Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
UNDP Trinidad and Tobago
The position of Finance/Administrative Assocaite is being recruited by the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women on Behalf of the Resident Coordinator Office.
The European Union and the United Nations have launched the Spotlight Initiative, a multi-year programme aimed at addressing all forms of violence against women and girls (VAWG), and harmful practices. It will follow a transformative and evidence-based approach, addressing unequal power relations between men and women and focusing on gender equality and women’s empowerment, as well as ending impunity for VAWG. In line with the principles of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, the Initiative will follow a human rights-based approach and take into consideration the specific needs of women and girls who experience multiple and intersecting forms of discrimination and uphold the principle of ‘leaving no one behind.’
The Spotlight Initiative aims to support transformative change on the ground to end violence against women and girls, in numerous countries globally, including Trinidad and Tobago. The initiative comes with the highest level of commitment globally and will be governed by the UN Deputy Secretary General and the Vice President of the EU Commission.
This position is in line with the spirit of the new generation of Resident Coordinator offices, with the new skillset and competencies required to deliver on the 2030 Agenda, as well as the EU/UN Spotlight Initiative.
Under the guidance of the Spotlight Programme Coordinator, the Finance Associate/Administrative Associate is responsible for the execution of a wide range of financial services and administrative processes in the Spotlight Initiative ensuring timeliness, efficiency and transparent use of financial resources and delivery of services in accordance with organizational financial rules, regulations, policies, procedures and approved allocations. The Finance/Administrative Associate promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UN rules and regulations, standard practices and guidelines.
The Finance Associate/Administrative works in close collaboration with the Spotlight Initiative for solving complex finance-related issues and information delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Implement financial strategies, and adapt processes and procedures in full compliance of UN rules, regulations, policies, and recording and reporting systems
- Perform duties in full compliance with UN financial regulations and rules, policies and standard operating procedures, including internal controls;
- Review and verify financial transactions, activities, and documentation; taking corrective actions as needed and reporting any unusual activities;
- Monitor financial exceptions reports for unusual activities or transaction, investigate anomalies and report to the supervisor conclusions and/or present recommendations for actions/decisions;
- Collect, verify and present information and data for use in the planning of financial resources and the formulation of the Spotlight Initiate programme work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements and execution modalities;
- Provide assistance to the Spotlight Annual Work Plan budget and financial information
- Provide advice and recommend solutions to a wide range of financial issues;
- Monitor the proper functioning of the financial resources management system and programmatic budgets and resources;
- Implement and monitor cost saving and reduction strategies;
- Review with Budget owners and Project Managers, in line with Month-end Closure Checklist, the Project Delivery Status Reports and investigate any overspend;
- Respond to instructions from the Spotlight Secretariat, New York. Undertake timely corrective actions as requested by Finance Section to resolve financial data issues or provide information;
- Participate as a member of the team in the internal and external audits
- Follow-up on audit recommendations to monitor implementation of corrective actions;
- Actively promote a client-oriented finance service.
Prepare and administer the Spotlight Initiative budgets in full compliance of UN rules, regulations, policies, and recording and reporting systems
- Formulate the budget, control allotments, monitor expenditures, and prepare revisions according to the needs of the Spotlight Initiative;
- Track the appropriate and timely use of financial resources;
- Prepare cost recovery documents or bills for the services provided by UN to other programmes or organizations;
- Prepare budget revisions and determine un-utilized funds
- Ensure the maintenance of the control mechanism for development projects through monitoring budgets preparation and modifications and budgetary status;
- Maintain internal expenditure control system;
- Assist agencies with VAT reimbursements with adequate documentation support, as necessary;
- Input data in UN agencies financial systems and monitor status. Keep stakeholders and clients informed for timely action and/or decisions;
Provides administrative, logistical and financial support focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Timely support of all administrative, protocol, logistical, financial tasks and services
- Preparation of high-quality briefing materials for meetings.
- Maintenance of rosters of high-level partners, telephone lists.
- Preparation and management of correspondence, directives etc. on behalf of the Spotlight team
- Use of automated office management systems for effective functioning of the Spotlight Team unit.
- Maintenance of the electronic filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials.
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to Spotlight Secretariat.
- Screening of all incoming calls and correspondence.
- Engage directly and pro-actively with operational counterparts in other UN agencies.
- Prepare and support all staff travel.
- Review of the Spotlight funds expenditures and reporting to the direct supervisor. Preparation of required budget revisions drafts.
Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Conduct training and/or helping organize training events and activities;
- Collect and compile lessons learned and best practices in financial management and services. Disseminate to clients and stakeholders as appropriate to build capacity and knowledge;
- Contribute to financial business operational practices and management innovations.
- Provide technical guidance and monitor performance to ensure delivery of results according to plans and standards of accountability and performance;
- Undertake all trainings in relation to financial management provided, including webinars from Spotlight Secretariat.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely, complete and accurate financial transactions/activities/documentation
- Timely and accurate advice on UN financial rules and regulations
- Timely and regular monitoring of financial resources management system and timely expenditure of financial resources
- Timely and accurate support to budget formulation and controlling allotments
- Timely and accurate monitoring of internal expenditures control systems
- Timely and quality financial support to Spotlight team
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Excellent knowledge of financial rules and regulations and accounting principles;
- Excellent knowledge and application skills of IT tools and understanding of management systems;
- Excellent knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages;
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems;
- Ability to administer and execute financial and accounting processes and transactions.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Completion of secondary education is required.
- Specialized national or international certification in accounting and finance is an asset
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting is an asset
- Successful completion of UN Accounting and Finance Test is an asset.
- At least 2 years of progressively responsible experience in finance;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in English required
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
- This position is open to suitably qualified nationals of Trinidad and Tobago;
- All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment; Please group all documents into one (1) single PDF document as the system only allows one document to be uploaded.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Refer a Friend Apply Now