December 10, 2019
Post Title: Education Officer
Duty Station: Afar Regional State, Zone 4, Awra/Ewa district
Reports to: Program Coordinator
No. Required: One
Duration: Until October 31, 2020
Islamic Relief is an international relief and development charity founded in 1984 with its headquarters in Birmingham, UK. As well as responding to disasters and emergencies, Islamic Relief promotes sustainable economic and social development by working with local communities – regardless of race, religion or gender. The office officially started operation in Ethiopia in 2004. Islamic Relief Ethiopia (IRE) is operational in the Somali Regional State with a base office in Hargelle, Elkere, Bare, Dekasuftu, Jigjiga, Afar Regional State; Ewa & Gulina and an additional operational office in Addis Ababa. For more information please visit our website: http://www.islamic-relief.org/work-with-us.
The Education Officer will be responsible for the timely and successful implementation of education sector activities in Awra woreda delivering the target deliverables of Empowering Girls through Education (EGE) Project. S/he will work in close collaboration with and active involvement of woreda education officials, teachers/facilitators, cluster supervisors, Parent Teacher Associations (PTAs), students and the communities.
The Education Officer is a senior technical position at woreda level under the EGE project, and s/he is accountable for the education sector results/outputs to be achieved in the woreda contributing to the achievements of education sector in the project.
- Strengthen the capacity of government education officials:
- Organize joint supervision and mentoring visits to schools and ABEs with woreda education office staff and provide technical support to cluster supervisors to enhance their supervisory support to teachers and facilitators.
- Identify the gap and organize training for woreda education office staff.
- Strengthen communities’ capacity to be more effectively engaged in education service provision:
- Provide support to Education Coordinator as necessary to develop and implement a Community Based Communication strategy.
- Work with the community development worker in mobilizing communities through interactive methodologies.
- With support of Education Coordinator and in collaboration with woreda education officials and Regional education bureau (where appropriate and necessary), setup train and support Centre Management Committees (CMC)/Parent Teacher Associations as per the standard guidelines of the regional education bureau.
- Setup school clubs and enable them to work towards awareness raising on importance of education
- Improve the quality of Educational services with quality inputs to the local education system
- Supervise the maintenance/construction of schools or ABE Centers and provision of various materials to intervention sites.
- Identify the gap in reference books and prepare list of books in consultation with teachers, students, and school administration.
- Follow up students performance & look for solution to boos students’ performance in school.
- Programme implementation and management effectiveness
- Support Education Coordinator in effective contribution in planning, monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning processes.
- Promote/ensure use of key government and IR tools and guidelines to ensure the quality of work.
- Coordination and networking
- Be aware of national and regional policies, strategies and other initiatives and developments by government and other stakeholders in relation to education for pastoralist communities in Somali region.
- Identify and establish good working relationships with all key stakeholders in the sector at woreda level, particularly with woreda education officials and other administrative and community structures and ensure their engagement in programme implementation and management
- Participate and/or strengthen Woreda/zonal based education sectoral coordination.
- Develop good relations with other NGOs, other development actors working in the sector at Woreda level
- Monitoring, Reporting and Documentation
- Write monthly/quarterly/annual reports about the programme as necessary
- Collect data from intervention areas as specified by the Education Coordinator including case studies and classroom observation.
- Sharing of monthly/quarterly/annual reports to line manager, M&E Coordinator and Program Manager.
- Document any experience/learning, achievements, challenges and general situation from the programme implementation for dissemination and sharing widely within and outside IR.
External: Government partners at local level and other external visitors visiting the project site. Networking with other NGOs, agencies or relevant bodies at Woreda level regarding the project work.
Internal: regular day-to-day contact with the Woreda level Programme staff, other education technical advisors, managers, the Programme manager.
Other: Consortium partners, other local and international NGOs and partners operating in the same area or sector, beneficiary communities and Woreda government officials.
- Bachelor Degree in social sciences with a minimum of 5 years work experience in the areas mentioned above especially on education projects
- Enthusiasm to work with the local communities.
- Experience in working with government counterparts and other partners at woreda/regional level
- Fluency in Afari language is an advantage
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Good understanding of the education sector in Afar region.
- Demonstrable experience in facilitation of trainings/workshops
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to work with a multi-sectorial team
- Working knowledge of computers (particularly Excel, Word and databases)
- Previous relevant experience in INGO sector is an asset
How to Apply
- Interested candidates are required to submit a complete application form with all required supporting documents (updated CV, copy of credentials and testimonials) through [email protected].
- You can access the application form with this link: http://www.islamic-relief.org.et/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Employment-Application-form-1.docx. Failure to follow the instructions will invalidate your application.
- Closing date for the application is December 20, 2019.
- Due to the high volume of application, we regret that we will be able to contact only the shortlisted candidates.
- Job City Awra.Ewa, Afar