CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST – VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT : 1902773
Evaluation Specialists (2-3 positions)
Job Posting: 18/Nov/2019
Closure Date: 02/Dec/2019, 10:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit : OED
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition : Consultant / PSA (Personal Services Agreement)
Grade Level : N/A
Primary Location: Various Locations
Duration : 30-40 days over the period 1 January – 30 June 2020
Post Number : N/A
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Office of Evaluation (OED) of the United Nations of Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) is launching an independent evaluation of the Information for Nutrition, Food Security and Resilience Decision Making (INFORMED) Programme. OED is seeking qualified evaluators, with a broad expertise related to food security and nutrition analysis and use for programming resilience-building interventions to join the evaluation team.
INFORMED is a joint initiative between the EU and FAO, launched in 2015 and ending in December 2019, aiming at strengthening the resilience of vulnerable people’s livelihoods, by improving the availability of regular, timely information, as well as evidence-based analysis for decision-making purposes. It consisted mainly in the provision of technical, analytical and capacity development support to regional and national government institutions, involved in food and nutrition security and resilience analysis for policy and programming design purposes. The INFORMED programmes focuses its interventions on three main areas of work:
- Improving and integrating data systems for long and short term trend analysis of food crisis situations;
- Strengthening the Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC) process and applying it at country level;
- Improving resilience planning mechanisms through the application of a common methodology to measure resilience, and through knowledge sharing mechanisms.
The evaluation will focus on assessing the overall coherence of the programme, focusing on the interaction between the different components its supports, and with other initiatives supporting the generation of information on food security and nutrition for decision-making. The evaluation will also focus on assessing the effectiveness and sustainability of results achieved through INFORMED, and the appropriateness of the strategy and methods applied.
The evaluation team will gather information from a number of sources, including through field visits to a selected sample of countries, to be defined. It will take place between January and May 2020, with missions carried out around February-March 2020.
The consultants will work under the direct supervision of the Evaluation Manager and under the overall responsibility of the Director of the Office of Evaluation (OED).
The FAO Office of Evaluation is seeking evaluation specialists with a collective knowledge and expertise in the following fields:
- Food security and nutrition and resilience analysis;
- Resilience-building interventions;
- Food crises related information systems and related institutional architecture;
- Econometric approaches and statistical analysis;
- Qualitative approaches and analysis.
Tasks and responsibilities
The Team members will conduct the evaluation, following the methodological approach stated in the terms of reference. Collectively the team will be responsible for the following tasks, under the coordination and leadership of the team leader:
- Develop a specific evaluation methodology, including the development of an evaluation matrix with specific questions and sub-questions, evaluation tools, questionnaires and/or surveys, and other data collection tools, in consultation and with inputs from OED, as required;
- Conduct the data collection and analysis of primary and secondary data, under the leadership and coordination of the team leader;
- Present preliminary findings of the evaluation to key stakeholders during debriefing workshops as agreed at inception stage with the OED evaluation manager;
- Prepare and deliver all evaluation products as stated in the terms of reference, including the inception report and the final evaluation report, coordinating the work with the team members in all deliverables;
The team leader will bear overall responsibility for the approach, methodology and team products. Selected team members will receive individual terms of reference specifying their role as defined in the evaluation.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in relevant disciplines (Nutrition, Food Security, Political Economy, Development Studies, Social Sciences, Agriculture, or related fields);
- From 7 to 15 years of professional experience at international level in the respective fields of expertise, depending on the role borne in the evaluation ;
- Working knowledge of English (at least level C); limited knowledge of French (at least level B).
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Previous experience in conducting evaluations of large projects or programmes;
- Experience and knowledge around food security and nutrition analysis systems;
- Knowledge of the EU’s approach to increasing resilience to food and nutrition crises;
- Knowledge of FAO partnership programmes in areas related to food and nutrition security.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
FAO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list
Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
Candidates should upload language certificate/s when submitting their application.
For more information, visit the FAO employment website
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline
If you need help please contact: [email protected]
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT