The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the UN’s global development network, working in 177 countries and territories. In Bosnia and Herzegovina, UNDP is committed to helping the country through strengthened national and local capacities to carry out political, economic and social reforms and promote development. In the programmatic period 2015 – 2019, UNDP BiH supports the following programme priorities: (a) access to justice and increased human security; (b) reduction of regional, economic and social disparities; (c) sustainable management of environmental and energy resources, and green jobs creation; and (d) access to services and employment opportunities for the most vulnerable. In all areas, there will be an emphasis on conflict-sensitive, integrated and innovative programme design complementing country priorities and tailored to the post-flood recovery needs.
As part of the UNDP BiH’s Rural and Regional Development Sector’s portfolio, Economic Governance for Growth (EGG) Project has an overall objective to improve economic development in BiH and create employment opportunities in prospective industrial sectors. Project activities include support to start-up development in the advanced technologies area and strengthening education system to respond to modern economy labor force needs.
Under the direct supervision of the Local Development Programme Manager, the EGG Project Officer will provide technical and administrative support ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. The incumbent will primarily be responsible for the effective implementation of the EGG project’s field activities related to economic development. He/she will support interventions related to economic development throughout BiH, closely working with project’s partners, in line with the project document and action plans. The incumbent will maintain good relations and will work together with key local partners, to include representatives of public, private and NGO sectors.
The incumbent is furthermore expected to promote a client, quality and result-oriented approach consistent with UNDP’s rules and regulations. He/she will work in close collaboration with projects’ staff to ensure effective implementation modalities, exchange information and maintain consistent service delivery. The employee will be based in the UNDP office in Sarajevo but with foreseen field travel throughout the EGG project’s area of implementation.
Provide support to implementation of economic development activities in selected localities:
- Supports effective implementation of economic/poverty reduction components/activities in selected EGG municipalities, as per annual work plans;
- Closely coordinates with other EGG project staff;
- Ensures efficiency in the provision of support to local stakeholders in economic and private sector development;
- Contributes to the development of local development strategies and implementation plans in the area of economy, jobs creation and, in general, entrepreneurship and business expansion;
- Contributes to the identification of investment opportunities and proposes measures to improve business environment at the local level;
- Supports partner organizations and upstream stakeholders in building and sustaining downstream market linkages, networks and partnerships;
- Coordinates the activities among consultants, services/goods providers and other economic/poverty reduction components/activities in the selected municipalities;
- Monitors field activities implementation for the economic/poverty reduction components/activities under EGG project;
- Contributes to the development of implementation and procurement plans, as well as other relevant documents related to the economic/poverty reduction components/activities;
- Prepares terms of reference for the selection of service providers (individuals or companies);
- Assists the organization of field visits, missions and conferences and other logistics arrangements as required by the project activities;
- Provides support in the organization of external evaluation of assigned projects.
Provide support to the Local Development Programme Manager in the formulation of implementation modalities and operational tools:
- Constantly analyses the economic environment in BiH, particularly in selected localities in order to identify economic development opportunities that could have positive development impact;
- Participates in the proposals/ideas formulations for local economic development, including available regional and national frameworks and programs (public and private);
- Supports the development of the most suitable and effective concepts, implementation methods and tools (including but not limited to grant schemes, public work schemes, employment generation schemes etc.) to reflect strategic and long-term impact on economic development in selected localities;
- Supports the development of suitable beneficiary selection criteria and guidelines;
- Supports the review of progress in terms of timeliness, relevance and efficiency.
Ensure cooperation and synergy among key local stakeholders at the local level:
- Provides support in order to ensure synergies of the economic development component with other efforts of the local governments and international community in selected localities;
- Identifies and supports the realization of synergetic initiatives and/or contribution from various stakeholders, which would add value and maximize the specific economic development results;
Support to the EGG Project Team in effective mainstreaming of gender equality:
- Supports the Local Development Programme Manager and the EGG project team in ensuring gender mainstreaming throughout the economic development component activities, work plans, budgets, reports, research, analyses and, where specifically relevant, analyze it in detail.
- Ensure gender equality is mainstreamed throughout economic development component team, consultants and contracted companies.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda/Support the preparation of information for advocacy
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for a variety of audiences
- Makes research of contacts in the media, government, private sector, donors, other agencies, civil society in other stakeholders for UNDP’s advocacy efforts
Results-Based Programme Development and Management/Contributing to results through provision of information
- Provides information for linkages across programme activities to help identify critical points of integration
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals
Building Strategic Partnerships/ Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
- Maintains databases of donor information
- Tracks and reports on mobilized resources
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches/ Implementing processes and uses products
- Documents and tracks innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
- Tracks bottlenecks, problems and issues, and proposes solutions
- Responds positively to new approaches
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing/Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise/Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools, and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Client Orientation/ Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Demonstrates/safeguards ethics and integrity
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, disabilities, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people and partners fairly without favouritism;
- Demonstrates corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Good diplomatic and interpersonal skills
- Ability to liaise effectively with government and stakeholders;
- Sound judgment and problem-solving skills
- Acts as a team player and facilitates team work
- Facilitates and encourages open communication in the team, communicates effectively
- Creates synergies through self-control
- Manages conflict
- Learns and shares knowledge and encourages the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each employee.
- Informed and transparent decision making
- University degree in the field of Business, Economics, Engineering and / or Development.
- At least 4 (four) years of relevant professional experience in the field of economic, rural or private sector development in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Understanding of development trends in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Fluency in English and BiH languages
- Excellent computer skills and ability to use information technologies as a tool and resource;
- Ability and willingness to travel within BiH.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 12 months