in the region
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 26 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our unique organisation works across more than 25 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Operations and Management Directorate (OMD) provides corporate services to all SPC Divisions and Programmes. It consists of three key departments: Finance, Human Resources and Information Services. OMD is focused on improving the effectiveness of systems, policies and management to provide high-quality customer-oriented services.
The role – the Finance Manager will be responsible of a team of 8 and for the following key responsibilities:
- Coordination and management
- Effective service delivery – effective day to day coordination with finance sections in Noumea and other locations while providing advice and assistance to divisional focal points and ensuring finance processing services meet client delivery standards as well as the organisation’s,
- Treasury – lead the management of treasury functions from Noumea and maintain effective working relationships with local banks,
- Financial and project reporting – work with senior accountants to ensure regular financial reports and project financial reports are prepared in a timely and accurate manner,
- Audits – oversee statutory audit readiness for Noumea and ensure project accounts are in order for any project audits.
- Support to Finance Director
- Audit and Risk Committee (ARC) – lead the development and writing of ARC, liaise with Committee members and provide support and coordination with the internal audit function,
- Wan Tahi Dua (OMD Management Team) – perform point function to assist coordination between finance functional areas and assist the Director to undertake research and write papers as required,
- Other Finance Department areas (PGRA, Facilities, Travel, Canteen, EU PMU) – Assist the Director to coordinate and manage any issues as needed,
- Director Forum/SLT – Assist the Director to develop the Finance agenda.
- Financial regulations and policies
- In concert with the Finance Manager (Suva), lead the review of the finance regulations and finance policies. Develop new policies as appropriate. Coordinate with the Legal team and liaise with divisional finance as appropriate,
- Work closely with other OMD departments, in particular DDG Noumea office, on risk mitigation policies and measures such as the review and update of the risk register and various risk related policies,
- Work with other finance team members to improve processes and internal controls.
- Financial systems development and maintenance
In collaboration with the Finance Manager (Suva) and under the direction of the Finance Director:
- Review the adequacy of current systems to meet expectations on an ongoing bases,
- Develop systems improvement plans as required,
- Develop appropriate working relationships with stakeholders such as ICT,
- Lead or contribute as required in any systems development enhancement work assigned by the Finance Director.
- Assist in the preparation and review of annual corporate budgets, and other budgetary analysis and financial forecasts, working in close liaison with Finance Manager Suva and Noumea based divisions,
- Review of proposed project budgets to ensure compliance with SPC project budget template and guidelines.
- Other general
- Must take a team oriented approach by proactively assisting others in the Finance team,
- Any other task that may be delegated.
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the online job description.
Key selection criteria
- Masters in accounting, business administration or similar financial management qualification.
- Technical expertise
- Have at least 7 years of experience in accounting,
- Management role in an organisation with advanced accounting and management information systems,
- Sound experience in leading teams, affinity for teamwork, and taking the initiative,
- Strong client focus with high level of responsiveness and demonstrated performance in delivering outputs
- Language skills
- Excellent written and oral communications skills for effective communication in English,
- Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a collaborative and inclusive mindset,
- Cultural sensitivity and awareness, and the ability to effectively work with team members from different cultural backgrounds,
- Knowledge of Pacific Island countries and territories is an advantage.
Salary, terms and conditions Required start date – as soon as possible
Contract Duration – This position is budgeted for three years and is subject to renewal depending on performance and funding.
Remuneration – the Finance Manager is a Band 12 position in SPC’s 2019 salary scale, with a starting salary range of 4,580–5,629 SDR (special drawing rights) per month, which currently converts to approximately XPF 654,276–804,095 (USD 6,503–7,993 EUR 5,483–6,738). An offer of appointment for an initial contract will be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration being given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale will be based on annual performance reviews. SPC salaries are not presently subject to income tax in New Caledonia.
Benefits for international staff employees based in New Caledonia – SPC provides subsidised housing in Noumea. Establishment and relocation grant, removal expenses, airfares, home leave, medical and life insurance, and education allowance are available for eligible employees and their recognised dependents. Employees are entitled to 25 days of annual leave and access to SPC’s Provident Fund (contributing 8% of salary, to which SPC adds a matching contribution).
Languages – SPC’s working languages are English and French.
Equal opportunity – SPC is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment is based entirely on merit; in cases where two short-listed candidates are judged to be of equal rank by the selection committee, preference will be given to Pacific Island nationals.
Child protection – SPC is committed to child protection, irrespective of whether any specific area of work involves direct contact with children. SPC’s Child Protection Policy is written in accordance with the Convention on the Rights of the Child.
Police clearance – Successful candidates will be required to provide a police clearance certificate.
Application procedure Closing date: 2 February 2020
Job Reference: AL000253
Applicants must apply online at http://careers.spc.int/
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
For your application to be considered, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume with contact details for three professional referees
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
All positions at SPC have specific screening questions. If you do not respond to all of the screening questions, your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage.
- What are the true pros and cons of using IPSAS for various internal and external stakeholders of organization like the SPC
- Briefly outline key elements of business requirements of an IT based solution for an efficient and effective management of project funding and results reporting in an organization like the SPC.
- Briefly outline steps necessary to overcome ongoing issues of lack of compliance with approved procedures and policies in a decentralized organization.
- How would you analyse the financial sustainability of an organization like SPC funded by Assessed Contributions and Grants, Voluntary Contributions, and largely by fully earmarked project resources.
Job Ref: AL000253
Submitted: 13-12-2019 08:08 AM
Applications Close: Sunday, 02 Feb 2020
Job Type: Contract – International