ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT SECTOR MANAGER – REF: EDM/02/11/2019
Follow this company
Founded in 1945, CARE is a leading humanitarian and development organization fighting global poverty. CARE places special focus on working alongside women and girls because, equipped with the proper resources, they have the power to lift whole families and entire communities out of poverty. CARE commenced its humanitarian programme in Kenya in 1968. Since then we have built a substantial development and humanitarian program including refugee operations, emergency response, livelihoods, food security, climate change adaption, sexual reproductive and maternal health, women and girls’ economic empowerment, and youth employability. Job Description
JOB SUMMARY & PURPOSE:
The Economic Development Manager is responsible for managing the Economic Development Program. The role will also lead in supporting CARE’s wider efforts to strengthen women’s economic empowerment and all livelihood initiatives and transformative approaches across CARE Kenya’s Programs and work. The role holder is responsible for developing and/or adjusting the strategic direction for the program as is warranted. The role involves both the public and private sector (financial and enterprise related) partnerships where s/he is responsible for aiding business planning and decision-making responsibility by providing appropriate leadership in economic empowerment/livelihoods, financial inclusion and micro enterprise development aimed at inclusive program growth. The incumbent will be responsible for representing CARE for technical co-ordination, support and advocacy with other agencies involvement in economic development programming. The incumbent will be provide leadership to create innovative and creative economic development programmes.
The role is responsible and accountable for the technical and human resource management of the Economic Development staff and ensures efficient and effective attainment of program objectives and goals while also adhering to organizational strategy and goal. The incumbent directly supervises Project Managers/ Coordinators in their day to day management of projects/grants. The incumbent coordinates the integration of Economic Development strategy with other CARE sectors/programs strategies for a holistic approach in development in line with country office strategic plan. The incumbent works in collaboration with the Program Director and other senior CARE Kenya staff and in close collaboration with the National and County Governments and partnership with donors, promotes the growth and positive impact of the Economic Development Program in the Country Office. The incumbent facilitates and supports staff competence through training, coaching and demonstration where gaps are seen and as part of staff development.
The role has a number of cross-organizational functions linked to work with supporting other CARE Programs and Functions by closely working with Finance, Procurement, Human Resources and other Programs as well as CARE Member Partners.
RI. Sector Management 30 % of time
1) Develops and manages the Economic Development Programe by contributing to the development and adjustments of strategy as needed.
2) Ensures that project managers and coordinators adhere to the projects design and donor regulations. In collaboration with the project managers and coordinators; plans, leads, and coordinates the implementation of Economic Development strategy.
3) Supports in the design of new projects and develop budgets for same. Reviews narrative and financial reports for understanding and all reports to donors.
4) Provides leadership where appropriate and in agreement with partners, to advocacy and information work in support of partner’s efforts with relevant stakeholders in the region and with the CI partners.
5) Ensures timely and effective implementation of all project interventions as well as successful achievement of proposed outcomes and impacts.
6) Support safeguarding CAREs policies on PSEA, Child protection, Safety& Security and other policies
R2. Program Design/Sector Growth 25 % of time
1) Develop innovative letters of intent, concept papers, budgets and proposals. Conducts assessments as needed to realise product.
2) Undertakes strategic analysis of the Program; assist with strategic planning while coming out with both short-term and long-term business development plans.
3) Works closely with the government line ministries, Access Africa, donors, CARE Member Partners, the private sector and both local and international NGOs for promotion and development of pro-poor financial services and economic initiatives.
4) Develops capacities of program staff, and any other identified stakeholders mainly through training to produce competent partners, who are imperative for growth and sustainability Economic Empowerment initiatives.
5) Analyses country and regional economic development needs and possible scenarios. The incumbent will take an active role in technical co-ordination, support and advocacy with other stake holders and technical agencies relevant to the sector.
6) Complements staff and partners’ thematic understanding on Women Empowerment and livelihoods, contributing to the development of relevant interventions that bring about positive change
R3: Administration 25 % of time
1) Invests in partners’ capacities, by jointly identifying needs, developing plans to strengthening capacities, identifying sources of support, and allocating resources.
2) Engages with donors, research institutions, consultants and universities for studies / researches for further development of the livelihood methodologies, social –economic impacts of Economic Empowerment in poverty reduction and using lessons for replications.
3) In liaison with the country office Program Quality & M&E team; develops sector M&E framework and ensure that all the projects/ programs log-frames and objectives fall with the sector M&E framework and finally develop tools and systems for tracking the developments. Ensure that strong monitoring, evaluation and knowledge management systems are in place within the Programme. Supports the project officers to set up and maintain effective complaints and feedback mechanisms to ensure that youth concerns are addressed in a timely and effective manner.
4) Jointly responsible with partners for the effective implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting on projects, in line with jointly agreed standards and donor requirements
R4: Internal and External representation 10 % of time
1) Coordinates with relevant stakeholders including Local Government, National Government, relevant stakeholder, national networks and other agencies working in/on livelihood opportunities for women empowerment where applicable.
2) Sustains relationships with CARE Members and other relevant bi-lateral agencies on women empowerment and participation in sessions/ events with supporters, communities of practice and working groups.
R5: Other Duties as required 10 % of time
Note: It is possible that significant aspects of this JD will be subject to change, and it is expected from incumbents to exhibit a high level of flexibility in order to be able to adjust to the changing nature of the context and the role.
Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences. Desired: Master’s degree.
Technical Skills & Experience required:
1) Minimum of 8 years field and technical experience with economic development programs and financial inclusion with an INGO/NNGO
2) Strong grant management and financial analysis skills;
3) 5 years of personnel management experience;
4) Ability to develop well-written, cohesive analysis in order to write proposals and reports;
5) Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills in English.
1) People Skills: Ability to work independently and as a team player who demonstrates leadership and is able to support and train local and international staff and also able to work with disaster affected communities in a sensitive and participatory manner.
2) Communication Skills: Well developed written and oral communication skills. Able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders as a representative of CARE. This includes effective negotiation and representation skills.
3) Integrity: Works with trustworthiness and integrity and has a clear commitment to CARE’s core values and humanitarian principles.
4) Resilience/Adaptability and flexibility: Ability to operate effectively under extreme circumstances including stress, high security risks and harsh living conditions. Works and lives with a flexible, adaptable and resilient manner.
5) Awareness and sensitivity of self and others: Demonstrates awareness and sensitivity to gender and diversity. Have experience and the ability to live and work in diverse cultural contexts in a culturally appropriate manner. Has a capacity to make accurate self-assessment particularly in high stress and high security contexts.
6) Work style: Is well planned and organized even within a fluid working environment and has a capacity for initiative and decision making with competent analytical and problem solving skills.
7) Knowledge and skills: knowledge of CARE policies and procedures, Sphere and the Red Cross/ NGO Code of Conduct. Requires general finance, administration, information management and telecommunication skills and proficiency in information technology/ computer skills.
1) Level: Spending authority- As per CARE Kenya Policy.
2) Work under the supervision of, in close collaboration to and with support from the Program Director
This position is based in Nairobi but with regular Visits/Support to the sub offices approximately 30%.
You can cancel email alerts at any time.
Deputy Director-Economic,Social And Cultural Rights-KNCHR/ADM/ DD/03/2019
Senior Business Development Manager – IT Solutions