World Learning Inc. seeks an ambitious Field Director to join our Algeria team. The Field Director is responsible for the overall quality of World Learning programming in Algeria, including rigorous application of internal policies and high-performance standards. This position acts as a support to the Country Representative, specifically focusing on portfolio-wide operational quality, programmatic quality, achieving data-driven benchmarks, producing high-quality reports, and mobilizing partnerships in support of World Learning’s projects in Algeria. S/he/they will provide guidance on the implementation of team priorities and projects, ensuring effective team organization and creating a teamwork- environment conducive to success. S/he/they will represent the Algerian team to outside audiences and be ultimately responsible for assuring that World Learning’s projects in Algeria perform at the highest level of quality.
• Oversee implementation of the World Learning Algeria Office portfolio, with particular emphasis on quality management
• Serve as program manager or technical lead on select projects
• Maintain close working relationship and communication with Home Office managers and support staff
• Validate all program, financial, and M&E reporting and deliverables to ensure quality and rigor prior to submission to Home Office and/or donors
• Provide oversight for all M&E activities, including timely and quality reporting of project activities
Country Office Operations
• Serve as “first line of defense” to ensure consistent compliance with World Learning policies and procedures and with Algerian law
• In collaboration with Country Representative and home office Program Manager, develop operational plans, workflows, data management flows, etc., to ensure that programs achieve impact
• Develop solutions for operational challenges hindering program quality and facilitate timely resolution of issues or problems related to programmatic compliance, efficiency, and effectiveness
• Provide oversight and supervision of Administration & Finance and program managers, and some technical staff. Supervision includes regular coaching and periodic performance reviews to develop individual team members’ professional capacities.
Business Development, Public Engagement and Mobilization
• Assist Country Representative with outreach to local and international partners, donors, and stakeholders to strengthen the network of support for World Learning projects and initiatives and expand World Learning’s impact in Algeria;
• Maintain positive and productive relationships with donors in Algeria and cultivate new donor and partner relationships whenever possible;
• Contribute to the development, drafting, and review of new project proposals and budgets in close collaboration with home-office counterparts;
• Oversee development and execution of communication strategy to increase dialogue with target audiences and increase project visibility in Algeria and worldwide;
• Represent World Learning at public events, as needed;
• Provide Country Representative with input for Country Strategy and other long-term planning, including anticipation of future needs and priorities.
• Master’s Degree in Education, International Development or similar field with minimum 5 years’ relevant professional experience, or Bachelor’s degree with minimum 10 years’ experience;
• Minimum 7 years’ experience in implementation and management of international development projects, ideally in Education or Economic Growth field, including budgets over $1 million;
• Strong leadership and teamwork skills, including supervisory experience in high-stress situations and in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams;
• Demonstrated ability to cultivate strong partnerships with local stakeholders;
• Outstanding writing skills and analytical capacity;
• Experience working with U.S. Government procurement policies, procedures, and funding mechanisms for international development activities; other donors a major plus;
• English and French professional fluency; Arabic professional fluency a major plus;
• Good time-management skills, especially when facing tight deadlines.
Why World Learning Inc.
Eighty-five years later, World Learning Inc. continues to lead worldwide efforts to foster empathy among people from different cultures. Our global nonprofit World Learning offers 79 global programs that improve education and employment opportunities around the world while promoting civic engagement and strengthening institutions. Our School for International Training offers study abroad programs to 2,200 students each year. And the Experiment in International Living has provided semester long homestays, service, and study opportunities to more than 70,000 students since its inception.
World Learning Inc. is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action/veterans/ADA employer, committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce.
- Job City Algeria